PDA

View Full Version : Head/fog light electrical issue

gr0ver
05-11-2014, 07:30 AM
So, this just happened tonight. Went to turn my lights on and drive home, always use the fogs with low beams, and noticed the right side was dim. Strange, but bulbs burn out, so whatever. Then I notice that if I turn my fogs off, my right low beam comes on, but not as bright as the left side.

Upon getting home and doing more testing, I notice the brights are constantly dimly lit, and when I activate the brights, only the left side works. Also, right side fog light is dim/doesn't work when brights are on.

Also noticed, that with the actual dim brights I was seeing a dimly light bright indicator on the dash.

See this video for what I'm talking about:
http://youtu.be/8-1HOpw9TXM

Is this common? Headlight switch? Multifunction switch gone bad? Relay? Not sure where to start with this one.

Thanks everyone

vaspen
05-11-2014, 04:00 PM
sounds like a bad ground I had something of the sort the connections will burn out and corrode could be the culprit

gr0ver
05-13-2014, 12:59 PM
Any suggestions on where/which grounds to check?

vaspen
05-15-2014, 03:52 PM
all lol or ther could be a short in the wiper switch that sits in the steering wheel collum honestly I would just start tracing wires back it has to be a short or a jump of current

gr0ver
05-18-2014, 08:41 AM
Well, I still have yet to check my grounds, but, yesterday out of nowhere they started working correctly again. *headscratch* Yay german electronics!

vaspen
05-19-2014, 05:04 PM
lol I think gremlins are germin haha vyah ?
guy at work has a issue when he puts hiw right blinker on his headlight blinks with it he originaly cured the issue with a new ground this is why I
suggested this lol when you hit your high beams the ground may be shorting from a bad spot in a wire or whatever

gr0ver
05-24-2014, 08:42 PM
So, turns out the problem was at the plug to the headlight housing, wiggled it and all was right.