PDA

View Full Version : egr valve

benzin190
11-19-2003, 08:33 PM
anyone had to replace it? My check engine light came on and they hooked it up diagnostic comp and it says egr. How much and where can i get this part? Dealership (stealership :) says 185 for the part.

BTW What does the egr valve do?? Emissions? Thanks!!

jnolte
11-20-2003, 01:25 AM
sometimes i hear they get clogged with Carbon build up, you can clean it out with like pipe cleaners or something, i am not sure it was in a thread at Mercedesshop forums. maybe you can search there

benzin190
11-20-2003, 07:00 AM
yes i could probably clean it out but that is only a temporary fix, does anyone know where i can get this part?? Besides the stealership i mean. Benzbin doesn't list it, performance products doesn't list it, i've checked most of the mercedes parts that i know and i can't seem to find it. Thanks!

jnolte
11-20-2003, 02:10 PM
basically it gets clogged up again.......

moebiusgold
11-20-2003, 04:48 PM
Let see, previous owners had the EGR valve replaced twice because of low EGR flow (P0411 I think). At stealerships even! After checking out everything else first I finally did the Steve Brotherton fix with the Speedo cable down the tube because I couldn't get the tube off to get to where the clog was. It clogs up in the aluminum part of the intake where the tube bolts up. There is a bolt on the back left corner of the head that I can bairly feel the end of. It took me about 15 minutes just to get the cable to punch through the carbon. I joined this club specifically because of leads I got out of repairs that helped me fix this problem.
So the valve may be carboned up (obviously vac. check it) but I bet the problem is at the other end.

moebiusgold
11-20-2003, 04:50 PM
I am making huge assumptions that such a thing exists on your 4 banger. My point is that you can get EGR related error codes but the valve may be fine.

moebiusgold
11-20-2003, 07:12 PM
This is the link that I was refering to:

http://www.continentalimports.com/ser_ic20134.html

You St. 6 owners (M104) should read the bottom.:)

benzin190
11-22-2003, 12:16 PM
thanks man, i don't think i'll have it replaced now. Does anyone have any better pics of the location of the EGR valve or the figures from that web link. Thanks a lot guys!

Delta36
09-29-2005, 01:42 PM
Did you ever replace the valve. I have the same problem on my C36. Engine light comes on every 4 or 5 months...I just have it turned off