PDA

View Full Version : ESP / ABS lights up on reverse

Logic
06-29-2014, 08:12 AM
Not sure if this is just what I been seeing but this light has come on when I m backing up a couple of times . The first time it did I shut car off and it turned off . Last night it came on again and stayed on when I drove home . Read my manuel and did the turn steering wheel left to right and it shut off . I read if I replace the brake switch in some cases have fixed this issue In some cases . I know It will be needing brakes in front pretty quick. Could that be causing it to turn on maybe too ? My c230 k never did this ....

Logic
07-10-2014, 11:38 AM
I'm surprised no one has had a possible solution of this cause . I may try replacing the brake switch as in some cases has fixed some cases . I have a older reader maybe I can try using that to see if I get a code . The light will turn off if I turn the steering left to right . But will still turn on once in a while . Any suggestions ?

Logic
07-27-2014, 04:46 PM
bump

W202FTW
07-27-2014, 07:03 PM
bump

Get a diagnosis from a competent Mercedes indie. None of us are really going to be able to tell you off the bat what's wrong without pulling out pending and stored error codes.

Logic
08-14-2014, 09:29 PM
Ok this is a update , I still had the lights turning on and after turning the steering wheel to reset it , it would turn off , well I finally tried the replacing of the brake switch . I usually would see the esp abs bas come on after I would press on the brake for long periods of time . Well after replacing the light switch the lights werent going out even after turning the steering wheel wth ? So I searched the internet to find this and it turned it off ! So we will see if this fixed my issue . Here is the post as I read it
BAS ESP ABS Malfunctions

I was successful (Haven't had the problem in about two weeks) in eliminating the problem by doing the following: The purpose of the procedure below is to adjust the brake pads resulting in them becoming closer to the disks, thus making the brakes contact with less brake pedal travel.

1. Start the car.
2. Step hard on the foot brake and hold it.
3. Step hard on the parking brake and hold it.
4. Release foot brake slowly.
5. Step hard on foot brake and release it slowly.
6. Step hard on foot brake and release it fast.
7. Step hard on foot brake and release it fast.
8. Release parking brake.
9. Turn off ignition.
10. Restart car and drive.

If the 3 malfunctions reoccur, repeat the above 10 steps two more times.
My malfunctions disappeared after two tries of the above. Have not had the problem since.

Let me know if this works for you. I cannot be sure that my problem will not recur but it works for now. [/align][/align]

UPDATE: July 15, 2007 I have been driving the car for over two months since performing the above procedure and the malfunction lights have not reappeared. I will update this post if the lights reappear. Would like someone to report that they have performed the procedure and that it did or did not work for them.

UPDATE: December 1, 2007 OOPS! I was wrong about the above. You have to replace your brake light switch. Perhaps I concluded the above was working because the switch function improved by my hitting the brakes repeatedly.

I will add a couple of notes after replacing mine.

To further convince yourself that the brake light switch is causing your ABS ESP BAS malfunction, back up to your garage door or other wall so you can see the reflection of your brake lights while seated in the driver's seatand, with the engine running and the ABS BAS ESP lights not on, hit the brakes slowly several times. You will find that the times that the ABS BAS ESP lights appear, your brake lights did not come on.

trivett[/align]

Tony_AMG
08-15-2014, 07:08 PM
Happened to me. I replaced the brake switch and disconnected the battery for 10 minutes. Plugged and reset steering angle sensor and boom. Fixed my issue

Logic
08-16-2014, 08:07 PM
Happened to me. I replaced the brake switch and disconnected the battery for 10 minutes. Plugged and reset steering angle sensor and boom. Fixed my issue

Reset steering angle sensor ? You mean the steering wheel left to right. ? What's disconnecting of battery do ? I did disconnect mine for a short moment since my lights weren't going out . The procedure up there turned mine off . They did go on again this morning but it shut off doing the steering thing . So if mine doesn't seem to stop maybe I'll have to take it in .