PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Read The Main Odometer Trip Meter, Temp, or Time

Rickleger
11-05-2014, 03:55 PM
I have a 1998 C280 that has a problem with the main odometer. The main odometer along with the time, temperature, and trip meters, are not readable. Is there a method by which the actual mileage can be obtained through connecting to the OBDll system. My alternative is to calculate the mileage based on the average Miles per gallon multiplied by the number of gallons in a given period of time and record that as a cumulative total. This would give me an indication of my miles driven

It is my understanding on my vehicle that the service reminders still work and are preset to 10,000 miles.

Thanking you in advance for your response

kowalski
11-06-2014, 02:05 AM
do you have pixle problems on lcd?
your digits are they faded?

Rickleger
11-09-2014, 02:33 AM
do you have pixle problems on lcd?
your digits are they faded?

It is an LED so it is just pieces parts of numbers

Thanks

kowalski
11-09-2014, 06:32 AM
contact strip inside cluster gone bad not giving proper connection.
do you have digital climate head unit, lcd will also fail.
it's a flaw from factory

Rickleger
11-11-2014, 03:21 AM
contact strip inside cluster gone bad not giving proper connection.
do you have digital climate head unit, lcd will also fail.
it's a flaw from factory
Any ideas on how I can repair this.. If I change clusters can that be done with out the dealer..

timmyj51
11-12-2014, 10:31 AM
Are you saying those particular dash lights are out? Just replace the bulbs. Just because they're not illuminated doesn't mean
they're not working--shine a flashlight on them and see if they still give readings. If it's a connector problem all the other dash functions--speedometer,
waning lights, etc.--wouldn't work.

Rickleger
11-13-2014, 11:17 AM
Are you saying those particular dash lights are out? Just replace the bulbs. Just because they're not illuminated doesn't mean
they're not working--shine a flashlight on them and see if they still give readings. If it's a connector problem all the other dash functions--speedometer,
waning lights, etc.--wouldn't work.

The bulbs are ok The odometer, outside temp and time are actually Liquid Crystal Displays that use a series of dashes to form a number. Only parts of those dashes are illuminated so you have to guess at the numbers