PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas??? Asap Please!!!

1SIKBNZ
11-09-2003, 10:02 AM
Ok so last night i go out to the city and all of a sudden to yellow lights come on in the cluster on the far left "BAS ASR" and "ABS with some lil circle type things around it" ok so lil worried i believe these have something to do w/ the brakes etc. so not trippin to hard. i keep driving. about ummm id say 30 min later or so after hitting a red light i go to push on the gas and feels like hardly no power at all. i mean it goes but almost like starting in winter mode or even lil less. hmmm so i keep goin testing it out. i floor it, slowly climbs dont feel shift though and no kickdown response. getting scared. drive around a few blocks to see if anything is noticeable etc. same thing continues. i head home for fear of breakdown in the city. on the free way car would not kick down or downshift stayed constant at 60 mph at around 4,000 rpm would climb from there but then release the gas and it would not downshift. i make it hm. i turn off the car and decide to just drive around the block to listen for any noises etc. and figured close to hm if anything happens. turn the car back on lights on the cluster were on for a sec i started driving and the car drove/shifted/etc %110 perfectly. lights went off in the cluster and i drove for about a good 20 min. with 0 problems. have not driven it today yet, and i am for sure bringin it in monday to get checked to see if its a small problem i can catch before a bigger problem results. my biggest feear is of course the dreaded tranny but does anybody have any words of wisdom on this one. i hate walkin into a reapir place (even if you trust them) completly blind as to what may be wrong. so any advice/comments/thoughts/solutions would be greatly appreciated! THANKS in advance!!!

CKlasse
11-09-2003, 10:22 AM
You car went into the LIMP mode. A diagnostic trouble code triggered it for safety reason. Pull the OBDII DTC asap to see what set it off. You can do this at local autozone, or anyone else with the scanner. Merc dealership usually charge $40-60 to diagnose these codes.

1SIKBNZ
11-09-2003, 10:30 AM
Anyone in the BayArea know a good cheap place i can go get this done (pull the codes)? pref. east bay area? Thanks Cklasse. Man i hope its not a major problem! :confused:

CKlasse
11-09-2003, 10:47 AM
1sikbnz,

Keep in mind.. the ECM input perimeter is very narrow on these Mercs -- they are very sensitive! Once, a lil wire slipped through my speed sensor and ABS went crazy on me, another time, I was playing around with the O2S signal, same result - limp mode.

On the other hand, when it comes to the real issues - Alternator producing only 13.2V, or when the MAS doesn't reach its peak voltage - no CELs or warnings. Nuts!

In short, no need to panic, til you actually pinpoint the issue.

Luwin1026
11-09-2003, 09:15 PM
I had that happen to me once back when my car was new - I hit the brakes hard as I saw a HUGE dip, and the ABS kicked in as I was going over the dip - the motor then went into LIMP mode as the BAS light came on.

The dealer diagnosed it as a BAS-ASR fault and reset everything for me - that was when I was under warranty, however - it would have set me back a few hundred bucks. I believe Autozone has OBDII scanners for you to diagnose yourself.