PDA

View Full Version : A few speaker questions

sorbo
11-10-2003, 08:24 PM
get ready for a few(lots) radom speaker Q's

I have the Bose system (94), but when i look at the speakers in the rear deak their is 4 holes and only 3 speakers, one of which does not have the bose sticker on it (a stock one). So if you look at it from the inside of the trunk it is like this {Driverside[0 Ø X 0]passenger} 0 = bose speaker Ø = non-bose X = void, no speaker. the empty spot has a foam insert. The car was purchased used, and the dealer said that it had a system in it, so did i get screwed out of a speaker? or is it built like that from the factory? And if I wanted to add a speaker could I?

Now part two, I want to add a new headunit, most likely an alpine to match the changer I have (alpine chm-630). I would also like(need) an AUX input for my iPOD, i hate FM modulaters. But wanting an AUX input my possiblities are limited. any ideas around 250$ and it has to work with the changer, an adapter would be fine.

now for power, with the bose system, I have door speakers (front/back), the front deak, and the back deck. that is 8-10 speakers (if i replace that misfit speaker above and the void with a set). so could a headunit that is whatever watts x 4ch work or is an amp needed?

What speakers would you recommend to replace the Bose? As of now i like the infinity Kappa, any thoughts? I am up for about 135$ + or -. I just want good sounding mids and highs, am trying to avoid a sub. A friend of mine has a 300E with 2-12's and a good amount of power, 2 amps that total 1000+ watts, not all for the subs. but he was saying that you need alot for a benz to sound good, his install is kind of ghetto so is he full of shit or not?

last thing i swear, is it worth waiting till after X-mas for sales, how much is the mark down?

I know it is alot at once sorry and thanks! i am beginner at this car audio stuff.

Faheem Daddy
11-10-2003, 08:45 PM
In my 94 C220, there's also only 3 speakers for 4 holes, so I think its just supposed to be that way. I don't think there would be a problem if you wanted to add another speaker there; I'm probably going to replace those holes with 6x9s. I'm personally going to wait til around Xmas time to buy a lot of stuff for my car, there's no use in buying them now because they'll have ridiculous sales pretty soon. Good luck..

pnsji
11-11-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by sorbo
I have the Bose system (94), but when i look at the speakers in the rear deak their is 4 holes and only 3 speakers, one of which does not have the bose sticker on it (a stock one). So if you look at it from the inside of the trunk it is like this {Driverside[0 Ø X 0]passenger} 0 = bose speaker Ø = non-bose X = void, no speaker. the empty spot has a foam insert. The car was purchased used, and the dealer said that it had a system in it, so did i get screwed out of a speaker? or is it built like that from the factory? And if I wanted to add a speaker could I?
It is built like that from the factory. on the rear deck, you have 2 mid-bass drivers and 1 subwoofer (only on left side).

Now part two, I want to add a new headunit, most likely an alpine to match the changer I have (alpine chm-630). I would also like(need) an AUX input for my iPOD, i hate FM modulaters. But wanting an AUX input my possiblities are limited. any ideas around 250$ and it has to work with the changer, an adapter would be fine.

Why don't you get a head unit with AUX input directly? There are many head units with AUX input that is around $250.

now for power, with the bose system, I have door speakers (front/back), the front deak, and the back deck. that is 8-10 speakers (if i replace that misfit speaker above and the void with a set). so could a headunit that is whatever watts x 4ch work or is an amp needed?
Currently, you have a bose amplifier to drive all the 9 speakers. The amplifier is located in the left side of your trunk:
http://gilbreth.ecn.purdue.edu/~nkumala/pnsji/misc/left%20cavity.jpg
This means, the wattage in the head unit does not really matter since the speakers are powered by the amp in the above picture.

What speakers would you recommend to replace the Bose? As of now i like the infinity Kappa, any thoughts? I am up for about 135$ + or -. I just want good sounding mids and highs, am trying to avoid a sub. A friend of mine has a 300E with 2-12's and a good amount of power, 2 amps that total 1000+ watts, not all for the subs. but he was saying that you need alot for a benz to sound good, his install is kind of ghetto so is he full of shit or not?
Not sure what you are trying to do here. Bose speakers and bose amp are using a pretty low impedance (2 ohm).
If you were to replace only the front speakers, then you need to find one with the same spec (means the same impedance and power load) assuming you want to use the bose amp. I will re-wire the front system to use the amplifier in the head unit instead of the bose amplifier.

last thing i swear, is it worth waiting till after X-mas for sales, how much is the mark down?
I have no clue.

sorbo
11-11-2003, 09:52 AM
Wow i really had no clue thanks. the info is going to save me alot of time, energy and $cash$

merc_lover
11-12-2003, 03:12 PM
what about us "losers" that dont have the bose system, but rather the stock system?? :D do i have to buy an amp if i wanna change all the cheap speakers for good quality ones? my headunit is 45x4 watts so i guess i might need an amp to have better sound quality right?