PDA

View Full Version : Excessive oil consumption

deni
01-08-2016, 07:52 AM
Hi guys and gals.

I have an S202.082, which is a w202 wagon with M111.944 192ps 2 liter kompressor engine. The car has 480,000 km.

I got it cheap in september 2015 with about 477k km. It had been used mainly on highway journeys.

Engine was OK, MAF was shot and oily. I had all fluids and filters changed and other service like brake pads etc. I also converted it to LPG.

I cleaned the I/C by filling it with degreaser and water and let it settle for around 2 hrs then empty it. I also got a cheap ebay MAF which sprung the s/c back to life and the engine was ok-ish. It is good I didn't buy right away a more expensive MAF (BOSCH or Pierburg) as the MAF was still getting dirty. I assume there was still oil left in the pipes and s/c as I didn't get any more oil after about 2 months. I also disconnected the breather hose and let it vent in the air. I also disconnected and blocked the small vacuum tube connecting the s/c plenuum with the oil separator (based on what this guy did http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/2428273-custom-air-oil-separator-why-factory.html). Strange enough, I could see some times vapor coming out of the oil separator but no oil whatsoever. There is no visible blow by from the oil dip stick or when opening oil fill cap with engine running (only some oil splattering around).

The engine was filled up to around half between min and max. IIRC oil was mobil 1 5w-40 (sorry for this I know it is important but I forgot to ask the mechanic).

The oil level remained the same for about 2 months and 2500 km. The car was used mainly in the city and max 20 km highway

The first OIL issue I experience was when returning from a trip to the seaside (~45km each way). On the way back, almost at the end of the highway journey, the yellow oil light lit for about 1 min then went off. I had been driving in 5th at around 2200 - 2300 rpm.

I parked the car in the garage and in the evening I check the oil level as I had a longer journey the next day. The oil level was very slightly below mid between min and max. Thought it must have been some sort of electrical glitch and shrugged it off.

The next day I left for a 400 km round trip journey 2/3 highway, about 30 min mountain driving rest was city and b roads. In the morning the MAF was not behaving good and it had disconnected the s/c so I was running n/a without s/c. After around 150 km after I had left home and on the highway at around 2300 - 2500 rpm the oil light lit and it wouldn't turn off. I continued for around 10 min until I had finished the highway journey and one I entered b roads (40 - 50 kph) the oil light went off. Once I entered the next city I bought 2 liter of oil and added about 500 ml to the engine. Continued my 45 min journey across the city and up the mountain. The oil light remained off. Next day was returning and 10 - 15 min after I had entered the highway the oil light turned on again. I continued the journey and the light would go on and off. Drove for around 40 km until I finished the first highway stint and added the other 500ml from the first can. Kept driving and after around 1 hour of b road and short highway stints, the light kept going on and off. At the end of the journey, I stopped for lunch for about 1/5 hrs. When I checked the oil level it was below min. I added the second liter of oil and returned home.

After that journey I have done only about 100 - 150 km of city driving so haven't checked the oil level yet.

I talked to my mechanic and he told me most probably it is the valve seals. I read a bit about the valve seals and people are saying that the most obvious thing when valve seals go bad is a plume of smoke on start up after a long rest. I haven't seen any smoke on start up or while running.

Any idea what to look for?

Thanks

Deni

deni
01-08-2016, 11:52 AM
Checked oil tonight and none was consumed in the last 150km of city driving.

John Jones Jr.
01-08-2016, 03:58 PM
Have a read of this. A blocked PCV valve or cylinder head breather jets are not uncommon.

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=34036

deni
01-08-2016, 04:15 PM
Have a read of this. A blocked PCV valve or cylinder head breather jets are not uncommon.

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=34036

Would that happen even if I am venting on the atmosphere (like this link http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/2428273-custom-air-oil-separator-why-factory.html)?

As a temporary solution, can I just remove the oil separator and vent directly in the atmosphere like this link: https://mercedesdata.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/photo.jpg

deni
01-08-2016, 04:15 PM
double post

deni
01-09-2016, 12:52 AM
I unpluged the oil separator and there is no blowby fumes whatsoever as in the attachment.

John Jones Jr.
01-09-2016, 02:22 PM
There's two oil breather systems. High and low flow. See post number 4.

http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-general-discussion/77889-crankcase-breather-hoses.html

deni
01-09-2016, 03:00 PM
There's two oil breather systems. High and low flow. See post number 4.

http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-general-discussion/77889-crankcase-breather-hoses.html

I have thought about it but to me it doesn't make sense as if my low flow breather is clogged then I should be seeing oil in the high flow breather (the one I have disconnected in the photo) but I am not seeing any oil or blowby. I ran with it unplugged today and there is no oil whatsoever.

John Jones Jr.
01-09-2016, 03:31 PM
I have thought about it but to me it doesn't make sense as if my low flow breather is clogged then I should be seeing oil in the high flow breather (the one I have disconnected in the photo) but I am not seeing any oil or blowby. I ran with it unplugged today and there is no oil whatsoever.

Sorry, can't help so as from my understanding there's only two things that will oil up your MAF from what I know, worn engine or blocked oil breather.

deni
01-10-2016, 01:07 AM
Now I am more worried finding where the oil is going.

John Jones Jr.
01-10-2016, 02:24 AM
My advice is to clean all the oil breathers including the one under the inlet manifold and clean out or change the PVC valve as well. Make sure there're no splits in any of the hoses too. Then drive the car, keep an eye on the oil level and try and make sure your oil level warning sensor is operating correctly, as the worst thing you could do is overfill the sump.

deni
01-11-2016, 05:38 AM
Lets say the breather is cloged. Where does the oil go?

John Jones Jr.
01-11-2016, 05:58 AM
This is what could occur:

The oil/air mix will force its way out through any other convenient exit e.g. oil seals, dip stick, filler cap, etc.
The efficiency of the oil control rings will be reduced creating increased oil consumption.
Impurities such as water vapour and acids (by products of combustion) will build up and contaminate the oil causing sludging and increased engine wear.
The adverse affect on the air/fuel mixture will result in starting problems and rough idling conditions.
As a consequence of the weakened fuel charge, detonation or ‘pinking’ will ensue. To compensate, the ignition will need retarding resulting in further power loss.

deni
01-11-2016, 06:33 AM
Is there anything breather related below the valve cover that can be clogged?