PDA

View Full Version : whole car shakes over 80kph, misfire and stalling cold start and hard start when hot.

funboy2000
10-09-2014, 04:36 AM
Ok, so the whole car shakes when I go over 80ks an hour. When I brake at speeds such as 100k or 60mph, the shake becomes worse. Any speed below 80k is fine. The car's steering does feel a little lose as there is some play in the steering. When I did a oil change at my mates house, his dad (former aircraft engineer) found some play in my front wheels (steering locked) in the side to side position (pushing the wheel left and right).
I had alignments and balances done but did not fix the issue. Did a wheel rotation, no fix either. They tyres are new and are decent quality. Lower control arm bushings were replaced 15000km ago but I'm not sure of brand as it was done at a shop. When I got the alignment, the tech said my left front shock appears to be leaking, can that cause this?
My car will have the brake lines and upper ball joints replaced for state (wof) inspection at the end of the year. The car had this problem last time I took it in for inspection but found nothing relating except for a split upper balljoint and degrading brake lines, these items are delayed for replacement till now.

Second problem is that the car sometimes will not start properly in the mornings. It will crankover, reach idling revs for cold start and then stall. Sometimes it will misfire. The car will restart fine the second time round. Also, when the car has been driven for a good amount of time, it will sometimes be hard to start. The car will crank for a good 5 seconds and struggle before it will start. The car also feels like it is down on power in the low rpms and high rpms.
Any ideas? Anyone had these problems before?

Would love to road trip in the car as summer is around the corner but I can't have it leave me strangled on the road.

Abbaso
10-09-2014, 10:54 PM
For the 1st problem I would take it to a suspension place that will check it out. They should be able to pinpoint it no problem. I just did the lower ball joints on my dads c250 D with 435000 km they were original. Same play in wheels you describe. I've rarely heard of upper BJ's going on these cars.
For the 2nd I would suggest checking fuel pressure. When last was the fuel filter replaced?

funboy2000
10-31-2014, 01:27 AM
For the 1st problem I would take it to a suspension place that will check it out. They should be able to pinpoint it no problem. I just did the lower ball joints on my dads c250 D with 435000 km they were original. Same play in wheels you describe. I've rarely heard of upper BJ's going on these cars.
For the 2nd I would suggest checking fuel pressure. When last was the fuel filter replaced?

The upper joints were ruined when a shop tried to install spring pads up front. The fitler was changed about 20,000km ago but the car sat around a lot prior, some dirt may have gone through. I was thinking MAF but not sure how to check it?

Dearlove
10-31-2014, 08:04 AM
wheels are out of balance and/or your discs are warped