PDA

View Full Version : 1995 c280 Steering fluid recommendation

andy_1100
09-24-2014, 09:02 AM
I have a 1995 C280, and plan to do a power steering fluid flush and change. Went to my local Lordco and they gave me bottle of syntetic CHF 11S fluid, so i bought some from AutohausAZ (better price)
http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/hydraulic-system-fluid-power-steering-fluid-chf11s-1-liter

Just want to make sure I can use this in my car, as most sites recommend to use Power Steering Fluid - Febi 0009898803, when i do a search by car year and model.

Vetruck
09-24-2014, 09:11 AM
I put a brand new steering pump into my 94 c220 last year(shortly after I bought it) and used my Jones Racing synthetic power steering fluid I had on my shelf. Works great. Jones is probably the best stuff money can buy. I use it in all my performance cars as well as the race cars I work on.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/jrp-ps-8009-32s

andy_1100
09-24-2014, 09:22 AM
Thanks Vetruck, i want to use syntitic oil if possible, that's why i'm looking for this.

I think i answered my own question, the website I refered to in my first post, says that it fits:2343

Vetruck
09-24-2014, 09:45 AM
The system just needs any synthetic fluid. Mercedes in germany deals with cold climate conditions. Regular 9non-synthetic) power steering fluid will be thicker on cold startups in very cold climates. when this happens, the pump will whine for a few seconds and does not get proper flow when cold. Synthetic allows cold start flow not to damage the pump. Basically any synthetic will do.

In racing conditions, you get foaming of fluid. The Jones fluid is good to prevent high temp high demand cavitation of the pump. Synthetic also keeps the seals good for longer life of the entire system.

Vetruck
09-24-2014, 10:14 AM
Just to show you also that I know a little about what we are discussing- here is a shot of my 5000 lb sport truck setup I built with a remote power steering resivior. This system ALSO runs the brake hydraulic Hydraboost setup. I run Jones in this setup because of its high demand. I have an axillary cooler in the return line from the steering box (without fans, just cooling fins) and after 3 hot laps on a local track I can literally take that red cap off the resivior and hold my index finger inside the fluid... it stays that cool.

The old system would get so hot it would whine and I lost 3 pumps in 5 years.

andy_1100
09-24-2014, 04:23 PM
OK, makes me feel better, cause i bought the steering fluid and then i started thinking.:confused:
I'll use the one i have, have 2 L. should be enough for a flush as well.
Just realized , I've missed in you first post , that Jones fluid is a syntetic.