PDA

View Full Version : AC went out and then difficulty starting

SLCPUNK
06-27-2015, 10:14 PM
(All new AC components about 5 years ago.)

Today I was driving and when I got back in my car, the air quit blowing cold. I pulled over, turned the car off, restarted and it returned to cold air. (was blowing ice cold before this) After our next stop, when I restarted the car, it would not blow cold.

By the time I got home, the car reeked. The smell was similar to model glue, very nasty chemical type smell.

Later I went to move the car from the street into the garage and it would not start until the second try, which has never happened before today.

There must be some correlation between the AC stopping and difficulty starting, but I can't imagine wtf it is.

Update: Checked around under the hood a few hours later and the overflow tank is almost entirely filled to the top. It's always much lower when hot.

UD 2 Ran diagnostic for AC and no codes came up. Cranked car on, and AC blew cold. Aux fans kick on as they should.

Thoughts?

wichipong
06-28-2015, 06:16 PM
check the thermostat... it might be intermittent.

SLCPUNK
06-28-2015, 06:19 PM
I wondered if that may be an issue, but not sure how a faulty thermostat would cause this?

Today I pulled diagnostic codes from the push button controller. I suspected maybe the evaporator temperature sensor was bad, but the readings were 49-67 degrees while driving. Which from what I read, is within range. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

I fired up the car, and drove it around the neighborhood and it blew ice cold. No stink...nothing. Now today currently it's about 97 degrees, while yesterday it was 112 in stop/go traffic here in Vegas.

I'm going to drive it to the gym now and see if it fails again. I'm trying to think of what else could cause the AC to stop blowing cold like this?