PDA

View Full Version : New C36 Owner to be!!!

cthirtysizzle
11-08-2003, 01:34 AM
Hi everyone, I'm about to purchase a 95' Silver C36 in the next 2 weeks or so. Everything's stock except the stereo/speakers have been changed to an Alpine/I don't know what kind of speakers, an alarm has been installed, and the interior is lined with grey/black suede like material. Mods to be done; clear corners (what kind do you recommend), hood badge instead of the stick up emblem, chrome grille, and I need some new dome lights (the guy has black lights inside right now). Also, does anyone have smoked out headlight lenses/corners or know where I can get some? I was thinking of dropping the car a little more, but don't really want to mess with AMG anything. Any input is appreciated!

jnolte
11-08-2003, 01:45 AM
Nice choice!!

I had a 1995 Silver C36 also! But i totaled it a month ago. I had bosch oem clear corners, Oem Advant grill, Flat Amg hood emblem, H&R springs with extra cut, 18 inch carlsson 1/5 rims staggard-18x8 front 18x9 back with 225/40/18 front and 255/35/18 back Kuhmo ecsta supra 712s. It was a great car and i loved it, things to look for are head gasket leak, bad MAF, bad wire harness, bad o2 sensors those are problay the common hazards with the C36.

Enjoy the car though its a AMG masterpeice!

cthirtysizzle
11-08-2003, 12:29 PM
The head gaskett was changed at 30k miles, I think the o2 sensors were changed during a recent tune-up. I do have to check out the wiring harness, and I don't know what an MAF is. Do you guys recommend any particular clear corner lenses, bulbs, and can you get smoked out headlights/corners?

jnolte
11-08-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by cthirtysizzle
The head gaskett was changed at 30k miles, I think the o2 sensors were changed during a recent tune-up. I do have to check out the wiring harness, and I don't know what an MAF is. Do you guys recommend any particular clear corner lenses, bulbs, and can you get smoked out headlights/corners?

Your Maf is your MAS or MASS AIR SENSOR. it senses how much air is coming into the engine to regulate fuel flow and such. They go out alot. Get all OEM stuff from bosch or other companies they provide best fitment!

cthirtysizzle
11-08-2003, 02:12 PM
Sounds good, I appreciate all the info. So how can I check to see if a new MAS is needed? Also, where should I shop for Bosch parts? Lastly, I've been eyeballin' these for a little while, what do you guys think about these... I don't want cheap aftermarket parts but I can't tell on ebay...

:beard:

Grilles:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33645&item=2441628302

Clear Corners:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33645&item=2441628302
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33708&item=2441908324

Denlasoul
11-08-2003, 02:20 PM
cthirtysizzle:

MAS sensors are kinda weird. Sometimes they set off a code, and other times they dont. Since your is a 95, you will not have the access to OBD II codes, I am not sure about pre-OBDII systems.

I recently found out that you can test the MAS by checking the current running through the MAS at certain throttle points. We can both search to find what the proper running currents should be. I got info for my C43 from a member here on the board. I need to check mine too, car feels sluggish at times.

As for the grill and clears. I would suggest buying the Bosch clears. I say this b/c many people have posted how disappointed they were for buying the cheapos. Anyway, they end up buying the Bosch later on, moght as well buy them from the get-go.

The grill is a different story. I bought my grill from Bekkers. It is actually an insert, all you do is swap out the old and put in the new. You can buy an OEM grille and insert assembly, but I hear its costly. MAybe other members can chime in about their ebay grills.

DLS

sorbo
11-08-2003, 02:37 PM
Denlasoul is right about the clear corners, my cheap corners (ebay) have small gap about 1/4 - 3/8 inch at the bottom (both sides), and that is after some sanding of the plactic to help the fit. they stay in place and aren't loose but the gap bugs me when i am up close to the car.

cthirtysizzle
11-08-2003, 02:46 PM
Ok, so where do I find a good deal on Bosch Clears? This grill seems to be pretty solid (by description anyway) He's also local to me...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6763&item=2441022241

cthirtysizzle
11-08-2003, 02:50 PM
This is pretty sweet, but $1300.00!!!
http://www.bekkers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BI&Product_Code=030108&Category_Code=mhlightcclass

marksbenz
11-08-2003, 04:32 PM
Dont buy those cheap clear corners. It will come off on the freeway. As for the front grill. I had my ebay grill for 1 year now. And still looks new.

Three Point 6
11-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Welcome to the 'less than 970 cars in America' club!

Another expense that will reinforce the old rumor that MB's cost alot to maintain....(W202) Lower A-arm bushings every 30-50K miles depending on local road conditions. Expect $250+ for fix at indie shops. You can tell they(bushings) are bad b/c of audible clunks in front end. A good shop will posses the actual MB hydraulic handheld press/tool made to do the job on W202.

These cars rotating assemblys(engines) are for sure very reliable, its the ancillary stuff that could blow your pocketbook like engine sensors, A/C evaporators & trannies are pigs money wise that is. I think an evaporator replacement pays a tech 22 Hours labor!! You do the math.

Its all a gamble, but any car is from a Dhiatsu Charade to a Camry to a Maybach57. Its a car so they all break and leak a little. So what..... "Lifes too short so drive a Benz"

As far as dropping, I think your stock springs 'cut' will do. I spent the usual $280 on springs and the car didnt feel any stiffer or roll any different. Also, W202's dont have ANY camber adjustment so alignments only do toe & castor. Save the H&R/EIBACH spring $$ to get your grill, badge, corners, or speedybenz rear camber arms(speedybenz is a member who makes adjustable suspension components) These will allow 00.00 camber in the rear. Just cut your stock springs (AMG didnt actually produce them in house, dont get all emotional about value) and get a set of Koni's or better Bilstiens to firm it all up. You will be alot happier w/ looks of the car. $1,400 will lower/slam your car on Brand new Koni shocks, adjustable camber arms the right way with no rub(as long as tires are not wider than oem). $2,000 total should get your car looking like this..........
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid72/p9ea549b5670ac600720f2d57e00b7256/fb7eccae.jpg

PS, your cruise control will STOP WORKING if you install 18" wheels(they look good though)

J Irwan
11-08-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Three Point 6
Welcome to the 'less than 970 cars in America' club!

Another expense that will reinforce the old rumor that MB's cost alot to maintain....(W202) Lower A-arm bushings every 30-50K miles depending on local road conditions. Expect $250+ for fix at indie shops. You can tell they(bushings) are bad b/c of audible clunks in front end. A good shop will posses the actual MB hydraulic handheld press/tool made to do the job on W202.

These cars rotating assemblys(engines) are for sure very reliable, its the ancillary stuff that could blow your pocketbook like engine sensors, A/C evaporators & trannies are pigs money wise that is. I think an evaporator replacement pays a tech 22 Hours labor!! You do the math.

Its all a gamble, but any car is from a Dhiatsu Charade to a Camry to a Maybach57. Its a car so they all break and leak a little. So what..... "Lifes too short so drive a Benz"

As far as dropping, I think your stock springs 'cut' will do. I spent the usual $280 on springs and the car didnt feel any stiffer or roll any different. Also, W202's dont have ANY camber adjustment so alignments only do toe & castor. Save the H&R/EIBACH spring $$ to get your grill, badge, corners, or speedybenz rear camber arms(speedybenz is a member who makes adjustable suspension components) These will allow 00.00 camber in the rear. Just cut your stock springs (AMG didnt actually produce them in house, dont get all emotional about value) and get a set of Koni's or better Bilstiens to firm it all up. You will be alot happier w/ looks of the car. $1,400 will lower/slam your car on Brand new Koni shocks, adjustable camber arms the right way with no rub(as long as tires are not wider than oem). $2,000 total should get your car looking like this..........
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid72/p9ea549b5670ac600720f2d57e00b7256/fb7eccae.jpg

PS, your cruise control will STOP WORKING if you install 18" wheels(they look good though)

Correction

the cruise control will still works with 18" wheels...
Mine has been working just fine .... ;)

Also if you going to cut the stock spring you're going to need more than 1 coil cut.
I personally do not recomment anything more than 1 coil cut.
Basically if you decided to cut the stock spring 1 coil and that's fine, but if you still not satisfied don't cut it anymore otherwise the ride and handling will be shitty. Buy H&R or eibach.

Regardz,

jnolte
11-09-2003, 12:37 AM
i had H&R springs with a coil and a half cut. It was slammed!! I also ran 18s and my cruise control works great also. I dident have very much camber problems but it was still evident. I would sugggest goin all out mang. Or how bout this you wont want to but once the disease catches you, ur addicted to modding, my doctor couldent even figure it out, sleepless nights, stressfull days all thinking of my car:D

Denlasoul
11-09-2003, 01:40 AM
I have H&R springs on 18's. My cruise control works just fine, and there is not much camber either. Ask any of the WA. people who have seen my car. Many cannot believe my setup, they think I did something special to get my car to sit the way it does. I've had this setup for about a year with 7500 miles, camber wear is barely evident.

Also, I disagree about the spring not making a difference. I could tell there was less dive and less pop up when I decel/accel.

The most important thing about the setup is making sure everything is woking as close to stock as possible. Also, I would not skimp out on paying for quality items. Definitely worth the extra $$.

cthirtysizzle
11-09-2003, 10:49 AM
Haha, nice pic, I like the sparkle. At any rate, I really appreciate all the advice, the guy who I'm buying the car from has already had the bushings changed, I think the O2 sensors have been changed, and the head gasket has definitely been changed. Ok, so if I lower it, I don't want to slam it, I want it a little lower than stock so I'll probably have the stock springs cut. Do any of you know of a good shop in the LA area who does this, and I'll probably go with the Konis so a hookup on Konis would be nice too. One last question, where do you all get your clear corners from then? Did everyone really spring $1300.00 for those Euro Bosch Clears at Bekkers?! There has to be somewhere where you can just buy the corners right?

cthirtysizzle
11-09-2003, 11:58 AM
Haha, nice pic, I like the sparkle. At any rate, I really appreciate all the advice, the guy who I'm buying the car from has already had the bushings changed, I think the O2 sensors have been changed, and the head gasket has definitely been changed. Ok, so if I lower it, I don't want to slam it, I want it a little lower than stock so I'll probably have the stock springs cut. Do any of you know of a good shop in the LA area who does this, and I'll probably go with the Konis so a hookup on Konis would be nice too. One last question, where do you all get your clear corners from then? Did everyone really spring $1300.00 for those Euro Bosch Clears at Bekkers?! There has to be somewhere where you can just buy the corners right?

jnolte
11-09-2003, 12:04 PM
OH YEAH, 1300.00 dollars is petty cash for my 202, acually i think its more like 130.00 for them hhahahahhaaa lol

J Irwan
11-09-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
OH YEAH, 1300.00 dollars is petty cash for my 202, acually i think its more like 130.00 for them hhahahahhaaa lol

You could also buy Bosch clear corner lenses alone at aroung $90 a pair at bekker as well.

But if you buy the Bosch HID headlight it will come with a pair of Bosch corner lense as well..

Regardz,

cthirtysizzle
11-09-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by J Irwan
You could also buy Bosch clear corner lenses alone at aroung $90 a pair at bekker as well.

Can you show where on the site they're listed for $90.00 or do you guys have contact at Bekkers that hook you up? If someone could either give me a link or a contact it would be much appreciated.

J Irwan
11-10-2003, 01:45 AM
Here is the link (http://www.bekkers.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BI&Category_Code=mtslight)

pretty straigh forward to find Mercedes- ---> Light--->Turn Signal and Markers.

They used to be around $98 if I am not mistaken.
But then again maybe the price increased to the changes in exchange rate

Regardz,

cthirtysizzle
11-10-2003, 11:04 AM
Thanks J Irwan, I was looking at those, I was just hoping there was a link to $90.00 corners, because there $130.00 now (shipped to my house).