PDA

View Full Version : Polyurethane LCA bushings Installation - mods required

andy_1100
03-16-2015, 12:59 PM
I'm in a process of replacing LCA bushings on my 1995 c280 with 138k km. LHS & RHS rear LCA bushings are bad.

Just want to bring up an issue that I came across as i got to the part where I'm supposed to bolt the LCA back to the chassis. Original LCA mounting bolts don't fit, there's a shoulder on the bolt and it's caching on the new bushings inner metal sleeve.
You can see that the inner sleeve in original MB bushing has a bigger ID at both ends.

Please note that the statement below is incorrect, looks like i need a special kit as per RemoLexi above.
So be aware, you will need one of the following:
1. 4 new bolts - M14 X120 Class10.9 Yellow Zink plated
2. Machine existing bolts to remove the shoulder, just make sure you put a 1/8" fillet in the corner.

RemoLexi
03-16-2015, 01:22 PM
Typically I replace the factory bolts with factory camber/castor correct bolt kits. They don't have that oval shape at the head where it gets in the way as you mention.

andy_1100
03-16-2015, 01:53 PM
I had original bolts machined - removed the shoulder, now that i think about it - that was a bad decision. This shoulder located the bolt in the slot, now that it's not there the bolt is free to move.

Looks like i need that 4 x camber/castor correction bolt kits in order to be able to get wheels alighned?

PN 202 330 0118

RemoLexi
03-16-2015, 06:48 PM
The correction bolts are to be installed where needed during the alignment. I don't think the bolt you machined will move if tightened well.

Vetruck
03-16-2015, 10:23 PM
The correction bolts are to be installed where needed during the alignment. I don't think the bolt you machined will move if tightened well.

I will confirm this statement and agree they will not move.

andy_1100
03-17-2015, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the info guys, should have done more research before getting into this project, didn't expect this.

I've orders 4 adjuster bolt kits anyway, to have them in case i'll need them during the alignment.

andy_1100
03-18-2015, 09:10 AM
After 2 days of soul searching I've decided to replace original bolts with camber/castor adjustment bolt kit or as MB calls it Repair Kit PN 202-330-01-18. Got them on order for 11$/ea at Pelican Parts. Should be here today.
Also there's a MB document AR40.20-P-0322-01B describing the replacement.

Now before a go for alignment I'll have to check the rear suspension, see if need to change some bushings as well.

Thanks for the help.

SD202
03-18-2015, 05:00 PM
I have the exact same bushings installed on my LCA's I did not have to modify the bolts. When I put it back together the LCA bolted up just like it did from the factory. the only exception being the bushing is now solid poly and not those floating OEM kind. I couldnt be happier with this upgrade.

andy_1100
03-19-2015, 07:54 AM
I have the exact same bushings installed on my LCA's I did not have to modify the bolts. When I put it back together the LCA bolted up just like it did from the factory. the only exception being the bushing is now solid poly and not those floating OEM kind. I couldnt be happier with this upgrade.

I just want to get to the bottom of this, seems like i'm the only one who's having problems with this simple switch over.... :confused::mad:

Did you have the original bolts on your LCA's, original bolts have a large mashroom head woth torx socket and an oval shaped shoulder under the bolt head, or you had already repair bolt kit installed previously - these would be hex head with a groove thru threaded part and 2 washers, one under bolt head and oneunder the nut?

I just don't see how the orinal bolt would fit into the steel sleeve, unless the sleeve gets expanded over the bolt when you tighten the nut.

SD202
03-20-2015, 08:17 AM
I just want to get to the bottom of this, seems like i'm the only one who's having problems with this simple switch over.... :confused::mad:

Did you have the original bolts on your LCA's, original bolts have a large mashroom head woth torx socket and an oval shaped shoulder under the bolt head, or you had already repair bolt kit installed previously - these would be hex head with a groove thru threaded part and 2 washers, one under bolt head and oneunder the nut?

I just don't see how the orinal bolt would fit into the steel sleeve, unless the sleeve gets expanded over the bolt when you tighten the nut.

LCA's Had factory original hardware. The bolt holds itself in place and I was able to loosen the nut without holding the other side. Swapped out bushings and put it all back together. The bolt fits through the sleeve no problem. Im very puzzled why you are having issues as well, It is possible that the manufacture has sent you the incorrect part, or possibly has pressed the wrong sleeve into the bushings.

andy_1100
03-20-2015, 08:43 AM
Hmm..
It might be the case just with this manufacture, the ones i've got are made by Armstrong Distributors and are called PSB (Problem Solving Bushings). I think they are just a re-sale place, but made somewhere else. Same bushings are sold by FCP. And , like I said, the metal inner sleeve does not match the original bushings.
Well, it doesn't matter now, I just got the 4 bolt kits. Will put everything back tomorrow, check my rear suspension and off to the alignment place.

But I'm still pissed that I had to destroy perfect 4 original bolts, i machined the shoulder, I'll have to go to the wreckers and get them. And had to pay another 45$.
That's like 4 cases of beer, imagine how much work i could have put in to the car with that beer

andy_1100
03-25-2015, 08:18 PM
So I took my car to Mercedes dealership yesterday for alignment. Paid 150 plus tax, not a bad price. Same i was quoted by an indi shop. No problem, the car drives awesome. With new bushings the car feels much better, feels very stable and it's a pleasure to drive over bumps, that i was avoiding before ... mission accomplished...