PDA

View Full Version : EIS or ECU? Help needed

Abbaso
06-06-2014, 01:26 AM
My car a 98 C230 K has developed abit of a problem. When I put in the key it accepts the key. Turn it to position 2 ignition lights come on but no fuel pump buzz. And then auxiliary fans come on. Try to start nothing. Turn it back to position 1 and then 2 all back to normal car starts up fine.

At first I thought it was the key as its recently been through a wash cycle in the machine ( Don't ask)
Long story short I'm using the spare key and still has the same problem. Don't know if this is related but last night after starting the car the BAS ABS illuminated for a brief moment about 4 or 5 seconds then extinguished before even taking off.

Thanks

John Jones Jr.
06-06-2014, 11:55 PM
Hi, Abbas. I don't want to be an alarmist but I'm sure you're well aware that the ignition switches give trouble but I don't know the exact initial symptoms. As for the BAS ABS, are you sure that it's not the BAS/ASR warning light illuminating?

RemoLexi
06-07-2014, 06:23 AM
Silly question but @ what voltage is your battery at during these events?

Abbaso
06-07-2014, 06:24 AM
Hi, Abbas. I don't want to be an alarmist but I'm sure you're well aware that the ignition switches give trouble but I don't know the exact initial symptoms. As for the BAS ABS, are you sure that it's not the BAS/ASR warning light illuminating?

This morning I started the car it idles for like a minute and then died tried switching ignition off and on still nothing. Ignition lights are on no fuel pump and no crank. It's just dead

Abbaso
06-07-2014, 06:27 AM
Silly question but @ what voltage is your battery at during these events?

It's at 12.1 v was hoping you would chime in Remo as you seem to be the most knowledgeable with the mercedes ignition system
Thanks

Abbaso
06-07-2014, 08:06 AM
Ok left the ignition on and started tapping starter relay on the K40 board with the handle of a screw driver it starts the pump buzz and throttle body buzz. Swopped relay with another still nothing. Checked main power line coming into K40 11.8v checked wires going to ecu and bas module 5.5 v

After tapping and getting fuel pump pump powered I checked power going to ecu it's 11.8 went to the local breakers only one I could find was one that was exposed to weather box was open. Asked the guy what he wanted and telling him it could be water damaged. He looked at it and said I could have it for Free.

Got home cleaned her up with an entire can of electrical cleaner still didn't look too good. Put her on and she fired up right away!!!! :cool:

Abbaso
06-07-2014, 08:08 AM
Mods could you guys please edit the title with solved so it may help others in the future.
Thanks

John Jones Jr.
06-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Great to hear that Abbas.

Abbaso
06-07-2014, 11:13 AM
Great to hear that Abbas.
Thanks John. Car seems to pull much better aswell. No S/C cut out. Will keep you posted

RemoLexi
06-07-2014, 12:19 PM
Soon as you said BAS/ASR lights coming on that indicated the module didnt get its needed voltage, low battery voltage will cause EIS to act funny, stick ect. Along with all sorts of stuff. In your case the K40 (which powers everything up when ignition is switched on).

But make sure you have a good healthy battery. 12.1 surface voltage is a bit low for a daily driven car. Should see 12.4-12.6

John Jones Jr.
06-07-2014, 03:16 PM
I think I'm getting to the bottom of my flat spots too. Won't temp faith just yet so I'll say nothing at the moment!

Abbaso
06-08-2014, 06:28 AM
Soon as you said BAS/ASR lights coming on that indicated the module didnt get its needed voltage, low battery voltage will cause EIS to act funny, stick ect. Along with all sorts of stuff. In your case the K40 (which powers everything up when ignition is switched on).

But make sure you have a good healthy battery. 12.1 surface voltage is a bit low for a daily driven car. Should see 12.4-12.6
It's driven at least once in 2 days so not really daily driven. Battery is about 8 months old.

Abbaso
06-08-2014, 06:32 AM
I think I'm getting to the bottom of my flat spots too. Won't temp faith just yet so I'll say nothing at the moment!
Haven't had time to hook up the LM2 but when I do will keep you posted about my lil flat spot I have between 4000 and 5000rpm

John Jones Jr.
06-08-2014, 08:48 AM
That will be interesting Abbas. Looking forward to hearing good news :D