PDA

View Full Version : Weird speedo cluster problem

Vetruck
01-26-2015, 11:29 PM
Wife came home tonight after her typical aprox 20 min commute and turned the key off, headlights off- and a few of the dash lights in the cluster stayed on. I was out so she called me, I told her leave it be of course and Ill be there in about 30mins. She went in and left the car as is.

I get home and take a look and the Low fuel, Bright lights, low Oil and one on the right (I think it was the SRS, but can;t remember for sure) were on and I could hear a faint buzzing (just a very faint probably more of a hum about as loud as if your ear were to a wrist watch listening for the ticking noise,

I turned the headlights on, off, on, off. Nothing, Shoved the gear selecter forward to see if anything, nothing, Fiddled with the overhead courtesy light switches, nothing.

I then pull the cluster out and unhook it (humming noise a little more loud now that back of cluster is exposed) I first pull the right side connector (the larger one), nothing... then reach back into there and pull the other on the left side (the smaller one) and everything of course then goes out. Plug the larger one back in- nothing (everything still out)

So it was the harness connector going into the back left of the cluster. I get my other speedo (don't ask ;) ) and plug it in and everything is working fine.

Anyone ever have this problem? That speedo has been in there for a year. obviously something shorted inside it but how?

RemoLexi
01-27-2015, 12:34 PM
There was a tsb I remember reading a while back, I have to find it to be sure but the early cars cannot to jump started with cables or even a jump box (I think?) because it fries the cluster. Had it happen on an early R129 500SL

Vetruck
01-27-2015, 02:02 PM
Thank you. If you recall, the car sat for 3 months from an accident and was jump started several times until finding the battery went bad. I put a new battery into it a few weeks ago.

I'll make sure in the future to charge the battery outside the car hookups next time before reconnecting and starting. Glad I had another cluster.

RemoLexi
01-28-2015, 11:21 AM
Yup, that's what popped into mind. I figure you or the body shop may have used cables to start it. Not to say clusters don't go bad for other reasons. There is a company that remanufactures them, but pricey.