PDA

View Full Version : Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!

202rules
11-05-2003, 09:36 AM
I just got an estimate on painting and installing the body kit I have from Maaco, they want $1280 :eek: :confused: :(, I thought maaco was cheap!

I asked how much it would be just to fix the couple of cracks that are on there and paint it, and they said $530, so the installation is $750, that's more expensive than the kit itself :confused:

I think I'm gonna be working a lot inside my guarage this winter trying to fit this kit by myself, I've never done anything like this before, so good luck for me :p!!!!!

Luwin1026
11-05-2003, 09:45 AM
Damn that's crazy expensive!! At Maaco of all places!!!

J Irwan
11-05-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Luwin1026
Damn that's crazy expensive!! At Maaco of all places!!!

:werd: :werd:

I don't think Maaco paint jobs is not that great either..

I think they're trying to rip you off on the installation labor ;)

Regardz,

Brabus
11-05-2003, 10:14 AM
Maaco painted my whole car for $400!

202rules
11-05-2003, 10:24 AM
That's what I was thinking, they're just trying to rip me off. I don't think it will be hard to install the kit by myself, the front part I have is supposed to replace the front impact strip, and I need to make some holes on the top of it so that it can attach to the bumper assembly. I believe the rear one is similar, I don't know about the side skirts though. I'm gonna be getting the Hayne's manual soon, so I'll have some time to play around with it on the weekends.

So you think $530 is still expensive for fixing 2 cracks and painting?? I also forgot to tell them I needed to paint the grill and the side pin strips (the grey parts).

Luwin1026
11-05-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by 202rules

So you think $530 is still expensive for fixing 2 cracks and painting?? I also forgot to tell them I needed to paint the grill and the side pin strips (the grey parts).

I think $530 is fair to paint the whole kit as well as the other miscellaneous parts you had mentioned. It cost me around $350 to get just my trunklid painted.

202rules
11-05-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Luwin1026
I think $530 is fair to paint the whole kit as well as the other miscellaneous parts you had mentioned. It cost me around $350 to get just my trunklid painted.

Probably, but they're gonna charge me more for those other parts (the grille and the grey parts). They estimated 8 hours of labor, and I'm finding that a little bit hard to believe, and they said it'll be their best paint job option, which I have no idea how to be sure of.

c230kompresssed
11-05-2003, 10:50 AM
Try looking for some independent places in the phone book, They also can do a really good job..

714guy
11-05-2003, 11:09 AM
so the installation is $750, that's more expensive than the kit itself

install the kit your self, we'll be here to help you step by step, i did that with my fake brabus kit, i have to cut it apart then bond it to the OE bumper, to fit it just right. The shop wont pay any attention to detail. At least try to do it you self. if you provide some pictures of the kit I 'll see how you can mount it on.

sorbo
11-05-2003, 11:36 AM
Dont get a maaco paint job. a friend of mine had her VW painted there and it was nice for about a year then it turned to shit, she is always getting it buffed just to keep the car looking respectable. I even think she had one of the better paint jobs.

I agree with c230kompresssed find an indepent type place, A good place to start looking is (if you have them) your car dealer, we have got a few cars from our benz dealer and he tells me where he gets some of his work done. Also if you have a trusted machanic they will know people who can do good work for you.

If your not sure if they are giving you the best paint job ask to see samples of that work (they should have some thing) and what products they use and how much, layers of clear coat and the name of the paint they use. I am know their is more but i cant think right now.

202rules
11-05-2003, 11:57 AM
714guy, thanks, I might end up doing just that.

I think I'm gonna dump the Maaco idea, I got another estimate from an independent shop, and they guy was willing to bring it down to $800 for everything (which seemed as a good deal for me).

I will try to post pics of the kit soon. Look at these links for the OEM parts

Front bumper cover (This one's gonna stay)
http://autobodypartx.com/mercedes_benz-c280-1995-bodyparts---M230.html

Front bumper molding (This one goes)
http://autobodypartx.com/mercedes_benz-c280-1995-bodyparts---M231.html

On the second one, you'll notice the tabs on the top (and probably on the bottom too), on my kit there are no tabs, just the edge ( a little bit wide ), so I guess we have to cut the edge to make those tabs, unless the whole edge can slide in.

The rear bumper is the same story, the guy was saying if we didn't need to do those tabs, the cost would go down a lot, so I might end up cutting them by myself.

FreeStyler
11-05-2003, 01:40 PM
How much would they charge me to paint the gray and chrome strip around my car?

202rules
11-05-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by FreeStyler
How much would they charge me to paint the gray and chrome strip around my car?

It shouldn't cost much, I would guess a little bit over a hundred. The side panels are easy to take off, the front and rear grey panels are part of the bumper assemblies though, so they might play you with the labor. I would suggest leaving the chrome unpainted though.

fastmayte
11-05-2003, 04:51 PM
the bodykit should cost around 400 to paint with highquality paint. macco sux at anykinda paint work.

202rules
11-05-2003, 08:53 PM
damn again. I just unwrapped the side skirts and they both have two big nasty cracks, they're almost completely broken both from the same end (6" cracks), they were wrapped together. I'm gonna talk to the shipping people tomorrow and see what they're gonna say about this. Bummer!

jnolte
11-06-2003, 01:02 AM
UH Oh Better not get Macco!!

Dont go there, my freind did and it ='s Paint fading and bubbling with possible peeling...OUCH

714guy
11-06-2003, 11:14 AM

On the second one, you'll notice the tabs on the top (and probably on the bottom too), on my kit there are no tabs, just the edge ( a little bit wide ), so I guess we have to cut the edge to make those tabs, unless the whole edge can slide in.

The rear bumper is the same story, the guy was saying if we didn't need to do those tabs, the cost would go down a lot, so I might end up cutting them by myself.

Mine was the same way this is how i went about doing it, I got really strong epoxy and glued bolts to the fiberglassi did about 10 along the top section of it, then drilled holw into the bumper support just big enough for the blots to go thru. I put some exppoxy for that curve that the very top of the f/g bumper. then put it on the support bolted it up(remeber washers also) and clammed the part with epoxy.

I sound very confusing but if you are goin to do i'll try to sketch out a drwing for you. Before i did all of this i trimmed the F/g piece to fit as perfect as possible.

202rules
11-08-2003, 01:26 PM
I just took out the front bumper to see how the impact strip attaches to the bumper, I took a lot of pictures while I was removing it, so I'm gonna post them here and maybe make a post to show how to take the bumper off for people who ask. I was surprised to see a lot of rust; first, the jack holes on the front were all rusted, so it took me forever to take out the plugs that cover them, I'm gonna have to clean those and paint back before I put the side skirts, a bolt was too rusted it broke when I was taking it off, and a lot of other small places had rust. Anyway, it looks like it's gonna take some work to put the kit on, I'm considering 714guy's idea which looks good, lets wait till I post the pics of how everything looks.

I had to buy a disposable kodak camera coz my old camera is broken, and I still have to develop the pics.

note: I called the shipping people to bitch about the cracks (4 of them, 2 really bad), and they said they'll send someone to look at them, still waiting.