PDA

View Full Version : C36-Suspension- Cut Springs/New Springs/Coilovers?

cthirtysizzle
11-09-2003, 10:57 PM
Hey what's up everyone, thought I'd move this conversation into the suspension forum. Anyways, I'm days away from buying a stock Silver C36 and wanted to lower it about 1-1.4 inches. A friend of mine has a Silver C36 with H&R's, but I don't want to ride as low as he does, but here are my options, any input is appreciated;

1. Cut stock springs - I'm a little worried about this option because if I take it to a place that screws up I won't be happy.

2. H&R/Tein/Eibach ProKit springs (I would prob. go w/ Eibachs) - If I did this should I get some shocks? Bilsteins vs Konis?

3. Coilovers - How much, what kind, I don't know much about coilovers, but I've heard great things about them.

VaC280
11-10-2003, 07:46 AM
Hey cthirtysizzle,

I have the European version of the AMG springs on my 99 C43. The car dropped about 1 inch. Not too far that it needs camber adjustment though. When I compared the stock springs to the Euro springs the only difference was about 2/3rds of a coil. Because the springs in the Benz are linear instead of progressive, you can have them cut and it will not make the ride bouncy and bottom out like it will in most other cars.

So my suggestion for that amount of drop would be to either cut the ones you have, or buy the Euro AMG springs. I have the guys email somewhere but I will have to find it. Let me know if you are interested.

edub
11-10-2003, 08:32 AM
Don't know if C36 or C-280 sport have the same spring..
this one cut the stock spring..
look like this...

click here (http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1645)

Denlasoul
11-10-2003, 08:51 AM
Here's my 43 on H&R's with stock shocks. I have Koni's no pics with them installed.
Click me (http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=931)

DougandhisC280
11-10-2003, 09:26 AM
I'm not accusing or anything but the picture by edub looks photoshopped, especially in the front.

I wouldn't cut the springs if I were you. I'd go with option 2: A good set of sport springs and konis or bilsteins.

If you cut your springs you suffer the embarrasement of me with my C280 being able to out handle your AMG.:confused:

VaC280
11-10-2003, 09:42 AM
cthirtysizzle,
If you end up going with the H&R's I have a set that was used for 7 months on my '97 C280 before I got the C43. The believe the springs are the same for that and the C36 that you'll be getting. Send me and email if your interested (cwkolster@hotmail.com). I will sell for $175, and I'll ship to you in the original box :D

CKlasse
11-10-2003, 10:16 AM
Nothing wrong with cutting springs as long as its not progressive springs. I locked the mid two coils on fronts, and put rubber spring pads in the between of two coils in the back to gain progressive feeling of the spring.

http://members.aol.com/kennetong/cklasse2.jpg

Edub,
Nice brabus monos!

edub
11-10-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by DougandhisC280
I'm not accusing or anything but the picture by edub looks photoshopped, especially in the front.

I wouldn't cut the springs if I were you. I'd go with option 2: A good set of sport springs and konis or bilsteins.

If you cut your springs you suffer the embarrasement of me with my C280 being able to out handle your AMG.:confused:
DougandhisC280,
I NEVER photoshopped my car to make it lowered !!!.... Sorry... !!!
What you see there it's not photoshopped... :P
except I cover my License plate......
:)

714guy
11-10-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by CKlasse
Nothing wrong with cutting springs as long as its not progressive springs. I locked the mid two coils on fronts, and put rubber spring pads in the between of two coils in the back to gain progressive feeling of the spring.

http://members.aol.com/kennetong/cklasse2.jpg

Edub,
Nice brabus monos!

Cklasse What does the rubber pads do?? do they increace the spring rate or somthing??

Also when are coming to LA?? next week or this week??

Thanks

jason

edub
11-10-2003, 10:59 AM
CKLASSE..
Nice drop.. I like your body kit too..:D

cthirtysizzle
11-10-2003, 11:05 AM
- VaC280 - I'm interested to see a pic if you have one. Euro AMG springs huh, that sounds interesting if you run across that guys email definitely let me know and I'll think about your offer for the H&R's and get back to you soon.

- edub - Very nice pics, how much did you cut off your stock springs, how much did it cost, and did you get new shocks?

- Denlasoul - That looks like a nice drop, so can you tell the difference between your stock shocks and the konis?

cthirtysizzle
11-10-2003, 11:20 AM
Has anyone tried the H&R coilovers for their 202?

Denlasoul
11-10-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by cthirtysizzle
- Denlasoul - That looks like a nice drop, so can you tell the difference between your stock shocks and the konis?

Um, er... I forgot to mention the reason why there are no picks with the Koni's is b/c I have yet to install them. LOL :)

Yes, I am a lazy ass. I dont drive my car much, so not a top priority. Besides, I want to install them myself...not too sure now b/c of the weather.

One benefit to the Koni's are that they are adjustable in stiffness settings. Nothing to elaborate, but probaably enough for my likings.

DougandhisC280
11-10-2003, 11:39 AM
Edub: Nice Car!!! I'm glad to hear it's not photoshopped.

Springs are not that expensive and can often be found on Ebay for around 50 dollars. I would just go the safe route and change them out.

CKlasse
11-11-2003, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by 714guy
Cklasse What does the rubber pads do?? do they increace the spring rate or somthing??

Also when are coming to LA?? next week or this week??

Thanks

jason

The pads are just a trimmed out OEM pads that I put between the coils to raise the car. It actually stiffened up the suspension. I ll be in LA area this Thursday til Monday.

Ken

jnolte
11-11-2003, 09:25 PM
Edubbs car is not photoshopped. I have seen it before when i was driving past him on Coal Creek Road.

My C36 also had cut springs, but they were H&R springs then cut. My car was very low. There was no gap on all wheels you couldent even stick a pinky finger in there. I payed 140 for installation of springs and a extra 40 for the cut. The ride was not compromised at all and on my next car i think i may get them cut again.

austin
11-18-2003, 02:21 AM
do you guys have a problem with uneven tire wear after lowering your cars?

my c36 is dropped on h&r springs and the tires are crazy worn on certain areas on the tire, but most of the rest of the tire has almost full tread. the outer edge of the tire is worn bald on my fronts and the inner edge is worn in the rear. the tires have less than 10k miles on them. are you guys having this problem too?

is this something a simple alignment job can fix?

austin
11-18-2003, 02:25 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33582&item=2442558988

how come the springs in this auction look progressive if the 202 springs are linear?

also the seller says it fits both 6 cyl. and 8 cyl. models, but i thought they had different spring rates due to the different weighted engines.

does he not know what hes talking about?

DougandhisC280
11-18-2003, 06:55 AM
do you guys have a problem with uneven tire wear after lowering your cars?

my c36 is dropped on h&r springs and the tires are crazy worn on certain areas on the tire, but most of the rest of the tire has almost full tread. the outer edge of the tire is worn bald on my fronts and the inner edge is worn in the rear. the tires have less than 10k miles on them. are you guys having this problem too?

is this something a simple alignment job can fix?

Please don't tell me you changed out your springs and didn't get an allignment afterword. That's the first thing you should do after lowering your car. You're probably dealing with outer toe wear on the front and inner camber wear on the rear. Even after you get the allignment done the camber will still be a litte off but this is normal and causes nearly unmeasurable amount of tire wear.

I have -1.9 degrees of camber and my tires were all exactly 2/32 of an inch from anywhere you measured them on the tire. My new set of tires are wearing just as even and are Z rated so any type of wear would be exagerated.

DougandhisC280
11-18-2003, 07:05 AM
Performance springs are progressive. If they were linear the ride would be extremely rough because the spring rate would be so stiff that you would feal every bump.

Here's how it all works: Linear springs give the same amount of pressure while pushing down. So if this spring is 2 feet tall, the pressure would be the same if you were to compress the spring 2 inches or 5 inches.

Progressive springs have different pressure points. Example: If you were to try to compress the spring 2 inches you could use about 120 lbs of pressure. If you wanted to try to compress it any more you have to use more pressure because the spring rate is higher.

Moral of the story: If you hit a bump with progressive springs that is 2 inches tall it will feel the same as the stock springs; smooth. If you hit a bigger bump the spring will compress to that higher rate and not give in to the bump and it will be rougher. This higher spring rate is what allows the car to go around corners and not let the car lean.

austin
11-18-2003, 03:45 PM
thanks doug. actually, the previous owner of my car installed the springs, and since the tires (s02's) were practically brand new and had great tread all over, i just assumed that he had it aligned and there were no camber or toe in problems. so, i guess it is possible to get an alignment done without aftermarket control arms and still get decently even tire wear.

and about the auction... am i correct in assuming 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder 202's use springs with different spring rates? the seller of the springs in the auction says that his springs could be used for "c280 or c43."

DougandhisC280
11-18-2003, 06:01 PM
I think the springs would fit both cars, I'm just not sure if the spring rates are the same. One way to find out is to call tirerack and ask if the springs are the same. (assuming you'd act like you are buying from them.) An allignment would greatly help your tire wear and overall drivability of the car.

speedybenz
11-19-2003, 10:29 PM
Austin,

From what I hear from those who have lowered there W202's pretty close to the ground is that the rear tires will not last long at all. Similar to problems you are having. The stock camber arms on the Mercedes are not adjustable so you are stuck with the extreme levels of negative camber in the rear.

It was due to the non-adjustable stock camber arms that I started to make a few sets of Custom Camber Arms that will allow you to set the camber back to stock. So instead of a -2.5 degrees of camber in the rear you can set it to -0.5-0.0 degrees for much increased tire wear and a reduction in tire noise. The Custom Arms will most likely increase your tire life up to 20,000 miles per set in the rear, instead of 10,000 miles.

Jeff