PDA

View Full Version : Front Spring Installation trouble!

yaboiraqui
11-27-2013, 06:31 PM
I have a 98 C230 and recently found some nice H&R lowering springs at the junkyard and took them for a steal ($70 for a set of 4)

I got the rears done with no problem.

A friend and I had tried getting the fronts removed but couldnt get it out. We took off pretty much every bolt we could. Wishbone, Sway, Tie Rod, etc... put the compressors in and everything and we couldnt get them out. We tried pushing the hub down but it didnt wanna go down for us :(

as of now the car sits with the rear lowered. It looks like I have 2 dead bodys in the trunk.

Need help on what I should do. I dont wanna take it to a shop and pay them to have them do it when I have all the tools at home and could do it myself.

What bolts should I remove in order to do everything?

RemoLexi
11-27-2013, 07:33 PM
-1st unbolt swaybar link

-loosen the lower control arm bolts at the chassis, just loosen them

- unbolt the shock from the lower control arm,

- loosen the nut on the lower balljoints, and using a brass hammer pound at the base (not the thread) to loosen it free.

Use a floor jack under the balljoint, jack it up slightly and remove the nut you loosened at the balljoint, swing the spindle off the balljoint and aside, be careful because the floor jack is holding the spring tension, lower the control arm down and the spring should fall out.

svt ricco
12-05-2013, 04:14 PM
I still remember the day you put on my h&r's!

thegame
12-06-2013, 07:26 PM
the front springs are a bitch even with the MB spring compressor. i remember it took about 5-7 tries to get it get each one off.

vaspen
12-15-2013, 03:21 PM
lol there a bitch haha XD yes all I did was unbolt the lower control arms tie down the spring to the lift and smacked them out with a long crow bar and hammer (we tied to both posts to limit where she sprung XD redneck lowering )

shizzy
12-15-2013, 07:46 PM
I think we had two compressors on each on the front?

vaspen
12-17-2013, 05:11 AM
snap on compressors :3 u just cant beat those get a set of them
did you jack up on the lower controle arm the whole way before u set the compressors in ? (to where you could still get the tool in the coils )

yaboiraqui
12-20-2013, 09:09 PM
Got everything done. Took a while and a little prying but everything was able to come out nice. :)