PDA

View Full Version : IS 250 a good deal for ebaich springs and blisten struts

adge_dre
01-05-2015, 06:55 PM
he claims it has 3000 miles on them. he originally wanted 400 and i talked him down to 250. good or no?

Vetruck
01-05-2015, 10:23 PM
If shocks are older then you will see pits all over them from rock hits, etc. Just like a windshield will get pitted after years of age.

My Koni's have about 4000-5000 mikes on them (fairly new) and have probably about 3 or 4 small chips in the paint an average each shock. Paint still looks very new.

adge_dre
01-05-2015, 10:30 PM
If shocks are older then you will see pits all over them from rock hits, etc. Just like a windshield will get pitted after years of age.

My Koni's have about 4000-5000 mikes on them (fairly new) and have probably about 3 or 4 small chips in the paint an average each shock. Paint still looks very new.

I'm completely new to lowering my car. What would I need to look out for when I go to pick up these used shocks, and springs?

Vetruck
01-05-2015, 10:40 PM
I'm completely new to lowering my car. What would I need to look out for when I go to pick up these used shocks, and springs?

Springs need to fit the year car you have. Early years of the w202 took a slightly different spring type then the later years. You will need to reference a website that sells Eibach Springs for your car and make sure the part numbers match what you need.

As for shocks, same thing. BUt also with shocks you need to hold them with the body side of the shock pointing down to the ground and make sure the oil inside the shock has had a little time to settle(about a minute should do sitting upright in proper position. Then simply try and push the top rod down into the shock body and let it release. See if all 4 are about equal in resistence. if not then one or more is showing wear.

Lowering a car properly takes a lot more then just shocks and springs. Your suspension geometry will change so you will have to buy other parts like eccentric front control arm bushing to make the car track straight and not dart side to side on the freeway grooves etc. Most of these parts plus alignment to do things right will cost you at about a minumum of $1500. Best to save before installing just these parts and suffering from poor driving issues.

PS- I manage a local NASCAR truck team and am a suspension dynamics guru- Thus I will always suggest doing things correctly- all the while knowing most people do not heed my advice and just do it for looks while harming ride quality.

Im the tall guy on the right ;)

adge_dre
01-06-2015, 03:11 AM
Springs need to fit the year car you have. Early years of the w202 took a slightly different spring type then the later years. You will need to reference a website that sells Eibach Springs for your car and make sure the part numbers match what you need.

As for shocks, same thing. BUt also with shocks you need to hold them with the body side of the shock pointing down to the ground and make sure the oil inside the shock has had a little time to settle(about a minute should do sitting upright in proper position. Then simply try and push the top rod down into the shock body and let it release. See if all 4 are about equal in resistence. if not then one or more is showing wear.

Lowering a car properly takes a lot more then just shocks and springs. Your suspension geometry will change so you will have to buy other parts like eccentric front control arm bushing to make the car track straight and not dart side to side on the freeway grooves etc. Most of these parts plus alignment to do things right will cost you at about a minumum of $1500. Best to save before installing just these parts and suffering from poor driving issues.

PS- I manage a local NASCAR truck team and am a suspension dynamics guru- Thus I will always suggest doing things correctly- all the while knowing most people do not heed my advice and just do it for looks while harming ride quality.

Im the tall guy on the right ;)

Oh wow this really helped alot. 1500 not including the price of the spring and struts? That's a little rediculous. Now you have me reconsidering lol. How much is the price of each thing do you know? So I can get a better understanding what I might be getting into

Vetruck
01-06-2015, 06:36 AM
Oh wow this really helped alot. 1500 not including the price of the spring and struts? That's a little rediculous. Now you have me reconsidering lol. How much is the price of each thing do you know? So I can get a better understanding what I might be getting into

I never said it didn't included the cost of springs and shocks.

Springs aporx $250
Shocks aprox 400
Kmac front bushings aprox 400.
Rear custon camber arms aprox 200
Install those parts? If you do not know how then you'll need to pay someone- Could be $500
Alignment $100

That is pretty much a basic decent lowering job.
From there you need to consider the addition of spring pad changes to fine tune the ride heights if you do not like exactly how the car sits from just the lowering springs. They are aprox $80 a pair for two fronts or two rears, plus install cost is extra if you do not do it yourself.

Denlasoul
01-07-2015, 09:19 AM
Can you explain what the KMAC kit will replace? I saw the kit online and it looks like 2 bushings/side. Is it the LCAs? I ask because I have a set of poly LCAs (that replaces the solid stock one), and the other bushings are a two piece set. I am thinking the KMAC will replace all those stock (3) bushings with 2 KMAC solid bushings.

Hope that is kind of clear.

Vetruck
01-07-2015, 08:42 PM
Can you explain what the KMAC kit will replace? I saw the kit online and it looks like 2 bushings/side. Is it the LCAs? I ask because I have a set of poly LCAs (that replaces the solid stock one), and the other bushings are a two piece set. I am thinking the KMAC will replace all those stock (3) bushings with 2 KMAC solid bushings.

Hope that is kind of clear.

They are best used in the front control arm bushing. 4 of them total, 2 on each side. KMAC offer rear ones also but are really better done via aftermarket camber arms.
Here's a pic of when I was pressing mine into place. Shows one OEM and one offset KMAC bushing side by side.

Denlasoul
01-07-2015, 08:57 PM
They are best used in the front control arm bushing. 4 of them total, 2 on each side. KMAC offer rear ones also but are really better done via aftermarket camber arms.
Here's a pic of when I was pressing mine into place. Shows one OEM and one offset KMAC bushing side by side.

Gotcha. My polyurethane LCA bushings would replace the front one as well,but looks like I will not be using them. For the other KMAC bushing, does it replace the OEM rear two-piece (the bottom half bushings in your picture)?

Vetruck
01-07-2015, 09:12 PM
Front A-arms have two bushings each side. The KMAC front A-arm kit supplies all 4 front bushings. The KMAC rear kit is separate and supplies the two rear bushing (one on each side only in the rear)

Denlasoul
01-07-2015, 09:20 PM
Im following you, but isnt the OEM bushings for one side consists of 3 bushings? I say that bc I had bought an OEM kit and there were 3 bushings. In your picture, the first (top of picture bushing) is rubber with rubber bridges inside a sleeve, and you replaced it with the KMAC bushing. The bottom is comprised of two bushings. So, for the KMAC kit, the 3 OEM bushings are replaced with 2. Correct?

I might have to call you. LOL

The picture attached is the OEM bushings from a front LCA kit. It is 3 bushings. With the KMAC, I am under the impression that the two-piece is changed to a solid one-piece, and like you said, becomes two bushings total per side.

Vetruck
01-08-2015, 12:10 AM
You posted "one" bushing. It may be 3 pieces, but it is one bushing. THe front A-arm's takes 4 bushings. I don't know how else to tell you without repeating myself.

Denlasoul
01-08-2015, 04:42 AM
You posted "one" bushing. It may be 3 pieces, but it is one bushing. THe front A-arm's takes 4 bushings. I don't know how else to tell you without repeating myself.

LOL. I get it now. The whole thing is considered one bushing regardless of how many pieces it comprises. That part I didnt know, thought each piece was a bushing.

Now everything makes sense.

adge_dre
01-08-2015, 05:13 AM
LOL. I get it now. The whole thing is considered one bushing regardless of how many pieces it comprises. That part I didnt know, thought each piece was a bushing.

Now everything makes sense.

Where can I buy the bushings I need to lower my car

Denlasoul
01-08-2015, 07:27 AM
Where can I buy the bushings I need to lower my car
KMAC? You can go direct to their site. I think there are a few US distributors as well. Cost is about $450ish.

adge_dre
01-08-2015, 07:40 AM
i went on their website, its says camber and adjjustment kit.. is that needed?

Vetruck
01-08-2015, 07:52 AM
i went on their website, its says camber and adjjustment kit.. is that needed?

If you are lowering the car more then about 1" then yes it is definitely needed. The front tires will stat to camber out ith extreme negative camber. The car will become "darty" and catch every groove in the road because the inside tire edge will be more pointy in contact with the ground the lower the car goes. This kit helps correct that and brings the tires back to flat contact with the ground for control and even wear.

Lowering a car takes the engineered suspension lengths out of spec in relation to the upper and lower arm links. This kit brings the lower arm pivot point inward so the arms line up properly when they become more parallel to the ground.