PDA

View Full Version : Brake job

drewdowns
06-15-2014, 07:59 PM
Hey so a few weeks ago I swapped out the rotors and pads on my 99 c280. The pads were worn and the rotors were slightly grooved so I figured I'd do it all at once.

The car brakes mostly the same with a small improvement over all. The brakes function but I would really be a lot happier if they performed better. I wen't with duralast gold pads and the only duralast rotors available from my local autozone, I think they were $30-$40 each so definitely nothing special...I'm wondering if I would notice better performance if I bled the line and put new brake fluid in the system.

Oh and the brakes squeak now when I release them after being completely stopped and they also squeak a little right before coming to a complete stop. Is there a remedy for this or is this a result of cheap parts?

Thanks

Sulaco
06-16-2014, 08:23 AM
duralast is what I use when I can only afford to "just fix it"

Otherwise I spring for better pads. Not a single pad I've ever used that grabbed as well as the MB pads. Not sure how much difference the rotor makes, but the pads are probably your weak link. w202's have abnormally good brakes for slightly-heavy mid size sedans. A fluid flush might help, depending on the health of the fluid.

I once dropped $110 for a set of NAPA noiseless and dustless pads on the front. Lasted 10 years and my front wheels stayed spotless, but didn't quite stop as well as the original MB pads.

RemoLexi
06-16-2014, 08:35 AM
Use brands like Jurid or Pagid. Yes you get a ton of dust, but they work really well. So ill deal with the dust on the wheels.

drewdowns
06-16-2014, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the input. I'll try a fluid flush then changing front pads to something higher quality if that doesn't give me a noticeable improvement.

vaspen
06-17-2014, 03:53 PM
I have the duralast golds the 55$ ones all round but ihave slotted cross drilled rotors no squeak stops good could use a willwood update lol
now I had these on the car when we got it so Im not shure what brand or where they wer gotten from but ebay has a pair almost identical om shure you could get on willwoods site and get some for the factory rotor size

AMG KC
06-20-2014, 05:02 AM
Not sure what the price of genuines are over there, but over here i wouldnt take anything less. Just redid the rear pads a few days ago, fronts still good, i did all four rotors and all eight pads about 6 years ago with factory original gear.

vaspen
06-21-2014, 07:58 AM
should be done about every 2-3 years unless its a garage keeper only

AMG KC
06-21-2014, 03:07 PM
Replace the rotors every two to three years?

vaspen
06-22-2014, 04:31 AM
oh no I meant the pads mostly unless they got warped

AMG KC
06-22-2014, 10:55 PM
Was gonna say!! Seemed excessive!! ;)

Sulaco
06-23-2014, 05:19 AM
my pads always last considerably longer than 2-3 years. I wanna say 11 years on my 1994 C280? That was front pads which I installed in 1999. Back pads lasted about 5 years before sensor light started warning me they were on their way out.

My rotors always last until I warp them... I'm really hard on my brake pedal. My C43 rotors are slotted and drilled and seem to be handling it better.

AMG KC
06-23-2014, 04:04 PM
Ive got no wear sensors on the rear of my C180.