PDA

View Full Version : Engine losing power on hot/humid days

drewdowns
06-09-2014, 06:35 PM
Well guys my beloved c280 has finally started to give me a few problems fortunately for me though, it isn't anything that renders the car un-drivable.

A few days ago I got a check engine light and promptly drove the car to autozone to have them check the code with their diagnostics tool. Two codes came back with 2 cylinder misfires as the likely culprit and a third code had something to do with the O2 sensor or something (I need to double check) that I assume will fix itself if I fix the first 2 codes.

So I plan to have the spark plugs and wires checked out by my mechanic when I drop the car off to have my new camber arms installed, the guy is very busy and unfortunately I'm a broke college student so I can't just dump money into my car whenever I damn well please I'm forced to wait. So I continue to drive the car and a few days later the light goes out but I still notice a lack of power and slightly rough idle/engine misfire however, it only appears to do this after I've been driving for over an hour or on very hot humid days. I live in Louisville KY the humidity here is usually very high. This morning when I got up around 7am the air was crisp and cool, couldn't have been more than 65-70 degrees and when I started my car it fired up fast/hard with no check engine light and during my commute I noticed a considerable increase in power, the car was pulling like a monster again all the way to campus and eventually back home.

Any thoughts on this and what might be causing this? I plan on having the plugs and plug wires changed as soon as my mechanic has space for me in his shop but what about the issue of the car losing power on hot days? Am I imagining this or is it characteristic of faulty spark plugs/wires or is it something else like a MAF sensor?

Thanks in advance any input is appreciated

SD202
06-10-2014, 07:49 AM
intermittent misfire can also be a failing coil pack. had that happen on my m104 powered c280 before. I recommend changing plugs wires and coils while you're at it. better safe than sorry. As for loss of power. Bad 02 sensors can make the car feel sluggish like its towing a yacht. Factory replacement intervals are every 100k miles. get those sensors replaced asap.