PDA

View Full Version : mp3 cd changer with factory headunit

benzdude
11-20-2003, 07:33 AM
I have a 95 c280 with the factory headunit and cd changer.

Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket mp3 cd changer that will work with the original radio and wiring?

if you do can you provide model numbers and parts required?

thanks.

davis449
11-20-2003, 08:39 AM
I don't think that's possible cause there's no programming in the factory deck to handle ID3 tags on MP3's. But then again, I could be wrong.

J Irwan
11-20-2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by benzdude
I have a 95 c280 with the factory headunit and cd changer.

Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket mp3 cd changer that will work with the original radio and wiring?

if you do can you provide model numbers and parts required?

thanks.

yes it is possible

however it will not be the factory headunit that control the CD changer, you will have to use separate control.

This system will utilize what we called "FM Modulator"
Basically when you swicthed the factory to "radio" mode and then turn on the "CD changer controller" then you can listen to your CD changer...

PS: The FM modulator (that converts the CD audio into FM) is built into the chassis so there's one less thing to install.

There are a lot CD changer brand out there that can play MP3.. ;)

Regardz,

benzdude280
11-20-2003, 04:53 PM
If you use the FM modulator, the sound sucks. Up to you though. I would buy an MP3 player and hook it up using the RCA jacks.

davis449
11-20-2003, 06:07 PM
FM modulation sound quality is why I didn't mention it as an option.

J Irwan
11-20-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by davis449
FM modulation sound quality is why I didn't mention it as an option.

In my opinion if you not planning to upgrade into serious ICE, and only looking for CD changer capability with stock sound system, then FM modulator CD changer is the option..

but if you're into ICE/Car Audio Enthusiast obviously you wouldn't be sticking with stock radio :p

Basically with the stock system, and if you're not audiphile-head I don't think you're can hear the different..

but if you're thinking or at least have plan to do some more ICE upgrade (i.e component speaker, separate amps, active x-over, subwoofer) in the future then I'd buy aftermarket headunit...

You'd be amazed on how suck is MB OEM headunit sound after you listened to aftermarket ones ;)

Regardz,

jnolte
11-20-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by J Irwan
You'd be amazed on how suck is MB OEM headunit sound after you listened to aftermarket ones ;)

:werd: