PDA

View Full Version : How similar are the R170 and W202 platforms?

Denlasoul
01-21-2015, 09:08 AM
I know that they are based on the same platform, but what does that really mean?

Are the suspension components the same? I am interested in a rear sway bar, H&R actually. I noticed that for the C43 they have an 18mm bar and for the SLK they have a 20mm bar. Are they the same fit or are there enough subtle differences to make an install not straightforward?

edit: on another note, if they are the same I could save a few $$ by buying the Chrysler Crossfire sway bar.....

Dearlove
01-21-2015, 07:54 PM
Ive never thought about the cross fire sway bar as an option... good idea

RemoLexi
01-22-2015, 05:59 AM
It should work. I've heard the rear axles on the crossfire are stronger/bigger. But then again I never hear anyone having trouble with what Mercedes put in there

Vetruck
01-22-2015, 06:49 AM
I researched this after reading it last night.

It appears that yes everything is compatible, problem is that after reading the forums it appears they are using our stuff, not the other way around. The options on Crossfire swaybars are limited and they use out H &R kit for the fronts, and A Dodge Neon 03-05 rear performance swaybar which is 24mm (Our H&R unit is 19mm) My opinion it is way too large for our cars and would create big problems in ride quality and handling. Why? I have a lighter weight engine car then most of you (being the M111 4cylinder early year C220- I've read its curb weight is 200 lbs lighter then the C280s and even lighter then the later Komp230s also) With that said, the heavier the front engine the car has the less a rear swaybar size can be used. I am running the H&R 19 rear, yet am only using the smaller H&r 28 up front instead of the H&R 30. If I threw a 30-24 combo on instead of a 28-19 it would lock up my suspension so badly the ride quality would be terrible...AND the rear would be loose in corners (lots of oversteer)

Denlasoul
01-22-2015, 07:40 AM
I researched this after reading it last night.

It appears that yes everything is compatible, problem is that after reading the forums it appears they are using our stuff, not the other way around. The options on Crossfire swaybars are limited and they use out H &R kit for the fronts, and A Dodge Neon 03-05 rear performance swaybar which is 24mm (Our H&R unit is 19mm) My opinion it is way too large for our cars and would create big problems in ride quality and handling. Why? I have a lighter weight engine car then most of you (being the M111 4cylinder early year C220- I've read its curb weight is 200 lbs lighter then the C280s and even lighter then the later Komp230s also) With that said, the heavier the front engine the car has the less a rear swaybar size can be used. I am running the H&R 19 rear, yet am only using the smaller H&r 28 up front instead of the H&R 30. If I threw a 30-24 combo on instead of a 28-19 it would lock up my suspension so badly the ride quality would be terrible...AND the rear would be loose in corners (lots of oversteer)

Thanks Dean. I was wondering why the stock bar was only at 16mm. H&R only goes up to 18mm, and from what I understand anything much bigger than the 16mm stock will actually worsen the ride. With that, do you think that the 18mm H&R would have the same affect? I researched and saw that the 2mm increase would increase torsional rigidity by 16%, so it will stiffen a bit. Am I correct that using a LSD (which I am about to have installed) will aid in keeping things planted while increasing that stiffness? Also, in regards to the front, what are good options?

Basically, am I a fool for just throwing things into my car? In your opinion, with my front heavy C43, what kind of increases can I do while keeping the quality? I k now this question may be hard to answer, but having your insight will allow me to make more sound choices instead of just experimenting and wondering what went wrong.

Dearlove
01-22-2015, 07:52 AM
just for reference, I've used stiffer spring rates and now have very little roll still using stock sway bars, even on the track

RemoLexi
01-22-2015, 07:58 AM
Limited slip differentials to my research are very different in what you buy clutch type vs. mechanical lock up. That's a whole new subject that one should look into and maybe start that on a seperate thread.

Denlasoul
01-22-2015, 08:15 AM
Limited slip differentials to my research are very different in what you buy clutch type vs. mechanical lock up. That's a whole new subject that one should look into and maybe start that on a seperate thread.
Oh totally Remo. That stuff is confusing as hell.

My point in bringing it up was to factor in quality with increased stiffness. For example: if I increase the stiffness of the rear sway and take a hard turn, the LSD it will compensate the off power wheel. I wonder if that aspect will have a factor to play in the quality of ride.

Vetruck
01-22-2015, 10:39 AM
The most important thing to understand and always remember in the future is.....sway bars ate a simple fine tuning tool that should be considered useful in size ONLY AFTER you've done other changes.

A factor like a diff change is 100% effect influenced by the driver's habits in how the car responds. Do any needed bar change last after you test the car with other changes first.

Denlasoul
01-22-2015, 11:04 AM
The most important thing to understand and always remember in the future is.....sway bars ate a simple fine tuning tool that should be considered useful in size ONLY AFTER you've done other changes.

A factor like a diff change is 100% effect influenced by the driver's habits in how the car responds. Do any needed bar change last after you test the car with other changes first.
Roger that. I plan on making some changes to my current set up, but of course cannot figure out things until the diff is in place and corrections to my alignment are done.

Im sure I will be asking you questions soon.