PDA

View Full Version : brake rotors & pads upgrade on W202

ruffino28
11-10-2003, 07:55 PM
just wondering any suggestion but i dont wanna spend too much coz just got new rims, tires, springs & shocks

J Irwan
11-13-2003, 06:55 PM
Are you looking something fancy such as crossdrilled or slotted rotor..

You can check out these brand

1.KVR Performance
2.Brembo Sport rotor (OE size and available in cross-drilled and sloted. Availability may depend on model)
3.PowerSlot rotor
4.SP Rotor
5.Zimmerman Rotor (OE size crossdrilled and/or slotted).

As far for Brake pad I would think you'd want the dustless pad..

I'd personally go with Mintex... (from the review I been hearing they're great for street since very quite, 90% dustless than stock pad, but also good for occasional auto-X)

Repco aka. PBR also have their
Deluxe series which is dustless but not recommended for track, since they tend to fade in repeated braking.
PBR Metal Master also good for dustless characteristic but also hard on rotor. They also good for occasional track application.

A lot of good brand out there whether you want performance pad or street pad

Ferodo, Pagid, Axxis, ATE, and many more..

Just to help you get some idea what to considered when looking for pad. ;)

Regardz,

ruffino28
11-13-2003, 08:09 PM
Thanks J Irwan

DougandhisC280
11-13-2003, 08:50 PM
I have ATE Power Disc slotted rotors and PBR Deluxe. These pads are extremely dustless and stop better than oem. I haven't used them on the track so I can't say how well they'd do there. I highly recommend these for street use though.

ruffino28
11-13-2003, 08:55 PM
oh just wanna know is that the slotted rotor better than cross drilled coz somebody told me that cross drilled not as good performance as slotted also easy to crack is that right

J Irwan
11-14-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by ruffino28
oh just wanna know is that the slotted rotor better than cross drilled coz somebody told me that cross drilled not as good performance as slotted also easy to crack is that right

Generally speaking, that is true under severe condition

Meaning if you plan to go to track often/regularly then go with slotted.

But for street use cross-drilled is more than adequate.

Regardz,

Denlasoul
11-14-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by J Irwan
Generally speaking, that is true under severe condition

Meaning if you plan to go to track often/regularly then go with slotted.

But for street use cross-drilled is more than adequate.

I agree with you J.

Ruffino: one thing to consider is if the rotor was made with the holes, or were they originally solid rotor and drilled afterwards.

The later would have a bigger chance of being a weak rotor.

jlomon
01-05-2004, 11:58 AM
I'm not sure if you made any brake choices yet, but I'll add my own .02 in to this thread as I've just completed some brake upgrades. I went with the Porterfield Brakes R4S compound pad, along with Brembo cross-drilled rotors and Goodridge stainless steel lines. I've been very happy with the results. I've seen a few different opinions on the Porterfields on this site, but I find that there is a much better initial bite, better modulation, and shortened stopping distances. The fact that there is a very negligible amount of dust is just an added bonus. I ordered the lines and pads through Jerry at mymercedes.net One thing to be aware of is that Mercedes changed the length of the front brake lines for the vehicles built prior to 12/95, so make sure you double check with him that you have the right year, or you'll get lines that are the wrong length.

Jonathan

C280 JR
01-05-2004, 12:32 PM
i got ate rottors for my car for 135 shipped a set..they are cross drilled and sloted

Elvir

ruffino28
01-05-2004, 03:32 PM
thanks guys i m still looking to see which rotor i should get. for the brake pad i ordered Porterfield R4S but havent received yet coz back order
where u guys get those rotor like Brembo cross-drilled and ate

jlomon
01-05-2004, 04:04 PM
I found my Brembo rotors on Ebay. Go to ebaymotors.com and then just do a search for brembo mercedes. You'll get hits for all the people advertising brembo rotors for Mercedes. Then you can email them with your specific model information. If they aren't advertising the right rotors for your car now, they can probably get them. I'd recommend the cross drilled over slotted, only because the slotted tend to wear the pads out a bit faster. One thing to keep in mind is that if you see Brembos advertised as crossed drilled AND slotted, don't buy from that guy. Brembo does one or the other. If it has both, then the guy bought slotted rotors and then drilled them himself. You don't want that, as has been pointed out by others here.

Jonathan

MRP Motorsports
01-05-2004, 06:55 PM
I would upgrade the pads and stainless brake lines first. A brake system flush and use some high temp performance fluid. The monwy you save on buying rotors you can upgrade the weaker parts of the braking system, old brake fluid and the rubber lines at the calipers.

A look at rotors:

Slotted rotors with chamfered slots would be the most reliable upgraded rotor. The gas slots release gas pressure that can conttribute to fade, although fade is due mostly brake fluid and friction compound. The slots also help the pads wear evenly. This is the configuration that is most often used in race cars, aside from solid disks, although those disks are sometimes composite or ceramic.

Slotted rotor look nice. They experience severe thermal loading because of teh holes on the friction surface. Usually the least friction area for given surface area. Chamfering helps but reduces the friction area. Effective braking is accomplised by maximizing the contact area of the two friction surfaces and the hydralic pressure acting on that surface, hence stainless brake lines and quality high temp fluid.

Post process heat treating, black nitride, or cryo-treated for added durability is a plus.

ae102gts
01-08-2004, 06:14 PM
hey guys, wanted to find out if it was necessary to replace the sensors on the brakes each time you change. And also is the brake change difficult? I've done it on my Toyotas before but never on the benz. Was thinking to go w/ slotted discs all around w/ portfieds, wanted to ask where I can get the discs for $135 a pair and also where to get portfieds for cheap. Appreicate anyones help

jlomon
01-08-2004, 06:35 PM
For the Porterfields, the only place I know you can get them is at the manufacturer. There was a user on mercedesshop.com last month who was trying to organize a group buy for a 10% discount. You could have a look there. Rotors you can usually find on Ebay.

Jonathan

jnolte
01-08-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by jlomon
For the Porterfields, the only place I know you can get them is at the manufacturer. There was a user on mercedesshop.com last month who was trying to organize a group buy for a 10% discount. You could have a look there. Rotors you can usually find on Ebay.

Jonathan

i think it was OmegaBenz?

omegabenz
01-22-2004, 08:27 PM
I was organizing the group buy. I am kinda trying to wrap up two other group buys/start school on a good foot this semester. It looks good so far.

If you want to get crazy and put some time into it, I have some 996/911 turbo 2002 front brake calipers, rotors, pads, and brake lines, with 8k miles on them. The rotors are perfect and the pads are near new. Id take $850 with shipping if you lived in the USA.

Upgrading to ATE BLUE OR ATE 200 fluid was a huge help I noticed. Stainless steel lines are good, but you really notice them on a car without ABS. But you have ABS. They will help, but brake lines naturally fatigue, so replacing them would be a good idea just for preventitive maintenence.

A good set of pads like R4-S would really help with fade resistance. Drilled rotors crack, and perforated (casted holes) are better.

Porterfield claims the gas isnt really the problem between the pad and the rotor on their pads.

I think that mostly they look cool. I have them on my cars...(zimmermann perforated rotors).

Brembo rotors OEM are a great idea they are made well. Those drilled ones are kind of stupid because they will crack.

Having them cryo treated will really help if you do track events where you cycle the brakes really hot.

Cadmium plating keeps the non contact surfaces looking good with no rust.

But do cadmium, then cryo.

Good luck,

omegabenz

jlomon
01-23-2004, 03:37 AM
I feel it necessary to point out that, while cross drilled rotors have been known to crack under the extreme conditions of repeated track use, quality cross drilled rotors, such as Brembo, aren't prone to that kind of failure from normal street use. When saying things like "cross drilled rotors crack", I think it is very important to add that qualification. I've been running the Brembos on my C280 as well as the wife's Civic Si, and they've been great. Neither car sees the track, though.

Jonathan

cian36n
01-23-2004, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by jlomon
I feel it necessary to point out that, while cross drilled rotors have been known to crack under the extreme conditions of repeated track use, quality cross drilled rotors, such as Brembo, aren't prone to that kind of failure from normal street use. When saying things like "cross drilled rotors crack", I think it is very important to add that qualification. I've been running the Brembos on my C280 as well as the wife's Civic Si, and they've been great. Neither car sees the track, though.

Jonathan

That is what I meant, sorry for the confusion. If you cryo treat the rotors, they would probably never crack on the street.