PDA

View Full Version : Okay... After reading through the Repairs Forum...

randy@5280wheel
11-18-2003, 04:05 AM
I have to say I am a little worried about getting into a W202. Based on the threads I've been reading, I notice a trend in problems with auto transmissions, MAS, head gaskets, and electrical issues. What I'm unclear on is if these problems are across the board with all models (C220, C230, C230k, C280 C36, C43)? Or are they more specific to a certain model and year?

I've been checking out some of the '98 - '99 C230 models, as they seem to be the best balance of what I'm looking for in a daily driver. With this in mind, what types of problem issues should I be on the lookout for?

As always, any feedback or input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Randy

nokia8860
11-18-2003, 04:33 AM
Randy:

Please do keep in mind that when you have a section called repairs that most if not all the post will be about something needing replacement. There are owners of 202's out there that have no problem but of course ppl like to talk about distress rather than joy.

Few years back you would consider the 4th generation Golf/Jetta a bad car with people posting about 2nd gear transmission grinding, failing window regulators, etc...

As for your selection of the 230 please do keep in mind in 1998 the 230 did not have the supercharger as that came in 1999. So depending on your ultimate goal with the car this may sway your decision.

randy@5280wheel
11-18-2003, 04:47 AM
Ahhhh... All good points nokia! :D

I guess my worries stem from venturing into the unknown. I don't know what to really expect, and reading about some of these issues has me a little hesitant. Granted... I suppose it's also a matter of luck of the draw... I guess I'm more paranoid than anything :rolleyes:

As for the 98/99 non-K/K issue... Yeah. I'm a little on the fence with that one. I seem to see more instances with the auto trans come up with '98's- Less so with the '99+ models. But... The Kompressor is just one more item to fail down the road, and coming from a forced induction car as it is, I wouldn't mind going naturally aspirated for simplicity sake. So... I figure I should get all the facts on both before making up my mind.

nokia8860
11-18-2003, 09:33 AM
randy: 1997 was the big year that mb drop the ball on the 5 speed. Somewhere in 98 they fixed this. So better to get a 99. Also if you like to play with the +/- shifting get a 00.

If youre looking for NA cars and not wanting the V8 the V6 will work great for you. Plenty of get up and go with the 280.

Also its 5/50k b2b warranty on the cars. So just make sure things fall apart before then :p

A few members here also have 3rd party warranty as well.

sorbo
11-18-2003, 12:06 PM
randy@5280wheel to help with your concern about the supercharge failing, mercedes is accepted to have one of the best superchargers on the market. A friend of mine said he read an artical that saying MB is to supers as Porsche is to turbos. not a bad comparison to have. But like any working part it can fail, it just depends if it is worth it to you. That is the single mort important thing in buying a car, dont get what you dont want.

Denlasoul
11-18-2003, 12:51 PM
Randy:

From what I have gathered, here is some info that may shed more light.

the AT, like Nokia said, started out about 97 when MB introduced the 5sp. I have read about SEVERAL people haing their tranny going out on them. It must be a design thing. I have a 98 and so far my tranny has been good, though I do keep an eye out. I would think a 99 would be a safe bet.

MAS: alot of the MAS failures I have read about has stemmed from the use of an aftermarket air-filter (like K&N) which uses an oil to assist in collecting the dirt. Over time, it seems that the oil has been collecting on the MAS sensor and causing it to not work 100%. Best bet would be to use the OEM airfilters. Personally, I have the K&N's. My car is a little more sluggish than when I first got it, but I cannot say 100% that it is b/c of the filters. I plan on testing the voltage outputs (thanks CKlasse), an then go from there.

Head gaskets seem to be a problem with the 94-96 I6. I replaced one on my old C280. If you were to get an I6, I'd check to see if the gasket has been replaced. I believe it's a design flaw.

Electrical issues: I have only read about some instances about that. I cannot say what causes it and what to look for, but I would think a well maintained car shouldnt have that problem...but then again....:)

I would think a 99+ C280 would be the best buy. It has enough power and it probably has the mentioned flaws already taken care of.

Brabus
11-18-2003, 03:21 PM
Another thing that's common to go bad is the wiring harness. I think this is universal with all models as MB decided to use some biodegradable material for the outer wrapping... I don't know which engineer was smoking crack when that was decided.

Anyways, I think that it's your best bet to go with a 00 model. By then a lot of the problems with the w202 were fixed, or at least more secure.

J Irwan
11-18-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Brabus
Another thing that's common to go bad is the wiring harness. I think this is universal with all models as MB decided to use some biodegradable material for the outer wrapping... I don't know which engineer was smoking crack when that was decided.

Anyways, I think that it's your best bet to go with a 00 model. By then a lot of the problems with the w202 were fixed, or at least more secure.

Regarding MAS,
Based on my observation so far.

whether you put aftermarket or OEM filter they are bound to fail at some points.

I guess MAS is now part of wear and tears.
I had my MAS replace when I have 69 K on the odometer..

Regardz,

BoominVolvo
11-18-2003, 11:50 PM
These problems are not specific to Mercedes Benz vehicles. No auto manufacturer is perfect.

Specifically the MAS, it works by heating a wire and determining how much current is need to keep it a certain temperature. If this wire becomes contaminated at all, it will throw off the measurements. It is very common for MAS meters to go out in almost any car just because of the design. My Volvo is the epitome of reliable cars. (Seriously they go forever), and I have had to replace my MAS twice now in 150k miles. It is a given that wear and tear will require you to replace things.

I hope this makes sense. I'm really tired right now :tired:

jnolte
11-19-2003, 12:07 AM
mas sensors and O2 sensors both parts that need to be changed every i would say around 70k miles.

davis449
11-19-2003, 08:59 AM
Every car has it's problems. I have a 95 C 280 and have had nary a trouble with it. The most drastic was the tranny was replaced about 30K before I owned the car. It was driven by old people before me so who knows what they' might've done to it to cause that. Othere than that, no problems with the engine or anything yet and I'm at 68K.

randy@5280wheel
11-19-2003, 11:39 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies!

My concers, I guess pretty much stem from owning my Audi =) It's not a bad car per se, but it has had it's share of small little nickle and dime problems. I just didn't want to get into the same predicament with my next purchase. I pretty much bought the first A4 I found, so as you can see I really didn't do my homework on that one (shame on me) =)

So... Based on the feedback from everyone here, it seems as though going with a '99 or '00 should be a pretty safe bet. I know not all cars are exempt from having their problems- Heck, I know of people who have had pretty severe issues with cars they've driven off the lot brand new! I just wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting into from the start. So... Thank you everyone for the insight! This has helped me a lot in being able to narrow down my criteria.

Now... Time to begin my search! I hope to be a new W202 owner enthusiast by next February at the latest.

=)

Cheers,

Randy