PDA

View Full Version : 96 C220 head gasket problems?

js81
02-26-2014, 07:59 AM
Hey all: [VERY long, detailed post - SORRY!]

Been lurking for a while since I bought my C220, decided to join today so I could pick your brains...

First some background on my car: I bought it in Sept '13 with 131k miles. 2-owner, purchased from the 2nd owner; always garaged, up-to-date maintenance from dealership, etc. Got for a great price - has a few exterior blemishes (scuffs and dings), but nothing major, interior is near-perfect for an 18 year old car. Currently have 139k miles and I've run into my first problem with it...

Since my first oil change (done right after I bought the car), my shop told me I had a small oil leak around the oil pan (was living in an apartment with no place to do my own then; we've since moved and I've been and will be doing my own from now on). No concern, as I was only 1/4 a quart low on arrival; just keep an eye on it and get it changed on time (I do every 3k). Last week I was driving her home from work (a 100-mile round trip every day) and my low oil light came on. Since I was due for an oil change anyway, I just assumed that it was due to the leak - we'd had Christmas break during this last oil change and the car had sat for almost two weeks, so I thought I'd just lost a little more oil than normal. Got her home, added about 3/4 of quart and oil was full.

Drove two more days and on my trip home Wednesday, the oil light came on AGAIN. Got home, raised the hood and IMMEDIATELY saw the problem - I had chocolate milk-looking gunk all over the passenger side of the engine compartment. Quickly saw it was from the coolant and a feeling of dread came over me as I realized what was happening - I had oil in my coolant. So I parked the car until I could check it out over the weekend... Good news was, though, that there was NO COOLANT in my oil. Engine should be fine if I can get it fixed.

When I got started Saturday morning, the first thing I did was flush the cooling system and fill the engine oil. FIVE TIMES (well, oil only once lol). I wanted to make sure that every drop of the oil was out of the cooling system. It was running clear (though I knew there would probably be some sludge in the system's cracks and crevices). I then filled the system up with clean distilled water and drove for exactly 2.6 miles. The car didn't overheat and run fine, but when I raised the hood I could see that oil was STILL getting in - the clean water was extremely fouled up and I was almost a 1/2 quart low on engine oil already.

So I flushed it again, two more times. It was running clear, though I will admit to not being as thorough as I was the first time. This time I filled the system with 50/50 antifreeze (not the best stuff, as I knew I'd most likely be draining it again in a week or so - don't judge me lol). I also decided "what the heck" and added a bottle of Bars Leaks Head Gasket Repair to the coolant. After following the directions for the Bars Leaks stuff, I then proceeded to drive her around town, about 20 miles total. And guess what? My oil was still completely full; the coolant looks terribly oily still, but I guess that was residual in the system, as none is getting out of the engine.

It has been 5 days now and I have driven her almost 500 miles - I haven't lost a single drop of oil and the car runs just as cool as always (about 82-85C on my temp gauge). I know that I will need to flush out the cooling system again to get the oil out and I am fully prepared for the fact that I may end up needing a radiator (or water pump... or thermostat... or...) since the cooling system has been so gummed up, but the Bars Leaks Repair stuff seems to have fixed my head gasket problem. Am I just extremely lucky? Probably - most likely, I just lucky enough to have caught it VERY early (within the first 100-200 miles or so).

My question after my EXTREMELY long post (SORRY!) is this: what would you guys and gals recommend I do next? Obviously I need to flush the crappy coolant out, get the system clean, then fill with the correct antifreeze (I figure I'll flush and re-fill with the crappy stuff, run it for a few hundred miles, then flush again and fill with the good stuff). Anything else I should do or look out for? Of course, I'll be keeping a very close watch on my oil and coolant for the next little bit... I've been checking it every day lately. :D

RemoLexi
02-26-2014, 11:02 AM
At this age, yea it is not uncommon to mix water/oil, be prepared though if you remove the head, you may find it will need valve guides / seals and a complete valve job can run 4-500$ itself on that!

js81
02-26-2014, 02:03 PM
At this age, yea it is not uncommon to mix water/oil, be prepared though if you remove the head, you may find it will need valve guides / seals and a complete valve job can run 4-500$ itself on that!

Thanks for the reply. :-) Since I'm no longer losing oil, do you think I maybe dodged the bullet on the head gasket (for now)? And should I use any type of product when I flush the coolant next time in order to help get the oil out? Thanks again!

RemoLexi
02-26-2014, 02:49 PM
I would flush the coolant out with some cheap coolant and possibly some radiator flush,

If the oil stays clean and doesn't seem to burn or lose through the cooling system, I would honestly just run it until you have an issue like overheating or something that prevents you from driving the car. It may buy you some time

js81
02-26-2014, 03:02 PM
I would flush the coolant out with some cheap coolant and possibly some radiator flush,

If the oil stays clean and doesn't seem to burn or lose through the cooling system, I would honestly just run it until you have an issue like overheating or something that prevents you from driving the car. It may buy you some time

Yeah that's the plan. So far so good - nothing lost at all in about 400 miles. Gonna flush again and change my oil, then hopefully all will be good. I have every intention to drive it into the ground. :-)

RemoLexi
02-26-2014, 06:47 PM
On something that old, with a high chance that you need a headgasket, I wouldn't bother with any special coolant.

Off the shelf green will be fine.

js81
02-27-2014, 03:24 AM
Thanks for your help. Still looking good today; according to my dipstick, I haven't lost any oil at all. Gonna flush coolant again this weekend and refill with the cheap green stuff. I'll run that for a while and if it looks oily, I'll do the same again. Once its clear, I may flush and fill with the Zerex G-05 stuff that's supposed to be MB approved; its only a couple bucks more per gallon, so why not. Plus, if I have to flush and fill two more times, I'll be out of green stuff anyway. Hopefully the head gasket will hold out for another year or two; then I can reevaluate whether it'd be worth spending the money on it or not. Thanks again!

RemoLexi
02-27-2014, 11:42 AM
I did one last summer, just a headgasket and we did send the head to the machine shop for resurfacing and cleaning.

I gave the guy a hookup, ran him $1100 parts, labor including the machine shop.

Let me know if your in NorCal.

js81
02-28-2014, 04:09 AM
Thanks - unfortunately I'm half a country away... in Kentucky. :) All seems to be good for now, though I know I'll end up having it done eventually, anyway - just wish I could get it down anywhere near $1100 lol. Phone call estimates from my little home town (with no MB dealer or shop anywhere close) is putting me in the $2k range. :(

202brabus
02-28-2014, 07:55 PM
Have you checked your transmission fluid level? The trans cooler is built into into radiator, Ive seen them fail before. If that's the case then you'll need a new radiator.

js81
02-28-2014, 08:11 PM
Have you checked your transmission fluid level? The trans cooler is built into into radiator, Ive seen them fail before. If that's the case then you'll need a new radiator.

Yeah I have. ATF is full and no signs of coolant in it. Thanks for the suggestion, though. Tomorrow I am going to flush and fill again, change the engine oil, and do a few other maintenance odds and ends. We'll see how things look in a few days - hopefully the fluids will all stay clean and in their respective places lol.

202brabus
02-28-2014, 08:16 PM
Does it look like it has a new water pump or thermostat?

js81
02-28-2014, 08:22 PM
Water pump was replaced ~10k miles ago. IDK about thermostat though...

202brabus
02-28-2014, 08:33 PM
Maybe it over heated and warped the head.

RemoLexi
02-28-2014, 08:48 PM
$2k+ range is because it pays ~ 14 hrs labor time, so labor alone gets well over $1k!

js81
02-28-2014, 08:49 PM
Maybe it over heated and warped the head.

Not in the time I've owned it and the problem just started last week. I don't think overheating is the issue - though I'm no expert. :-)

202brabus
03-01-2014, 06:11 AM
I would start off with a headgasket and skip the machine shop. Probably a faulty gasket.

RemoLexi
03-01-2014, 07:05 AM
Though the machine shop is only ~$100. Includes checking surface / resurfacing, making sure there aren't any cracked and of course cleaning. Much nicer to work with clean parts!!

202brabus
03-01-2014, 01:19 PM
$100? Might as well.

js81
03-05-2014, 10:07 AM
Flushed and filled coolant and changed oil this weekend. All's good 3 days later, no signs of oil in coolant (save for a very few residual drops floating on top) and engine oil is still checking full. BUT.... (there's always a but, right?) I'm smelling antifreeze nearly constantly while driving. Coolant is full, so I don't think any is leaking - just don't know where the smell is coming from. I did spill a tiny bit (maybe a couple ounces?) while filling, but I figured that would've burnt off by now... Hmm. Oh, and my wiper stalk broke this morning. Go figure. :)

taz069
03-09-2014, 05:36 AM
Js81 I ran a post last year on my 96 c280 head gasket change. I run thru alot of the pieces and costs will find it and give it a bump for you to read.

js81
03-09-2014, 05:39 AM
Js81 I ran a post last year on my 96 c280 head gasket change. I run thru alot of the pieces and costs will find it and give it a bump for you to read.

Thanks, Taz - I appreciate it. I'm sure I'll end up doing it sooner rather than later anyway... :-)

taz069
03-09-2014, 05:57 AM
I found It!! It is in (performance tuning) of this fourum sorry not in the repairs like i thought. I did give it a bump so it is at the top. When you get to the pics check them out. Hope some of my misery helps a little. Have a good one.

js81
03-18-2014, 06:58 AM
Unfortunately, my problem is back... :-( My "fix in a bottle" lasted ~800 miles; I saw the tell-tale oily-greenish puddle on the driveway last night. I still do NOT have any antifreeze in my engine oil, but I've got a pretty good amount of oil in my antifreeze again. Car is parked until I can get it in with my mechanic for a professional opinion and repair estimate. Ugh, my wife and I are in the process of buying a house... a large repair bill is NOT what I needed.

js81
03-20-2014, 05:42 AM
Just got the estimate back from my mechanic... his "friends and family" price to me - $3,000. And that's if its JUST the head gasket, not a cracked head. He believes the previous owner let the car overheat pretty badly when the water pump failed. I only paid $2500 for the car, so a $3000 repair is useless. He has already found a guy to buy it off of me for $1500 - time to cut my losses and move on.

Now I'm just wondering whether to buy another 202 or not... I want one, but I'm quite leery now. I know it was just bad luck, of course, but I can't help being human lol. I sold my 94 Toyota Camry that had 221,000 trouble free miles to buy the C220 - any suggestions on what to look for if I do buy another 202? Any particular years/engines? I saw the previous post about a 98 C230 (non-Kompressor, I assume?). What about the 6-cylinders? I have seen a pretty good price on a LOW mileage C220 (a 95 w/79k miles!).

RemoLexi
03-20-2014, 11:31 AM
I too am in the process of buying and selling a home.

Engine oil pressure is much higher then coolant pressure, therefor it won't have coolant in the oil unless its REALLY bad.

If you were local, $1100 for the repair all day! ;)

js81
03-27-2014, 10:20 AM
@RemoLexi Man I wish I was close (or could at least get the car there)!

Unfortunately my buyer fell through... but I may have a solution. I've found a pretty cheap C220 ($1500) that I'm considering buying. Its the same year and interior color as mine, plus it has less miles (120k vs my 140k). I'm thinking of buying it and swapping out anything that needs swapped. Seller says it runs fine, just has some cosmetic issues (exterior isn't bad, so I can swap interior parts as needed). Obviously, I'll have to check it over for major issues first, but if it checks out OK that'll be what I do.

I was VERY interested in the 79k miles 95 I mentioned before... until I remembered the dreaded biodegradable wiring harness issues! The LAST thing I want is another major issue to worry myself sick over. From my understanding, 96 onward should be fine (other than a very few early 96's?) - is the harness issue really that prevalent with the 94 and 95 models? Am I right in avoiding the 95 like the plague and holding out for a 96 or later (I'd really rather find a 98 C280 than anything)?

js81
04-04-2014, 10:40 AM
I'm thrilled! I found a fairly close (Lexington, KY - 2 hours away) shop that will do the repair for $1100 -10% off, so $990! So I won't be parting ways with my old 202 yet. :-D

js81
04-21-2014, 03:39 AM
Got my car back from the shop on Friday - total bill rang up as $1357, but that included a full gasket replacement set, obligatory oil and antifreeze change, and new spark plugs and wires. All told, I'm satisfied - my only question now is does anyone have any suggestions to get the last of the oil OUT of my cooling system? Shop told me they flushed it twice, but that I'd likely see some "stragglers" - I've got a very thin skim coating on top of my overflow reservoir; not increasing, of course, so no new oil getting in. I plan this evening to suction off the top to get the worst of it and to flush the system at my next oil change. Any type of cleaner I should run in when I do the flush to help get the oil out? Thanks!