PDA

View Full Version : CF Hood?

e26
11-14-2003, 08:02 PM
Any other companies besides VIS make a CF hood for the W202.

It's either that or a OEM C230 Hood for me :(

jnolte
11-16-2003, 01:11 AM
i have only seen VIS, but do not know much about them. I asked my freind who has a 99 civic SI and he has a VIS CF hood, he says its a great hood with almost OEM fitment

e26
11-16-2003, 04:33 PM
i have only seen VIS, but do not know much about them. I asked my freind who has a 99 civic SI and he has a VIS CF hood, he says its a great hood with almost OEM fitment

VIS CF hood for the 202 seems to be top notch. They use oem

latch points so their's no need for hood pins.

Though I think I can have one custom made. Didn't want to go

that route.

I'll have to find someone with a 202 and borrow their hood.

My buddy prob wouldn't let me borrow his hood :(

Brabus
11-16-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by e26
VIS CF hood for the 202 seems to be top notch. They use oem

latch points so their's no need for hood pins.

If that's the case... then why not just go with VIS?

jnolte
11-16-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Brabus
If that's the case... then why not just go with VIS? :werd:

e26
11-17-2003, 02:37 PM
If that's the case... then why not just go with VIS?

I will more than likely get one.

Just remembered I might have the hookup with VIS through an import shop my car is at right now.

An asian guy from South Central owns it. He gives me extra discounts since I'm from LA :)

If anyone on the East Coast is interested I'll try to get some prices soon.

Denlasoul
11-17-2003, 03:39 PM
If looking into a c/f hood, you should consider the following:
1) Can the hood withstand the pressure of the hydraulics that hold pur hoods in place/upright? Might be a good chance of the hood warping under the pressure if it is poorly made. Also, remember we dont have prop rods to hold up our hoods.
2) how are you going to accomodate your windshield sprayers?
3) I would definitely look into making 100% sure that the hood does not need hood pins. I know for the W203 you dont need them, but nothing that has convinced me 100% it will hold up without the pins. If you are like me, I'd want to be sure the hood will hold at 130+mph.

CKlasse
11-17-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
at 130+mph.

whew... good thing I dont even have to worry about that! :D

jnolte
11-17-2003, 07:44 PM
idk dennis thats a little wreckless;)

e26
11-18-2003, 06:54 AM
If looking into a c/f hood, you should consider the following:
1) Can the hood withstand the pressure of the hydraulics that hold pur hoods in place/upright? Might be a good chance of the hood warping under the pressure if it is poorly made. Also, remember we dont have prop rods to hold up our hoods.
2) how are you going to accomodate your windshield sprayers?
3) I would definitely look into making 100% sure that the hood does not need hood pins. I know for the W203 you dont need them, but nothing that has convinced me 100% it will hold up without the pins. If you are like me, I'd want to be sure the hood will hold at 130+mph.

Very valid points. As I want to update the looks of my 201. I definetly need quality in the product and everything else attatched.

The reason I know this hood fits with slight modification. Seen a couple W201's do with a oem C230 hood and another with a cf hood.

I don't think it would be to hard to steal a couple part from the C an adapt to my needs.

jaysonvaldez
12-06-2003, 08:32 PM
I own one of those hoods actually 2 to be exact (problems with the first one).. theres your advantages and disadvantages. advantages are the hood looks great on the car very evil look.. but many did advantages .. like the torsion rods are very strong you need 2 people to close your hood believe me if your alone and you pop your hood your going to crack it in the middle... I cracked mine the first time I put it on thats why I had to buy another one.. if I were you try to get one custom made.. i ran mine about 110mph with jus the lock without the pull release I dont think that would make a difference and it actually held up but the hood tends to bow from all the turbulence...

e26
12-07-2003, 09:29 AM
I own one of those hoods actually 2 to be exact (problems with the first one).. theres your advantages and disadvantages. advantages are the hood looks great on the car very evil look.. but many did advantages .. like the torsion rods are very strong you need 2 people to close your hood believe me if your alone and you pop your hood your going to crack it in the middle... I cracked mine the first time I put it on thats why I had to buy another one.. if I were you try to get one custom made.. i ran mine about 110mph with jus the lock without the pull release I dont think that would make a difference and it actually held up but the hood tends to bow from all the turbulence...

You have 2 VIS hoods?

Getting a hood custom made is going to be hard.

Some guys over at 190REV found a place in SoCal but need a 202 hood for a mold.

Hopefully someone will be kind to me and let me steal their hood for a day or two when I do this project :p

Thanks for the heads up.

speedybenz
12-08-2003, 11:00 AM
e26,

Try talking to your local Mercedes Wrecker. Often times I find if I go to these guys and I am honest about what I am doing they will work with me.

I have it set up with a local wrecker where I can go pickup parts to mock up mod's. I pay a reasonable fee and then get refunded the cost minus a small restock fee when I return it.

e26
12-08-2003, 06:20 PM
e26,

Try talking to your local Mercedes Wrecker. Often times I find if I go to these guys and I am honest about what I am doing they will work with me.

I have it set up with a local wrecker where I can go pickup parts to mock up mod's. I pay a reasonable fee and then get refunded the cost minus a small restock fee when I return it.

Thanks for the advice. I've never even thought about that :cool: Their's not to many reputable MB Recyclers in my area but definetly worth the try :)

MRP Motorsports
12-30-2003, 09:37 PM
I checked out he VIS hoods at SEMA and I was really impressed. Most CF hoods were in rough trim when I saw them with square unfinished edges. The VIS hoods apeared to be CF with what like a gel coat finish and smooth edges.

Lordkoo
01-03-2004, 06:58 PM
www.seibon.com makes W202 hood.

e26
01-05-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Lordkoo
www.seibon.com makes W202 hood.

Their webpage isn't working for me :(

I checked out he VIS hoods at SEMA and I was really impressed. Most CF hoods were in rough trim when I saw them with square unfinished edges. The VIS hoods apeared to be CF with what like a gel coat finish and smooth edges.

I'm glad to know that they have good quality.

jnolte
01-05-2004, 02:24 PM
I contacted Seibon because i too am looking for a Hi quality CF hood. Here is his reply

Dear James,

Thank you for your interest in the Seibon products. The carbon fiber hood that you were inquiring about for the 1998 Mercedes C-class goes for $608 with out shipping. As for the quality of the hood I would say it surpasses all those grades like A or A+. Hood pins are not required but we do recommend it. If there are any other questions please feel free to e-mail me.

Ryo Inoue

Basically it needs Hood pins and is way more than the VIS. VIS may be the way to go.

speedybenz
01-07-2004, 08:43 PM
Who is going to pull off thier stock hood and weigh it up. I really want to know what it weighs to compare against a VIS CF hood.

Jnolte you game?

Jeff

jnolte
01-07-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by speedybenz
Who is going to pull off thier stock hood and weigh it up. I really want to know what it weighs to compare against a VIS CF hood.

Jnolte you game?

Jeff

Im game but whos gunna weight a VIS hood? Nobody got one? I dont really have anything to weight it on though..... perhaps another member who is more capable, i will find away if i have to but if its easier for someone else then that would be easier

speedybenz
01-08-2004, 11:06 AM
Just use a bathroom scale. Once the hood is off you can just put it on edge on the scale and just balance it slightly with your finger tips.

Jeff

jnolte
01-08-2004, 12:13 PM
Just use a bathroom scale. Once the hood is off you can just put it on edge on the scale and just balance it slightly with your finger tips.

Jeff

OKay it might take me a few days, im kinda busy.

BUt someone weight a Avant garde grille so we can minus that out of the total weight, im not taking mine out, its painted and i will scratch it:(

Klass-C
01-09-2004, 12:26 AM
Funny u all are talking about carbon fiber hoods from VIS. I just bought on there the other day. The hood looks so crazy and so lite, just cant wait to install it. Im just waiting for my rims and body kit all at the same time for install.. The hoodis just sitting in the garage just waiting for it's place on my car...yeh yeh..Well while i was there at VIS I spoke w/ a sales rep there and he had asked me to put up a group buy on a couple MBZ sites so since the subject is up already here i might as well post in classifieds...well if i have enough posts..i think..hhmmm..Well he had said atleast 10 members to be interested, in order to get a group discount..The reg. price is $584 USD but if there is atleast 10 members it wil be discounted consideralby..When i have some time ill take some pics and see if i can weight it out for you guys...About the group buy ill post it up once i get enough posts on this site..

MRP Motorsports
01-09-2004, 04:39 AM
Here is a pic of the carbon fiber on white from VIS.

http://www.mrp-engineering.com/images/240_202_CF_HOOD.jpg

If you are in the Florida area, I'm a dealer for VIS, and get you dicount pricing without having to wait for a group buy. Even with a considerable discount, shipping is going to cost you $75 - $125 dollars state side from VIS. That is, unless you pick it up from a ViS directly or at a local dealer tht carries their MB parts.

speedybenz
01-09-2004, 09:55 AM
So What does the stock W202 hood weigh? And what does the VIS CF hood weigh?

I would like to buy, but I have to know the wieght 1st.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE

Jeff

nokia8860
01-09-2004, 03:05 PM

i notice from the picture above that the car is using hoodpins. I assume this is needed when actually using your car on the road and not at a show?

My concern is will the skin delaminate the underside that the hinges and latches were attached to and go flying around on the freeway without the use of proper hoodpins?

also are the hoods 100% carbon fiber or is it 1 layer CF plus a few layers of mat and fiberglass?

I would seriouly consider to be in on this group buy but I gotta think highway safety as well.

Yes, I have embarked on making plugs and molds :eek:

MRP Motorsports
01-09-2004, 05:58 PM
So What does the stock W202 hood weigh? And what does the VIS CF hood weigh?

I would like to buy, but I have to know the wieght 1st.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE

Jeff

I will get you the weight on Monday. The 201 hood weighs about 60lbs and a fiber glass 201 hood weighs about 19 lbs. The CF should be about 1/2 to 2/3 the weight or fiberglass based on the CF material vs the glass fiber, taking in consideration of the resin and over all thickness.

This is also weight higher up on the car, by reducing will effectively lowering the C.G. Weigh is more of a factor the higher up on the car sice it will be tossed around like a swinging pendulum. Less body roll over the front tire means less weight in components to counter act the weight transfer. i.e. your sway bars work better. You suspension is less stressed under both static and dynamic loads. This means smaller/lighter sway bars and springs work better since the counter acting force is less.

jnolte
01-10-2004, 04:16 PM
What kind of CF hood did Jon Pek have on his W202? He dident have hood pins and it looked really cleaN

Denlasoul
01-10-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
What kind of CF hood did Jon Pek have on his W202? He dident have hood pins and it looked really cleaN

He didnt. It was the OEM laminated with cf-like pattern. I asked him. :D

speedybenz
01-10-2004, 09:50 PM
a CF hood should be stronger that the steel hood it replaces as long as it's designed right. I would not be worried about it flopping up unless the design was very poorly done. Plus mine would be painted to match the car.

But if the stock W202 hood is really 60 lbs and the VIS hood only say 15lbs then I am getting a woodie as MRP is right, that weight is above the center of gravity and in the front of the car. A loss of 40lbs at this location would be noticable.

Jeff

e26
01-10-2004, 10:08 PM
MRP do you know how much an 89' 2.6 hood would weighs?

I wasn't aware their were different materials being used :confused:

I still haven't called my buddy up about a hood :o

Under Pressure
01-10-2004, 10:35 PM
I hadn't read the other posts so pardon me if this has already been discussed but not only are CF hoods yesterday's rice, but your OEM hood is designed to buckle in an accident to prevent harming you, who knows WTF a CF hood will do. Also, many CF hoods need to be pinned down with "racing pins." Finally, you will have to disengage your W202's hood propping system, because it may damage CF hoods.

MRP Motorsports
01-11-2004, 07:01 AM
The OE MB hood is about 60lbs plus the pad weight. There are different pads that can very from about 5 to 20 lbs. The heavier being an aluminized sound deading pad.

MRP Motorsports
01-11-2004, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Under Pressure
I hadn't read the other posts so pardon me if this has already been discussed but not only are CF hoods yesterday's rice, but your OEM hood is designed to buckle in an accident to prevent harming you, who knows WTF a CF hood will do. Also, many CF hoods need to be pinned down with "racing pins." Finally, you will have to disengage your W202's hood propping system, because it may damage CF hoods.

You are right the hood is in the crumple zone. If it were too rigid it could decapitate you if it broke free from the hinges in an accident. CF is has extreme strength to weight ratio but would break apart if it was subject to a sudden impact. Have you ever seen a Formula 1 and GT cars after impact. They break apart, much like crumple zones on a street car. They are rigid and some what brittle. Like glass, harden tool steel, peanut brittle, etc. Metals used in automotive applications are flexible, and absorb energy as it is compressed or reshaped, hence cumple zones where weak points or points of failure are designed in to control the decelleration of impact. This is for more predictability and allows for the metal to deform at a known rate. Carbon fiber would shatter or shear apart in a random manner depending on the reinforcements on the underside of the hood.

jaysonvaldez
01-11-2004, 09:33 AM
I own that vis hood its not all worth the price it actually should be hella alot cheaper than the 300-600 dollars people been getting priced for believe me . no hood pins but made hella poorly ..the thing with VIS is that they produce many molds of kits, they tend to come out shitty when its about the hundreth one... I wish you guys can see this hood in person you'll be surprised..... its a fiberglass hood with a sheet of cf fiber Everything that is fiberglass needs to be prep alot better, you see many lil holes and pits(not very smooth)the hood liner doesnt match at all you need to cut it to make it fit. when a hood is coming from VIS it tends to be like that .... my hood is held up by only the lock.... when the hoods close it tends to bow.. because the pressure of the torsion things to hold your hood up.. you need 2 people to close it... holds very good on the freeway but when you get out of your car the bow is even higher . almost can look in the engine..I really dont recommend this hood ... I rather get a stock one and carbon fiber wrap it......

e26
01-11-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Under Pressure

I don't know about the rice part :p

For some ethusiast their modded cars aren't their everyday drivers.

A hood would the least of my concerns in a accident.

With a hood weighing in at 60lbs I'd hope it would be in the crumple zone :o

speedybenz
01-11-2004, 07:47 PM
I do not care about the looks only that it is lighter. In fact mine would be painted to match the car.

I do want the hood to be able to fit well and not bow under driving loads. If its a little weak you could always add a section or two of addtional CF to strengthen the hood.

Jeff

99amgc43
03-15-2004, 12:30 PM
i have the hood... the fitment isnt that great, took a long time to make the grill fit and the mounting holes and the stock hood latch, I had to sand a lot of parts since the fiberglass if so thick... It is way too light for the shocks, so I had to take both shocks off... it sucks because there is no way to keep the hood up other than sticking a pole or stick to keep it proped... I got the hood for $550 and actually the only mercedes in the bay area here in ca to have it!!!! i get many complements on it and people think it must cost over $1k... here is a pic of it.

http://www.carandmodel.com/albums/autofest20030907-cars/adj.sized.jpg

speedybenz
03-15-2004, 12:44 PM
99amgc43,

Can you repost your pic. It does not show up.

Thanks,

Also how much lighter was the hood?

Jeff

99amgc43
03-15-2004, 01:02 PM
fitment on hood looks good in the pic, but in real life its off
http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0QwAAAPcTAJ9*TITycIaRs35QMJpA!KV1WPj5sZGOtlPLSGz3q ssMFHY3IJrICE756*GWRIm*lY*eoad5vVRrLwd6EpQt!Jwf4BI iNZyqngg/c43.jpg?dc=4675463957919073322

99amgc43
03-15-2004, 01:04 PM
speedy benz, how much does ti cost to install lowering springs? where is the cheapest place to go??? lowest i found was $200 jus for labor!!! also the hood must weigh prolly 30-35 lbs

speedybenz
03-15-2004, 01:12 PM
99amgc43,

I live in Sacto, CA and I went to a local independant to have it done when I had Eibach springs. The stock spring s are real bear to change without the internal spring compressor that MB has.

$200 to change them is about as good a price as I have seen.

Jeff

Brabus
03-15-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by 99amgc43
i have the hood... the fitment isnt that great, took a long time to make the grill fit and the mounting holes and the stock hood latch, I had to sand a lot of parts since the fiberglass if so thick... It is way too light for the shocks, so I had to take both shocks off... it sucks because there is no way to keep the hood up other than sticking a pole or stick to keep it proped... I got the hood for $550 and actually the only mercedes in the bay area here in ca to have it!!!! i get many complements on it and people think it must cost over $1k... here is a pic of it.

http://www.carandmodel.com/albums/autofest20030907-cars/adj.sized.jpg

Oh, we have a couple of members that have seen you around!! Shanta is one and some of us are on BNZSport.com

You should come to one of our gtgs :) Unfortunately though, you're not the only Benz in the Bay with a CF hood. Jon Pek has had one for a while and I just got it off of him and will be installing it soon :) Pic:

http://www.eurosportiff.com/images/wald_c230k%20(33).jpg

99amgc43
03-15-2004, 04:09 PM
ya ive seen his car in many shows, I didnt know he lived in the bay area... hmmmm let me correct myself, i am the only person in alameda/oakland/san leandro/hayward with with a cf hood??? lol

99amgc43
03-15-2004, 04:09 PM
ya ive seen his car in many shows, I didnt know he lived in the bay area... hmmmm let me correct myself, i am the only person in alameda/oakland/san leandro/hayward with with a cf hood??? lol do you know someone selling h&R springs for my car, perhaps used or something and install for a koo price???

e26
03-16-2004, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by 99amgc43
fitment on hood looks good in the pic, but in real life its off

It looks a little off from the pic :(

Denlasoul
03-16-2004, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by Brabus
Jon Pek has had one for a while and I just got it off of him and will be installing it soon :) Pic:

http://www.eurosportiff.com/images/wald_c230k%20(33).jpg

When I asked Jon, he said it was carbon overlay. IS it really c.f?

Brabus
03-17-2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
When I asked Jon, he said it was carbon overlay. IS it really c.f?

It is overlay CF

99amgc43
03-17-2004, 04:51 PM
how much did it cost to do the overlay cf??? thats why his hood is perfect fitment, but i noticed up close he has a black border around the corners... my hood is actually fiberglass and CF... so maybe i am the only benz with a real cf hood in the bay =) lol

la_lakra
03-29-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by MRP Motorsports
Here is a pic of the carbon fiber on white from VIS.

If you are in the Florida area, I'm a dealer for VIS, and get you dicount pricing without having to wait for a group buy. Even with a considerable discount, shipping is going to cost you $75 - $125 dollars state side from VIS. That is, unless you pick it up from a ViS directly or at a local dealer tht carries their MB parts.

wuz up, I'm down in miami n need to get the hood, I mailed you a couple of times without any answer. Please get back to me or post a telephone number where I can reach you.

Regards,

G Padilla

Guillermo_Padilla@hotmail.com