PDA

View Full Version : A/C compressor engages but blows cold air intermediately

deni
05-18-2016, 11:27 AM
Hello,

I have a 1998 C200 Kompressor with digital system

Below is the history of my A/C:

I bought the car last September and the A/C was not working (EC light was staying lit).

In April I cleared the codes through the onboard diagnostic system and I could engage and disengage the compressor clutch by pressing the EC button, but there was no cooling.

I had the a/c coolant flushed and refilled and the a/c was blowing cold (5*c or 41*F on the evap core).

A couple of days later I see a/c coolant vapor coming out and saw that the glass screen of the drier had cracked and the coolant was evaporating from there. The viscous fan didn't seem to be working either as the engine temp would stay around 96 - 98*c and push up to 100*c then the aux electric fans would engage just to drop the engine temp.

I had the viscous fan replaced as well as the drier replaced and system refilled.

After that I could see that the lowest evap core was 11 - 12*C (52 - 54*F) and then it would just stop blowing cold air. The A/C clutch stays engaged during all this time.

I had the A/C system rechecked and they told me that the A/C compressor must be dying and needs replaced.

After the viscous fan change I haven't seen the aux electric fans engage at all while the a/c is running (engine temp stays around 84-86c).

I also noticed that when the a/c stops blowing cold air, the a/c compressor speed stays at 000 even if the clutch is engaged and I rev the engine.

I know it is difficult to help diagnose these issues remotely but can the a/c compressor fail in such a short time?

Thank you,

Deni

wichipong
05-19-2016, 10:29 PM
did you check your thermostat?

deni
05-20-2016, 02:06 AM
did you check your thermostat?

Thermostat is about months old and the car has no heating issues after the viscious fan replacement. Temp hovers in the 82-86*c range.