PDA

View Full Version : I broke my C280 :(

SirMax
08-17-2016, 07:17 PM
So
Two weeks ago, I got in my first car crash. Today I found out that the car is totalled. There's a chance I can keep the car and rebuild it myself and reregister it as a salvage title.

My problem is, does anyone know of any hookups in the LA area who might have parts for a 202? Specifically I'm looking for an entire cooling system, hood, headlights, and front bumper.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm looking into modifying the car while I rebuild it, particularly lowering it, putting an exhaust kit on it and turbocharging it.

Thanks

Max

wichipong
08-17-2016, 08:10 PM
pick n pull or craigslist is your best bet

Vetruck
08-17-2016, 10:07 PM
:( I threw my old bumpers in the trash bin 2 months ago. they were in great shape but I was not about to store them forever after fitting the BRABUS parts a few years ago.

kowalski
08-18-2016, 05:40 AM
sorry to hear about your car
are you OK?

how bad was you car damaged?
do you have any pics to show us?

junkyards will be the cheapest place to find parts for your car

SirMax
08-18-2016, 08:40 PM
thanks for the support guys.
Yes i'm fine. I'm pissed but I'm fine.

The front bumper and hood are bent and the grill was crushed. I think the radiator was cracked but nothing leaked anywhere that I know of. I'm gonna try and hit up some junkyards that my friend's dad knows about thats Mercedes only, but I have school starting next week so it'll take longer to get the money for parts and all that stuff.

wichipong
08-18-2016, 10:46 PM
i have an s600 grill insert for sale if your frame is still good

SirMax
09-06-2016, 03:05 PM
Quick update:

Miraculously, we found another 96 C280 in the same color, it doesn't run, but we took everything I broke on mine off of it and now my car is up and running again. It's not as pristine as before, but at least I get to have my beloved car back :)
It still needs to be re-registered and inspected and all that jazz, so I'm not out of the woods yet but almost.
So, I'm not quite out of Club202 yet. Hopefully I'll put another million or so miles on it before I break it again.

Any advice on what I should strip off the parts car before it gets towed off? I need to put the crashed bumper and hood on it in order to call it "complete," also can't take the wheels, but from what I can tell the engine and everything else is intact.

All best,
Max M

SirMax
09-06-2016, 03:08 PM

mbsickness
09-06-2016, 06:16 PM
Good job. Any pictures of the repaired car?

SirMax
09-06-2016, 07:35 PM
Ignore the black tape, I'm not keeping that on...
In the first picture you can see the black/silver mismatched grille-thing, but I don't think it looks that bad.
In the second picture, theres a crack down the middle of the grey area where we think a previous collision was repaired.
Also, the license plate frame is slightly tilted

But considering the "before" I think it looks pretty good.

wichipong
09-06-2016, 08:52 PM
well if you're using it as a commute vehicle and if looks dont bother you then I would say it is ok...

mbsickness
09-07-2016, 06:47 AM
Looks great. Like Wichi said I wouldn't worry about all this minor details. I had to study the pictures to see the mentioned areas

SirMax
09-08-2016, 02:12 PM
thank you all
I couldn't care less about the little things. I'm still shocked I get to keep the car :)
I might get around to perfecting it when I have more time/money/resources somewhere down the road