PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to drop the rear diff without dropping the whole subframe? 00 c230

Pocketzest
12-30-2015, 02:16 PM
My diff is shredded. I gotta spare one though. It didn't look too hard until I started loosening things. Got the flex disc out and whatnot, loosened the two 19mm holding the back of the diff to the subframe. Went to loosen the third mounting bolt, an 8mm hex socket set back from where the flex disc mounts about 3" toward the rear of the car on the passenger side, pointing straight up and after a couple cranks I realize it isn't unthreading. So I stick my hands up in there, and manage to wiggle my index finger into the porthole in the subframe where the bolt mounts, and there appears to be a fucking nut there, freely rotating when I twist. What the fuck, Mercedes? WHY U NO HAVE INTEGRAL THREADS? This is majorly inconvenient, I don't think I could fit a wrench up there, and even if I could I don't think I could get it to seat on that nut. Is there a special tool or technique I'm overlooking? From what I understand I'd need to remove my springs and shocks to drop the subframe, and I don't have the tools to do so. Shop wants $300 to put the diff in for me, and I'm starting to think that isn't a bad price considering how frustrated this has made me.

Vetruck
12-30-2015, 06:22 PM
The reason why the rear subframe is removable is for ease of working on things. Same for FWD cars removing the entire engine out of the car so you can actually work on stuff without the car in the way.

John Jones Jr.
12-31-2015, 12:57 AM
Yes you can remove the diff without taking the subframe down. What I don't understand is the exact problem you are having with single front diff mount. I must have a good look at my one today as it's up on axle stands at the moment.

Pocketzest
12-31-2015, 10:02 AM
I tried to snap some photos yesterday, but my phone wasn't working properly. I'll see if I can post what I'm looking at today.

Pocketzest
01-01-2016, 03:12 PM
Scratch that. The mount was just so worn out that it was rotating in place with the screw, I managed to jam a screw driver into the mount to hold it and unthread the bolt. Differential is out!

John Jones Jr.
01-02-2016, 02:40 AM
Ah, I wondering what your problem was. That explains it. Are going to fit two new rear mounts also?