PDA

View Full Version : How do i install an Alpine CDE-141 head unit ?

hazeak
05-29-2014, 06:58 AM
i bought an Alpine CDE-141 head unit and i bought a metra/vw/benz harness on ebay for the wires. so do i just connect the color wires to the wires that the alpine comes with? i noticed that the mb deck also has a thin clip on wire, what is that? and it has a black wire that clamps on the back, what is that as well? where do i connect those 2 separate wires that were on the oem deck? also which wire is the ground and where to connect it? also which is the antenna wire? do i need to connect it at all? i dont want to hear the annoying noise of the antenna going up? is it mandatory to connect the antenna wire? also is there any chance here of electrocuting yourself? thanks in advance for your expertise

vaspen
06-01-2014, 02:55 PM
the black wire im assuming is a ground or extra security ground
if you don't want to have a radio signal then you don't need to plug in the antenna its not required
mostly you plug connecters to connecter on the car side and when you tie the radio in with the adapter read the wire diagram the kit should match the colors with modern radios
most radios will have the wire colors on a sticker on the radio itself of what they do
lastly buy a test light hook it up to the battery on the wires (here is how to find ground + and key switch)

1-key off find all grounds and there should be 1 hot wire
2-key on acc find grounds and 2 hot wires
3the wire that goes from hot to ground when the key position changes is the acc wire (usualy red on af/m radios )
now you know the 3 wires that you need to watch for :D
lastly is the speaker wires good way to test this is hook the radio up to have power
slide radio settings to front/left test speaker wires accordingly will usually be in the same set with the power wires
alt way to get speaker wires ....wait for it .....

GOOOOOOOOGLE :P
I hope this helped a little this is like the universal wiring steps for a diy-er who only has cash for a radio
also use tube connecters you crimp not the pinch ones they suck electrical tape is better than the friggin ones you close and pinch the metal thru

editttt the antenna wire is probly the biggest wire in there with a metal post you cant miss it look at the radio you got and look for the big hole kinda offset to everything els that's the antenna hole you should be able to put those 2 together to find the right wire :D

Logic
06-05-2014, 08:01 PM
if your using a metra harness its usually color to color ., if its a bose system sometimes one of those wires is a ground to factory amp chassis . If those clamps are hooking up to the case of the radio there usually ground or needed to be grounded but if its going into the radio like a connection test it first . also amp turn on lead sometimes shares antenna so if that's the case hook up to blue / white .it also helps you list the year make of the car helps too :).

vaspen
06-08-2014, 06:33 AM
any luck with your install ?

hazeak
06-09-2014, 03:17 PM
yeh i installed it with the metra vw harness, but i want to totally disable the antenna. what wire do i disconnect to keep the antenna motor from never turning on? i disconnected the blue "antenna" wire and the stupid antenna still turns on. how the hell is that possible? anyone know how to shut off the antenna permanently? is there a fuse i should disconnect? thanks

vaspen
06-09-2014, 03:52 PM
antenna is in the trunk right ? find the wires that go out to the antenna motor and just disconnect them at the motor

hazeak
06-09-2014, 04:07 PM
so theres no way to disable it from the headunit wires? i cant access it in the trunk its behind metal?

vaspen
06-09-2014, 04:19 PM
you should you just have to find the right wires

hazeak
06-10-2014, 02:46 AM
which wire? 8 wires are just the speakers. then there is another group where i disconnected the blue wire which is called antenna in the manual so how the hell does the damn antenna motor still turn on?

vaspen
06-10-2014, 03:27 PM
hmm could be a ignition wire like when you turn key it will go straight to the antenna instead of the radio to simplify a radio install
my only other guess is to try your best to get to the antenna motor there has to be a way in for factory to install it lol
umm check fuse boxes including under trunk floor-matt for antenna
also can you show me a pik of your car from the antenna side and year/model mine has a roof antenna

vaspen
06-10-2014, 03:37 PM
not shure if this fupa special will help at all lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4yj5_qUdZc

hazeak
06-10-2014, 05:14 PM
also why does my headunit turn on when i turn on the car? i want to turn it on when i want, not autoamtically turned on. which headunit wire do i need to disconnect to keep the headunit from auto turning on? thanks in advance

vaspen
06-11-2014, 07:49 AM
should just have to turn the radio off off when the car is on and it should stay off