PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel shakes like crazy--wheel bearing? Also, bought car w/dangly mirror. What broke?

BolivianFuego
08-31-2015, 06:35 PM
I bought this car off of my ex's dad. I looove the car to death, but it has its little issues.

The car recently had its brakes changed, which I thought was going to fix the steering wheel shake--but it didn't.

Instead...I found that the front right caliper was screwy and getting close to seized. The brake fluid was flushed and I am hoping that fixed it along with regreasing the pins and stuff in the caliper that needed grease. I noticed that one caliper didn't have much/any grease on some of the pins like the other side.

Steering wheel still shaked...so now I have no idea what it is. I guess it's the bearings...but which one? Is there a way I can tell?

Besides that, the car runs like a champ. I will change the oil this weekend. The AC runs cold...MOST of the time...it's weird, because it will just go warm for like a min or two and then come back and stay cold for the majority of the time.

Another issue is the pass mirror which looks to have a 'rubber' element inside snap that makes it dangle if I brake too hard or speed up too fast.

Can I replace the internals? And one last bug with this car, I am thinking that maybe the motor mount may be bad? At idle at a light the whole car shakes a bit. I've gotten used to it, but early on when I bought the car I noticed it.

Is there any leaks I should be aware of that are common? I noticed under the car some oil' or crud or something that may have leaked. This car doesn't leak oil though and it looks to be coming from the firewall area. Thouughts?

Pic for those interested :)

http://i59.tinypic.com/mscit.jpg

Dearlove
08-31-2015, 10:04 PM
did you change the rotors?

car looks nice btw

Vetruck
08-31-2015, 10:12 PM
A shaking wheel can be one of several tings. Lets start with the basics. 1)Check the tire for defects/bulges. 2) make sure the rim is true. Jack the car up and spin the wheels to see if they are straight. not bent or wobble on both inside and outside beads. 3) are the wheels balanced or is there noticeable mark where a balancing weight recently came off accidentally.
4) next after those are checked, and problem still exists- swap both front tires onto the other sides for a temporary test drive. See if problem changes or switches side in feel. If it does change what feels to be the other side now showing a problem or shaking seems a little different? then it could still be a defective tire that you are not seeing a defect or carcass weakness from age or road damage.

5) after checking all that, if you still have an issue I will be amazed., however if so then we will get into possible steering problems that would mean the car suffers badly from lack of maintenance.

ps- It is NOT a wheel bearing. You would hear that long before you felt any possible shaking like this.

BolivianFuego
09-01-2015, 04:59 AM
^^^^
The tires/wheels are perfect. The Monoblocks were professionally straightened/balanced with new tires. I did think that too in the past though, and I put on the old stock wheels--same shake.

I also swapped both front tires in the past to see if that wase an issue--it wasn't.

I searched on here and saw a guy who said he had shaking issues after 100KMPH which is about the speed I get shaking. They thought it was most likely wheel bearing...

I just did a quick search to see if I could find that thread...instead I found this one pointing to motor mount which I mentioned in the initial post as one of the problems this car feels like it has! http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?6927-if-your-car-does-these-things-change-the-motor-mounts!&highlight=steering+wheel+shake

This one here points to a possibility of wheel bearings too: http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?10125-Maintenance&highlight=steering+wheel+shake

The car too has felt sluggish, and reading this thread makes me think maybe this sensor needs to get changed? MAS Sensor? Is that hard to change? I am assuming it's tied to the intake for this car? http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?13521-mas-replacement-results&highlight=steering+wheel+shake

BolivianFuego
09-01-2015, 05:01 AM
did you change the rotors?

car looks nice btw

Yep. Pads and rotors, new from MB.

Thanks! I just finished detailing the hell out of it over the weekend. Still have to do paint correction though...which I hear is a pain because of the hard mercedes paint.

Denlasoul
09-01-2015, 07:15 AM
Motor mount and/or tranny mount could be the sources of shaking at idle.

Additionally, your LCA (lower control arm bushings) up front might be shot. That would cause some shaking.

If you do discover they are shot, I have a set of polyurethane ones for sale.

Vetruck
09-01-2015, 07:24 AM
^^^^
The tires/wheels are perfect. The Monoblocks were professionally straightened/balanced with new tires. I did think that too in the past though, and I put on the old stock wheels--same shake.

I also swapped both front tires in the past to see if that wase an issue--it wasn't.

I searched on here and saw a guy who said he had shaking issues after 100KMPH which is about the speed I get shaking. They thought it was most likely wheel bearing...

I just did a quick search to see if I could find that thread...instead I found this one pointing to motor mount which I mentioned in the initial post as one of the problems this car feels like it has! http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?6927-if-your-car-does-these-things-change-the-motor-mounts!&highlight=steering+wheel+shake

This one here points to a possibility of wheel bearings too: http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?10125-Maintenance&highlight=steering+wheel+shake

The car too has felt sluggish, and reading this thread makes me think maybe this sensor needs to get changed? MAS Sensor? Is that hard to change? I am assuming it's tied to the intake for this car? http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?13521-mas-replacement-results&highlight=steering+wheel+shake

Describe for me better what you mean by "shakes". Are you talking the wheel shaking left to right in rotation, or shakes in vibration including the dash etc.? Is it happening when brakes are applied, when turning a certain way, or is it happening just driving straight line with constant speed (no hard gassing or braking)? Please give more details when and how it is happening so I can give you better advice where too look for a problem.

Dean

ps- I read that wheel bearing post, I will say again, it is not a wheel bearing. They do not do what this guy thought he was describing. You probably have a worn out idler arm, ball joints, tie rod ends etc. Something is going bad in age/maintenance. Even possibly a shock combined with poor alignment, or could be a control arm bushing. Generally though, this is a combination of problems leading to this issue- it is why i need a little more specifics on how and when the shake is occurring.

BolivianFuego
09-01-2015, 07:37 AM
The last option.

The shaking occurs when driving straight, at 60-80MPH. Depending on road surface too...it's very strange. The steering wheel will just shake like as if the wheels needed balancing...but they don't.

Would a motor mount cause this issue? I have vibration during idle too, but i've gotten so used to it that I really don't feel it anymore. The car's vibration goes away once the car moves and hits 60MPH.

BolivianFuego
09-01-2015, 07:38 AM
Motor mount and/or tranny mount could be the sources of shaking at idle.

Additionally, your LCA (lower control arm bushings) up front might be shot. That would cause some shaking.

If you do discover they are shot, I have a set of polyurethane ones for sale.
Hmmm....good insight.

Vetruck
09-01-2015, 07:50 AM
The last option.

The shaking occurs when driving straight, at 60-80MPH. Depending on road surface too...it's very strange. The steering wheel will just shake like as if the wheels needed balancing...but they don't.

Would a motor mount cause this issue? I have vibration during idle too, but i've gotten so used to it that I really don't feel it anymore. The car's vibration goes away once the car moves and hits 60MPH.

You most likely have drivetrain issues. It will cause the driveshaft to vibrate and will transfer vibration into the subframe carrage if the body to subframe bushings are bad. Engine mounts will do this as well. Put jacks under different areas and see if you have flex/play in these areas in relations to the chassis. If so then a change in bushings is in order.

I personally have some play in motor mounts (very badly on the left side especially. I can get about almost 1" of movement when I jack it. I get a slight vibration at idle, but I get absolutely no vibration at all at speed and Ive recently had this car cruising at about 110mph coming home one evening for about 10 miles or so. SO I would say no on motor mounts causing steering wheel shakes. How is your rear subframe mounts?

BolivianFuego
09-01-2015, 08:23 AM
^^^Good points.

I will have to get her up and check it out this or next weekend.

To be honest, the rear subrame mounts, I am NOT sure. Haven't checked it out either.

Vetruck
09-01-2015, 08:25 AM
Push and pull on every wheel when in the air. Check for slop or play in all the joints.

BolivianFuego
09-01-2015, 10:15 AM
Will do.

Will update this thread once I know more.

Also looked into cleaning the MAF sensor to make the car hopefully run a bit better. The idle can be funny at times and the car will sometimes shut off after starting up within the first second or two. No CEL but I wonder...

BolivianFuego
09-02-2015, 06:23 AM
Looking to buy new motor mounts from Rock Auto.

How many mounts are on this car? And I was told to replace the tranny one too. I am hoping that will help fix the issues with vibration. On my list of things to do:

- Change the motor mounts
- Inspect bushings all around
- Clean MAF sensor
- Replace air filter with K&N one
- Change car's oil (been 10K on the last synthetic oil+new filter)
- Clean Throttle Body
- Replace AC/air filter and clean out debris (been having weak air flow out of outer vents, and the air smells funny lol)

It's been fun tinkering with this car. In the future too, I may do a full respray fixing the little rust spots that have popped up over the car through the years and paint matching the door handle (leaving the chrome) and paint matching the side moldings that came a grayish. I love this car!

Chisel86
09-02-2015, 09:13 AM
Two engine mounts (L&R) and one rear trans mount. All pretty easy to replace.

Lower control arm bushings tend to fail as well. Check those as well as the tie rods and idler arm bushing.

BolivianFuego
09-02-2015, 09:42 AM
Thanks, man. Will do.

sicelo
09-05-2015, 12:24 PM
The steering damper/shock?

BolivianFuego
09-06-2015, 06:42 AM
Hmmmm....

funboy2000
09-08-2015, 04:42 AM
Thank god I'm not the only one with this problem. So far I've replaced all four shocks, springs, a wheel bearing, lower control arm bushings, the full steering draglink assembly and thats about it if I dont count the wheels and tyres. All my tyres and wheels were round and true and also balanced. Looking at doing motor mounts soon (thanks pagz) and maybe tranny. upper control arms are also on the list.

Actually, have you checked how much play you have in the steering specifically in the steering box? Doing 100k/60 ish miles n hour, my wheel has some play like no feedback if you turn the wheel. Im thiniking of taking the merc to the stealership to get that adjusted out in the steering box.

BolivianFuego
09-08-2015, 04:50 AM
After doing some research, I have s feeling it's the damper as the poster said above. I've read and seen some videos and that the wobble at 60 MPH and above it should shake.

I am hoping the cheap replacement of the damper will fix it. Will probably order it this week and install. Will report back.

Vetruck
09-08-2015, 07:31 AM
If you bothered taking the time and jacking the car off the ground and tugging on the wheels, you see where the paly is. GO ahead and just take time reading the internet and throw wasteful money at the car. Sorry, I can't help if you don;t listen.

BolivianFuego
09-08-2015, 07:39 AM
Buddy, there's no need to take an aggressive/angry tone. I will check ALL of that when I have time.

You very well could be right also.

But because it's the easiest and cheapest to fix (steering damper, $25), logically speaking--it will be the first thing I will fix. So just take a couple of deep breaths, and if that's not it--your suggestion will be next.

Thanks again, everyone for the suggestions. This car has been quite the trip/fun so far.

Vetruck
09-08-2015, 10:39 AM
I wasn't angry, I was laughing and shaking my head. Trying to help you not throw money at your car But if you want to do that hey go ahead I don't have any more to suggestions for you. Good luck. I just don't get why you ask advice and then disregard it. Bye.

BolivianFuego
09-08-2015, 11:58 AM
Again--I never disregarded your opinion/advice--but you're taking it as such and to the point that it is comical in of itself.

I rather 'throw' $25 and it being the answer FIRST. If it's not a fix, I just lost $25 on replacing a part that will go bad in time. If I go with your route, It could very well cost me hundreds fo dollars.

Now, logic tells one to try out the easy/cheaper option to see if it would fix it. I don't see how you could be so upset about that or so 'bothered'?

You rub me as someone who isn't used to getting their way.....

predrag1
09-08-2015, 12:20 PM
Youd be surprised to learn that some tire shops dont know how to balance tires.

Go to Les Schwab and request "road force balancing" and see if they can help you.

I had crazy vibration after doing LCA bushes and new tires and the guy that balanced them said bent rim or some shit.

Took it to les schwab and had it resolved.

Vetruck
09-08-2015, 02:11 PM
Again--I never disregarded your opinion/advice--but you're taking it as such and to the point that it is comical in of itself.

I rather 'throw' $25 and it being the answer FIRST. If it's not a fix, I just lost $25 on replacing a part that will go bad in time. If I go with your route, It could very well cost me hundreds fo dollars.

Now, logic tells one to try out the easy/cheaper option to see if it would fix it. I don't see how you could be so upset about that or so 'bothered'?

You rub me as someone who isn't used to getting their way.....
1st off- you accused me of of being angry. Ask yourself " what does vetruck have to be angry about"? It's your car that is broken, not mine. Check yourself or I will.

2nd- I am an expert in chassis dynamics, you're the noob coming in to here asking for advice. I give it ( for your info, I was chosen to moderate this forums chassis/suspension section because of my professional background) with that I give you advice that you toss aside and do not take 30mins of your life and a jack and check for free

3rd- where did you come up with my advice costing you more than the $25 you buying for a possible only temporary at best bandaid fix to a greater problem?

Check your attitude partner, consider this a formal warning.

Now with that said, I am here to help if you ask, but I will appreciate you respecting the knowledge and members on this forum.

BolivianFuego
09-08-2015, 02:58 PM
1st off- you accused me of of being angry. Ask yourself " what does vetruck have to be angry about"? It's your car that is broken, not mine. Check yourself or I will.
Vetruck is angry that I didn't listen to his suggestion first. He's upset I went with a more logical (money wise) suggestion first over what he suggested earlier.

2nd- I am an expert in chassis dynamics, you're the noob coming in to here asking for advice. I give it ( for your info, I was chosen to moderate this forums chassis/suspension section because of my professional background) with that I give you advice that you toss aside and do not take 30mins of your life and a jack and check for free
Noob?? LOL Very 'professional' of yourself. All I see is ego here. When did I TOSS aside your advice? All I did was say from my brief research it very well could be the damper.

You somehow took that as a slight because I didn't go with your suggestion first? Ego? I get you're the moderator, expert, etc. But you're on some power trip here ripping into me because I didn't do what you suggested first? Go look in the mirror and see how ridiculous you're acting....

3rd- where did you come up with my advice costing you more than the $25 you buying for a possible only temporary at best bandaid fix to a greater problem?
Drivetrain issues you suggested, bushing issues next--labor for that can cost a good chunk of change, not just buy new bushings and pushing themselves by hand! Some of us may not have access to presses like yourself or others.

Check your attitude partner, consider this a formal warning.
If you want to ban me for calling you out on losing your cool for not listening to you? Go for it. You crossed your 'line' as a moderator/'expert' by how you're conducting yourself when someone didn't quite do as you told them....

Now with that said, I am here to help if you ask, but I will appreciate you respecting the knowledge and members on this forum.
I respect your knowledge, but check your ego before you get angry over me not going with your suggestions directly. You're not the end all be all for answers in this thread.....

And if indeed you are correct, I will be the first to say 'thank you' as I've been nothing but grateful to you and others who've chimed in.

Chisel86
09-09-2015, 05:26 AM
This is the same crap I see with the air-cooled Volkswagen forum I administer. Many people come and ask why their steering shakes and most of the time the (incorrect) answer of "replace your steering dampener" is offered up. Sure its a cheap and easy part to replace, but it only temporarily masks the problem, if at all, and in the meantime, the parts that really need replacing are continuing to get worse. Take it from someone who knows about the subject matter and you'll have a better result in the long run.

BolivianFuego
09-09-2015, 05:55 AM
This is EXACTLY what I wanted when I signed up for this forum to learn more about my car. A bunch of 'know it alls' who feel they are the end all be all when it comes to diagnostics and repair.

I don't doubt my 160K mile car will need its bushings in the majority of the suspension replaced in time....but for the sake of saving some money, I plan to try out the $25 option first.

If you feel so inclined/appalled by me doing that first, please feel free to send money my way to fund the installing of new bushings. I'd be happy to start a go-fund-me account or just even put my own paypal account out there if it bothers the two of you so much.

Since it isn't either of you paying for it, I find it comical that both of you would get soooo bothered by Vetruck's advice not being IMMEDIATELY followed. The two of you must have endless supply of 'fun' money, unfortunately I DO NOT. Keep that in mind going forward. Thanks

Chisel86
09-09-2015, 06:40 AM
I'm not appalled, I think it's humorous. I don't have "fun" money either, but I know enough to not skimp and fix things proper when they need it. If you need a baid-aid for a while, fine, but don't disregard the proper fixes in time when you can afford it.

BolivianFuego
09-09-2015, 06:58 AM
All I know is, if the bushings need fixing, they will be handled in due time. Until then, I can only handle/go with what my A. Time can afford, and B. my Wallet.

Until then, even if I see dry, cracked bushings I will have to make due until I can afford it.

Chisel86
09-09-2015, 07:29 AM
Yup, sometimes that's all you can do.

Vetruck
09-09-2015, 08:03 AM
In the mean time Chisel, his ego has lead him to spend money on 1) a professional balance, 2) buying new pads and rotors 3) wanting to buy wheel bearings and me stopping him, 4) wanting to buy motor mounts and me stopping him, 5) wanting to buy a new steering dampner and me stopping him. Yet he thinks I have an ego and I am wasting his money? Really?

And a the while he has yet to jack the car up for free and tug in the wheels to see if there is a bad tierod, idler arm, balljoint etc.

I am reporting this guy to Den for just blatant disrespect here.

Chisel86
09-09-2015, 08:09 AM
In the mean time Chisel, his ego has lead him to spend money on 1) a professional balance, 2) buying new pads and rotors 3) wanting to buy wheel bearings and me stopping him, 4) wanting to buy motor mounts and me stopping him, 5) wanting to buy a new steering dampner and me stopping him. Yet he thinks I have an ego and I am wasting his money? Really?

And a the while he has yet to jack the car up for free and tug in the wheels to see if there is a bad tierod, idler arm, balljoint etc.

Agreed. Sometimes people have their mind set on what they're gonna do and no amount of reasoning will change that.

BolivianFuego
09-09-2015, 08:47 AM

Wow. And you're supposed to be a moderator?

Also, your lack of response to my PM pointing out how YOU were the one that crossed the line with me, and post here first--shows where you stand.

I just spent 800ish dollars on the brakes thinking it was warped rotors that caused the shaking. I was contemplating buying those other parts if they indeed were teh issue. Your fix is the most expensive out of the rest.

Choose to frame it in anyway you wish. Like I said, if you and Chisel want to donate to a fund me account, go for it. I wuold be HAPPY to check all you have outlined by a professional and fixed if that's the case--but if it's not and I am out 100s of dollars...I would be pissed. Now, if you and Chisel want to donate to me to help a man out who doesn't have much money--feel free. I am happy to provide my paypal account. :)

Chisel86
09-09-2015, 10:34 AM
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0768/3197/files/Two_Cents_PNG_compact.png

BolivianFuego
09-09-2015, 11:10 AM
If you ain't helpin', get out the way!

Until then, if you have something to say--please keep it to PM. I rather keep this thread useful, not full of a bunch of BS.

Infact--Vetruck--if you do indeed care about this forum, delete all the BS starting from your post #21 onward. I want my thread to one day help a member on here.

Denlasoul
09-09-2015, 11:55 AM
Alright everyone, I'm locking this Thread up.

Let's be civil everyone and don't take everything personally. It started out pretty good, but fell to shit fast. LOL