PDA

View Full Version : Odometer not showing in Gauge Cluster? Light or bad LCD?

AtomicVette
05-20-2014, 11:28 AM
So I was going to get the title for my car and realized I have no idea how many actual miles are on the car. The Odometer is completely dark with our without the lights on. I've tried replacing the light behind the odometer window and even shining a flashlight through while it's on but nothing shows up. So a couple questions..

Are the Odometers/LCD displays on these cars prone to failure? If so is there a repair kit available?

Is the actual millage of the car stored in the gauge cluster or in the engine control computer?

RemoLexi
05-20-2014, 11:39 AM
Not quite sure if the ECU had capability to store milage in the early years ...

You are sure the cluster is plugged in properly? (Stupid question, trust me it happens!!)

There are places that provide repairs, but idk at what cost. So may be cheaper to find a used unit on eBay ect.

AtomicVette
05-20-2014, 12:20 PM
Yeah, I've had it in and out several times so I'm sure one of those times I would have gotten everything plugged in right. haha.

SD202
05-20-2014, 12:56 PM
Are the Odometers/LCD displays on these cars prone to failure?

Yes. LOL

AtomicVette
05-20-2014, 05:31 PM
Yes. LOL

Do they make a repair kit or anything?

wichipong
05-20-2014, 05:55 PM
could be the ribbon has failed... there's a bunch of DIYs on youtube..

W202FTW
05-29-2014, 05:17 PM
Mileage is stored on the gauge cluster only.

Gently clean the connecting points for the ribbon on the motherboard and try to reattach. If that doesn't work find a shop that'll do it for cheap or swap it with another cluster with similar mileage (same MY of course).