PDA

View Full Version : Driver's door key cylinder problems

js81
02-09-2015, 07:08 AM
My car is a 96 C220 w/152k. I bought it with 130k a year and half ago; has ran fine once I straightened out some of the idiocy of the previous owner. That said, when I got it only one keyless fob worked, but its switchblade key was floppy - I frankensteined it and the other keyless and made one good, completely working fob and one practically useless except as a spare key. Shortly there after, the good working on disintegrated (for lack of a better word); I have all the parts, though. Since that point, I've simply been using the "regular" key that came with my car (valet key, maybe?), as the keyless IR system was basically useless - I could get in faster with the key in the door than with the keyless system.

Now I've ran into a problem. The key cylinder in my driver's door has all but stopped working. It turns both directions, but its like the car doesn't "sense" that its turning. Instead of all the doors unlocking, only the driver's door unlocks. I can't get anything to lock at all. When it does this (currently about a 50/50 shot), the car won't start. I assume it is due to the engine immobilizer not recognizing that the car has been unlocked. I can put the key in the trunk and unlock it that way and it'll start right up.

What I would like to do is replace the factory IR keyless system with a modern RF system. A cheapo system is fine, as I don't mind to continue using the "regular" key and let's face it, the car is 19 years old, so I don't care that it won't look "stock" (mine is just a daily driver; hoping it lives long enough until I can get a new car and then maybe I can fix it up). I read somewhere (her or another MB forum) that the cheap audiovox systems will work with the w202. I can get one on eBay for $30 shipped.

Here's my question - if I rig up the audiovox system in basically the same place as the factory IR system (to trigger the door pumps), will I be able to start the car? Or do I need to get a new factory IR remote? If I'm going to put money in it, I'd just assume get my keyless back rather than just fix the door key cylinder for a regular key.

Thanks!