PDA

View Full Version : Knocking noise

kinglui
03-26-2016, 08:28 AM
Hello I am new to this forum
I recently just cracked my oil pan going over a bump. And just yesterday I got my mechanic to replace the pan with the gasket. Along with oil, filter, value cover gasket, spark plugs and breather house. After all that when my mechanic started the car up the car started making a loud knocking noise from the oil pan and it wouldn't go away please help.

John Jones Jr.
03-26-2016, 04:18 PM
Incorrect oil pan, not deep enough and the conrod bearing caps are hitting it?

kinglui
03-26-2016, 10:32 PM

Thank you So much for responding. and i am not sure i ordered a pan from eBay the part came from a mercedes SLK which i am guessing is the problem.do you think i have damaged anything else when the wrong pan was on?

kinglui
03-26-2016, 10:33 PM

Thank you So much for responding. and i am not sure i ordered a pan from eBay the part came from a mercedes SLK which i am guessing is the problem.do you think i have damaged anything else when the wrong pan was on?

John Jones Jr.
03-27-2016, 02:05 PM

If the incorrect pan is the problem, I don't know as I'm only guessing, there should not be any damage to the engine other than possibly internal marks on the pan or the pan baffle.

Abbaso
03-28-2016, 12:05 AM
Sorry to hear about it. But how long did it take for you to notice the pan was cracked? The slk pan is the same as w202 if it were too shallow would have hit the oil pick up. It may have already picked up a knock already. Damage was done before your mechanic had a go at it most probably

John Jones Jr.
03-28-2016, 02:42 PM
Sorry to hear about it. But how long did it take for you to notice the pan was cracked? The slk pan is the same as w202 if it were too shallow would have hit the oil pick up. It may have already picked up a knock already. Damage was done before your mechanic had a go at it most probably

That's a good point Abbas. And every possibility you've hit the nail on the head - engine damaged prior to replacement pan fitted especially as you say the pans are the same on the SLK.

Kinglui, how much oil leaked out before the pan was replaced?