PDA

View Full Version : big maitnance job need help

vaspen
10-11-2015, 03:06 PM
ok so noise ive had keeps getting louder like a diesel and its pissing me off ...
in gonna replace
motor mounts
tensioner shock
timing chain
and guids
tranny mount
anything els that would make my car make this diesel noise ?
00 c230 auto

vaspen
10-11-2015, 04:23 PM
Looking at 465 for chain 3 guids and the tensioner from Napa and cheaper place I can go with good quality chain?
He'll it may not even need replacement but I would like to as I'm at 148k now

Chisel86
10-13-2015, 08:25 AM
Mine kinda sounds like that too. It's a CA car so it might have a smog pump that others may not have. It's quite loud on start-up but goes away when it warms up. Then theres an exhaust noise like you're describing and I'm thinking it's a leak in the exhaust somewhere under the car.

vaspen
10-13-2015, 08:53 AM
600 from m.b
See I thought it was a exhaust leak too but I have a header and full new exhaust and header gasket
Mines really loud on start up quiets down after the initial 1min warm-up
Only on throttle will it make noise aka when the chain is under more tension
I'll keep it in 3rd 3 rpm no gas quite and I hear the s.c fine
Light throttle noise comes in if I had a exhaust leak it would be constant
did same test sitting still in second gear start power break a little and noise comes in s.c disengaged noise still there
(Rules out s.c )
in gear high rpm rules out exhaust in my case

Belt tensioner shock is in good shape only minimal movement but not enough to make this noise I'm having
Possibly motor mounts but I'm more inclined on timing chain
Any pulley would have had to pass my stethoscope test also
long flat screwdriver on a non moving part near the pulley and hold to ear (great trick to find bad pulley) or noise locations

vaspen
10-13-2015, 02:15 PM
update I found a kit for 240 looked up the manufacturers of the parts included and they are of good quality company's
Part Brand: IWIS, CRP, GENUINE, FEBI
Part Notes: ( IWIS Engine Timing Chain x1)( CRP, GENUINE, GENUINE Engine Timing Chain Guide x3)( FEBI Engine Timing Chain Tensioner x1)
sound like good brands to you guys ?

Denlasoul
10-14-2015, 07:59 AM
What is the part number?

vaspen
10-14-2015, 09:47 AM
Another update found it to still be a frigin header leak -.- / thanks gosh ... Craps gaskets gata lovem
However I will still get the timing chain kit
It's a eBay kit however the manufacturer of the parts are good quality from what I can tell I'll post the link later

wichipong
10-14-2015, 11:13 PM
is it only when you accelerate? if yes try replacing the belt tensioner shock first

vaspen
10-15-2015, 07:22 AM
Shall do wichi my tensioner is at 50% on the indicator bar
And here is the link for the kit
http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=371315020047

Chisel86
10-15-2015, 07:26 AM
When I got my car, it didn't even have a tensioner shock. I didn't know that it was suppose to have one for the longest time. It's got one now.

vaspen
10-15-2015, 02:47 PM
I'm thinking my head has a warped exhaust side or something guy at work who has a old charger said he had to use 2 gaskets to get it to quit the same kind of noise
the squish type gasket that is when I pulled the old gasket off the front cyl and back cyl is where it was leaking at back was leaking bottom left and front was bottom right
ill buy a new dampener shock, magnetic cam adjuster, flexpipe (sense header I got rid of it )
I know its not the dyno comp header because when the stock log was on it still made this noise

and wichipong its only under throttle or when cold start up, once warm at idle its very hard to hear until throttle is applied
chisel I know my issue may very whell be a part of this header gasket so next time I get a chance ima try using more sealant /checking to make shure my head isn't warped slightly on aluminum it wouldn't take much ...
also can anyone shoot me the proper tourq specks for the manifold bolts

Chisel86
10-16-2015, 10:41 AM
I've been thinking mine is an exhaust leak for a while now. I just need to do more investigating.

vaspen
10-17-2015, 03:15 PM
i would like to point this out to everyone ^.^ you should run over your manifold bolts with a 12 mill deep wrench if there the stock bolts
before new gasket cyl 1&4 ? front and back blew the gasket out so new gasket because of my neglect and knowledge
anytime you take the manifold (or in my case the header ) off you need to re tighten them everynow and then until fully seated
I changed the gasket and had my father do the bolts so anything wrong I could blame him ... (yea I'm a dick ... lol)
I watched him tighten all 11 or 12 (w.e...) bolts...all of em .. I just re checked mine and cyl 1 closest infront of car WAS LOOSE !! like finger loose!!
so I ran back over all of them 3 were a little loose but that one was ... wow...
ANYWHO moral of my post here Is they take a few times to re snug them back up properly heat expands cool contracts therefore bolts that were tight now become loose
and just checked my car in w mode 1300 rpm (before noise ) now ? no noise

like I said down road I do want to do timing chain before my car hits 170k I'm at 147k (so info or opinion's on that ebay link !!)
ordered the belt dampener, fan clutch, driveshaft bushing (front I believe )
and next check ill order left motor mount and trans mount and rear driveshaft bushing (if I can find it if it exists I forget ..)
I'm on a long road to make this car ... **muah * perfecto *again

vaspen
10-17-2015, 03:18 PM
chisel I would seriously check them if I were you you need to remove the intake upper tube and oil air separator and the exhaust manifold shield
should be a 12 mill or a 13 if they were replaced
front lower is a bitch ... well ... there all a bitch with the o.e manifold .. hehe header is awesome ... :D

vaspen
11-05-2015, 04:49 PM
So here's a small update
I got another exhaust gasket used a $!+ tone of rvt as a 100% sealer while I was in there I replaced all e-mnfld studs 8*1.25 from Napa u need 2 packs
My check valve for the egr shit has a hole in it 70ish from dealer and the tube was loose 180$ not needing replaced just tightened up
for now I have the valve j.b welded where the rust hole was so those 3 things took a lot of the noise out so I suspect the check valve may be a part of the issue ( recirculation system to warm motor up faster)
That and been replacing a lot of the small vac hoses just because they need it
Need a s.c belt -.- had 2 whole ribs go missing 0.o
Ordered the magnetic cam thingy too as that got oil coming out the connector (78$ish as well ) from dealership
So after these things (will replace check valve / magnet thinngy tmro ) if those don't fix the noise Ima go for timing chain kit finally 147 k I don't care if it seems like I'm just throwing money at it shit needs to be top notch with my cars mechanically :)

vaspen
11-05-2015, 04:53 PM

vaspen
11-05-2015, 05:01 PM

Chisel86
11-06-2015, 06:57 AM
What header is it?

vaspen
11-06-2015, 09:02 PM
Dyno comp2828u

update got the new cam magnet sensor still makes noise really leaning on chain has slack so... ill replace the drivers side and tranny mount ... lol
really removing any possibilitys that its something else hell.... it may even be a boost leak but I push 8 psi from the head .. and from what ive read that's about right for where I live
so... vibration, valve tap, boost leak, chain slack, mounts, bodymounts?,supercharger bearings?, bad pulley? these are the possibility's I can think of

vaspen
12-23-2015, 12:01 PM
still haven't found the elusive issue however would anyone be able to inform me on the oversized bore head gasket vs standard ? I'm at a loss here on that as I have found a small head gasket leak on back right of my block and where I might be able to find a kit
m.b says 115 but he dosent know whats in the kit ? (b.s buddy)

vaspen
01-13-2016, 03:26 PM
The head is off finally small leak in the back right of block finally made me flip the trigger to get the head off

I WILL HAVE THE EXHAUST PORTED AND POLISHED. Not shure if I can on the intake POLISHED at least tho
Found 2 small emissions issues
The thing under the intake and some plastic line can't remember
Was gna take pins but the phone died

vaspen
01-26-2016, 10:01 AM
update #*#*#
halfway done mates
the pcv valve was bad that sits under the intake and the hoses were brittle and the 2 plugs were clogged
and I ordered the proper crank case vent hose :P
I'm runngin out of things that may be the issue other than a bad bushing\ mount somewhere

vaspen
02-29-2016, 05:26 PM

vaspen
03-04-2016, 11:26 AM
finished car has really been freshened up