PDA

View Full Version : 1995 w202 headlights aiming, help wanted

andy_1100
09-24-2014, 11:10 PM
Looking for a proper way (procedure) how to set all "sliders" and the air bubble.

I bought a 1995 c280 and the headlights were aimed into the sky. I've adjusted the headlights, 25 ft - 4" drop, but the air bubble is not near "0" (zero) at all, which has to be according to the manual. If i set the air bubble at ")" the headllights are aimed too high, and i get incoming traffic flashing their lights at me. So, am I doing it wrong? There are also 2 sliders, one on top closer to the fender and one in the middle of the headlight, what's the purpose?
I've searched the manual , but could not find anything explaining it.

I looked around the back of the headlights and I don't see any type of adjusters (vacuum line or air or any electrical actuators, lateral and vertical aim is set by manual screws only.

Could someone explain, what's the proper way to set the headlights and all the sliders.

Thanks.

Vetruck
09-24-2014, 11:54 PM
I park the car about 20 feet from a wall on level ground. I aim the headlights to what look like a god height that will not blind on coming cars. I then back it up and shine them down a long distance and I go stand down a little way on "oncoming traffic view" and see common sense if it's blinding other cars or not.

You are putting too much book smart into the process. Throw away the book and adjust them with common sense. Best answer I can give you.

andy_1100
09-25-2014, 07:42 AM
Well , that's pretty much what I did, and the lights are OK now,
I'm just curious, what all these little gadgets.

Sulaco
09-25-2014, 09:12 AM
I parked mine in the road out in the countryside and aimed them until they looked right :)

andy_1100
09-25-2014, 01:33 PM
that works too,
but like I said I'm very curious about all these little gadgets MB engineers came up with, what's the purpose? and in the Owner's manual it says, to set the air bubble at "0". Well I couldn't get it to be there.
I thought, maybe there's a Mercedes mechanic in this forum to explain.

Sulaco
09-25-2014, 02:03 PM
I think the 0 is just a measurement for the degrees relative to the flat earth. it doesn't need to be set to 0 degrees, I think that's a reference point. as long as you're on flat, level ground and your suspension is within spec and tires are matched and in spec, your point should be 0 degrees

however, in a 20 year old car the plastics have all slightly shrunk or expanded, suspension doesn't sit exactly the same as it used to, etc. just aim it to where it's right.

my 98 C43 has self-levelling xenon which is AWESOME

my 99 C43 has aftermarket xenon and broken leveling adjustments. I need 2 new headlights on that one.