PDA

View Full Version : Is it OK to leave OBD2 reader under the hood while driving

MikeJM
07-11-2015, 02:44 AM
Sorry, I didn't find a better category to place this question.Anyway, I have a 2000 W202, C240. Unfortunately, unlike America, in Europe it was not a standard to have OBD2 port in cars built after 96, so mine doesn't have it either. What I have is a 38 pin diagnostic port under the hood. I've bought a 38 pin to 16 pin adapter so that I can connect to my WIFI OBD2 reader. I have purchased DashCommand app that really does a great job. But lots of features like average fuel consumption are only available while driving. I was wondering if it's OK to leave the OBD2 reader connected to the diagnostic port while I'm driving? Can it harm the system somehow?By system I mean the car.

dpc004
07-19-2015, 05:53 AM
The 38 pin diagnostic cable doesn't have a good seal like the plug that you must remove in order to use it. I would say for short term diagnostics it would be ok. I wouldn't drive through water puddles or anything. I'm curious about your setup, could you post a picture of the Wi-Fi OBD2 reader?

MikeJM
07-19-2015, 10:44 AM
Here's the reader itself
http://m.ebay.com/itm/WiFi-ELM327-Car-OBD2-OBDII-Diagnostic-Scanner-Tool-For-iPhone-Android-Mobile-/191603532932?nav=SEARCH

And this is the 38 pin to 16 pin adapter
http://m.ebay.com/itm/38-Pin-to-16-Pin-OBD2-OBDII-Diagnostic-Adapter-Connector-Cable-for-Mercedes-Benz-/271455493417?nav=SEARCH

walterk55
08-06-2015, 04:13 AM
I do not believe that the accessory can harm the system. Many people use these types of OBD2 accessories with no harm.

walterk55
08-06-2015, 04:15 AM
Kind of a shame that it is Android. Looks like a good product, but I need iPhone. Are you happy with it ?

MikeJM
08-06-2015, 04:25 AM
Kind of a shame that it is Android. Looks like a good product, but I need iPhone. Are you happy with it ?

That's not Android specific. As it transceives data through wifi channel it's also applicable with iPhone. My device is also iPhone not Android. There's an app called DashCommand in the AppStore that's around $10 and it's worth that. It's good, I'm happy with it. But I'll be happier if I can try it on the go. As I've already said my baby doesn't have an OBD2 port located in the cabin.

John Jones Jr.
08-06-2015, 04:17 PM
The 38 pin diagnostic cable doesn't have a good seal like the plug that you must remove in order to use it. I would say for short term diagnostics it would be ok. I wouldn't drive through water puddles or anything. I'm curious about your setup, could you post a picture of the Wi-Fi OBD2 reader?

Agree.

I ran my car for several weeks with OBD 38 pin plug in place while monitoring the engine. Noticed on removing the plug that there was slight corrosion on the port pins that connect to the ECU. That's why the port plastic cap has a rubber seal on it.

MikeJM
08-06-2015, 11:47 PM
Agree.

I ran my car for several weeks with OBD 38 pin plug in place while monitoring the engine. Noticed on removing the plug that there was slight corrosion on the port pins that connect to the ECU. That's why the port plastic cap has a rubber seal on it.

Hmm. That's what I was looking for. So there's indeed a danger.

John Jones Jr.
08-07-2015, 01:18 AM
Hmm. That's what I was looking for. So there's indeed a danger.

Yes, 100% especially in damp conditions.