PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever bought "Mercedes-Benz" illuminated sills from formymercedes.com

benzdude
11-20-2003, 08:52 AM
has anyone ever bought "Mercedes-Benz" illuminated sills from formymercedes.com? do you have any pics? Are they good quality? do the front sills completely cover the oem sill? I've seen some pics where they don't, like on autorice.

are they like these?

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QgDdAkcTu3cnALb6ZfHZ64wuxFlgkoq142Gm7lf0S8xe9l27k zfmq0tYNk5IEeYKsCSeulHY1Cbw9IIR27zDCDneP2K23OeKxyn tpmfdCis

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QgDjAj8T9HUnALb6ZfHZ6zhpSFQKzD19K*9xMJnLJitF!FI8O fAc!f4lqOOo8Lcm7kFIB5fHK3qECuiG82hxBqoXbjcMP!5jPRt zxD5KpYE/Image010.jpg?dc=4675426355752963420

Black 1994 C280
11-20-2003, 09:49 AM
They're cheaper on eBay.

benzdude
11-20-2003, 10:35 AM
thats where he is selling them.

JDoggery
11-20-2003, 11:10 AM
do the connectors match mb, or are they different like autorice and other ebay ones

-pictures of anyone who bought them from here would help

benzdude
11-20-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by JDoggery
do the connectors match mb, or are they different like autorice and other ebay ones

-pictures of anyone who bought them from here would help

j where did you get your sills? are the fronts shaped like in the pic?

benzdude
11-20-2003, 11:47 AM
sorry I missed the "upcoming mods" part

JDoggery
11-20-2003, 11:55 AM
I have a set of sills, but they are not installed yet because the connectors that are on them are smaller than what mb has. I would have to cut/ splice them to install, and I am not too happy about cutting up my cars wiring. They look exactly like the ones in the picture except they say Brabus. All four doors light up. They are from autorice.

SLK Boy
11-20-2003, 01:25 PM
I have bought things from Jerry @ formymercedes before (as long as it's the same guy that owns the website)...he's a great guy to deal with...haven't had experience with those door sills though...

jnolte
11-20-2003, 01:55 PM
DONT MESS WITH AUTORICE you are gunna be disapointed hes a stoopid ass

J Irwan
11-20-2003, 03:50 PM
I have a set of sills, but they are not installed yet because the connectors that are on them are smaller than what mb has. I would have to cut/ splice them to install, and I am not too happy about cutting up my cars wiring. They look exactly like the ones in the picture except they say Brabus. All four doors light up. They are from autorice.

what do you mean the connector doesn't match with MB connector..?
are we talking about W202 and SLK R170 here..?

As far as I know this accessories was an after thought, meaning it was never designed to be an accessory in the first place at the time they design the car, therefore in MB Factory harness there is no extra connector to connect to this.

Even if you buy MB OEM illumination door sill (available in only in "Mercedes Benz" script) you still need to splice wires or connect the wires at the door sensor via a screw..

anyway you put it , it's not going to be plug and play, hence wire-splicing will be necessary.. !! :)

The newer car might come prewired and will be ready for plug and play but I am not sure.

So far I have seen G500 and G55, S 600(W220), SL silver arrow edition (if I remember correclty) came with illumination door sill at the dealer.
These newer cars might be prewired from the factory.

Regardz,

JDoggery
11-20-2003, 04:33 PM
The person I spoke with at my local shop showed me where he would connect them at the door sensor, and mentioned that oem ones connect in. He may be wrong, I don't know. According to what you guys are talking about wire splicing is needed to install these aftermarket ones. If that is the case I would want someone who knows what they are doing to install them. Ideas?

JRE320
11-20-2003, 05:03 PM
They're after market so there's 2 wires that came with.
Red "+" black "-" all you got to do is grab the red tapped it to any wire except brown color wire. Then ran the black wire to the doom
light and you're done. ;) :cool: :)

Renn 208
11-21-2003, 07:52 AM
C'mon guys, you can be more creative than that. No wires need to be cut to install the sills. It may take a little more effort, but just think about the problem a little bit.

No ghetto modding! no cutting! haha. Good luck! and if y'all can't figure it out, I'll post up later with a solution.

J Irwan
11-21-2003, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Renn 208
C'mon guys, you can be more creative than that. No wires need to be cut to install the sills. It may take a little more effort, but just think about the problem a little bit.

No ghetto modding! no cutting! haha. Good luck! and if y'all can't figure it out, I'll post up later with a solution.

no cut necessarry ...I should edit my post. :D:D :p

but wiring spicing maybe necessary,and and like I mention you could also connect the wire at door sensor via scew ;)

Regardz,

josh k
11-22-2003, 08:07 AM
I've bought sills from ForMyMercedes.com I, too have heard bad things about autorice, but Jerry at FMM has always been helpful and stands by his products. In my case the sills completely cover the OEM ones and wiring isn't very difficult. BTW, make sure you ground it to the door pin as most people have said and NOT the dome light. If you ground it to the dome light, opening one door will cause all the sills to turn on as opposed to just the door that's open.

JDoggery
05-29-2004, 03:31 PM
Can those that have done this post pictures of what they did.

Renn 208
05-29-2004, 04:46 PM
Can those that have done this post pictures of what they did.

Sadly, I didn't take pictures of the process. But if I open up my door and sill again, I'll be sure to take pictures. And like I said, no cutting or splicing of factory wiring was done to get my sills working.

With Scorchie's infinite help, I created my own customized door sills from the aftermarket-type sills.

1. Purchase spare set of stock clk sills (not necessary, but I did not want to cut up the sills that came with my car as they would be about $300 to replace)

2. remove polycarbonate window from EL sill

3. create sticker to replace the "Mercedes Benz" that was originally on the EL Sill, and place on the polycarb window

4. relplace poly carb window and neatly mount up EL strip

5. drill hole in center of stock sill to run EL power wire out of sight.

6. Use double sided tape to stick on EL sill to Stock door sill.

7. Make wiring harness using blade connectors and some length of wire to connect to the puddle light in door, and to power up the door sills.

8. open up the door card and run wiring from puddle light through the door joint and into the wiring gutter and connect to sill

9. Snap on door sill after neatly tying up wires.

Viola...custom EL door sills. This method may take more work than just spicing into gutter wiring or tapping the door pin, but like I said, I like the fact that I didn't have to sacrifice any stock wiring to get it done. Sure no one can see all this extra work, but hey at least I know it was done properly.

Renn 208
05-29-2004, 04:49 PM
http://www.bnzsport.com/forums/uploads/photo-20.jpg

moebiusgold
05-29-2004, 05:23 PM
Taking the extra work so that things could be returned 100% back to stock and the awsome looking "Renn 208" once again qualify you as full fledged fanatic. And I still haven't recovered from the envy of your vacation.:D

JDoggery
05-30-2004, 08:02 PM
Looks awesome. Thanks for the input. Numbers 7 and 8 would be the ones that I would would need further info if you can. I don't have any experience in this area. Also, where are you located?

Kswiss
05-31-2004, 03:31 AM
You said it directly fits over the oem sill. I oem sill were 2 black strips running across the door. I have illuminated door sills installed on my car, but its not a DIRECT fit. The sills were a little larger so when its installed, the edge of the sill hangs over a little bit in the interior. At formymercedes.com , are the sills EXACTLY a DIRECT fit? everything is flush?

Renn 208
05-31-2004, 02:10 PM
I have not seen an aftermarket sill that is a "perfect" fit, as there is a bit of an overhang, however holler if you run into one that does exist.

To expand on 7: On the puddle light end, the light plugs into the power with blade connectors, I have simply Y-d into the circuit between the puddle light plugs and the stock wires:

These pictures should make things clear:

http://www.jrentech.net/benz/CRW_2019_resize.jpg

and just a little closer:
http://www.jrentech.net/benz/CRW_2021_resize.jpg

As for 8, that's vehicle specific, and I'm sure that you can find the instructions on the forum with the search function. (I have a 208, so I'll spare everyone from the details)

Good luck!

autorice
07-27-2004, 09:24 PM
sill installation is different for almost every model. generally easier on C's and E's. S's are a biznatch to install.

I installed it on a W140 basically all four will turn on when lights are on, it's hard to configure them correctly on S-Class's.

Ashkan's C280
01-03-2005, 03:33 PM
old thread yes, but does anyone have part numbers for oem sills, I saw part numbers on another thread but they were not correct, I know for a fact that the rear can have el door sills, I just need all the oem numbers to pick up a set....

Renn 208
01-03-2005, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Ashkan's C280
old thread yes, but does anyone have part numbers for oem sills, I saw part numbers on another thread but they were not correct, I know for a fact that the rear can have el door sills, I just need all the oem numbers to pick up a set....

sure you can have el door sills, but they will not be original mercedes parts. The only mercedes part numbers you will find will be for non-el sills.

Ashkan's C280
01-03-2005, 06:31 PM
the part number for the illuminating doo sill covers is:
B 6 6 89 00 09
B 6 6 89 00 10

I dont know why there are 2 different part numbers.. I have 2 kits both containing the same parts:
2 Front door sill cover with mercedes benz that will light up.
2 Rear chrome door sill cover (no illumination)
1 Wiring harness
1 Instruction manual
so I dont understand why there are 2 different aprt numbers.. maybe 2 different kits.. one for the model updated and 1 for earlier W202's??

you will still need to purchase the actual light up part seperatly from this sill/wire harness kit.

* this was made by slammed c and I don't know if these numbers pan out, further more, if it is only front el, I would rather have the most OEM as I can, I really am not fond of putting anything that is not oem in my car, I bought clear corners from bekkers and grill from formymercedes, and I am still mad I didn't go to the dealer and get it there, granted I saved money, but damnit, I want OEM

Renn 208
01-03-2005, 07:23 PM
those part numbers look legitish...but if you're going to get anything in the B6 XXX XXXX part range it's going to come either straight from affalterbach, or some one who got it straight from affalterbach. BTW can you post pictures of the sills you have on hand?

It's going to be a long shot trying to get it from a local dealer. If you do find someone who can supply parts in that range, please let us all know.

And for the ultimate prize...if you can get me one of these:

B6 695 3813

I will bow down to you and give you mad props. No it's not expensive...just a bia bia to track down.

Ashkan's C280
01-03-2005, 08:49 PM
I'm sure tom can do something about it, I mean unless you have already called him, I could also go by laguna nigel mercedes dealership, they are known for being a top mercedes dealership, I'll give Tom a call tomorrow, I was thinking about ordering the r170 cd player from him, maybe he has this stuff too, if you guyshave a part number on the euro xenon lights, that would also be a big help, I really want those, I have some money to blow and looking to get some cheap mods done out of the way, I went through my friend on his "connect" for shocks and springs, also have on order igk ird plugs and mag wires, I need to pick up some number one pads if yous have number for those? I was thinking door sills and maybe something else I mean I am looking to spend around 400 usd for some mods besides the stuff listed already, Door sills and i suppose chrome boot, unless anyone has better ideas on parts, I really wanted the heated washer fluid mod, but have no idea how to install that stuff, I also was thinking aux trunk lock, but for 270 usd I'd pass for now, I wanted to get command instead of euro single deck, but living on campus I will most likely get jacked, I have seen plenty of kitted out civs and new C's broken into and just keyed, so if you guys have other mods I could do let me know, I was thinking puddle lights, but not sure if you can have door sills and puddle lights, I would like the puddle light on the rear of the front seat like steve has, that would cool, or light inside center armrest, I can't really wire shit up, but if anyone wants to help, I'd be more than happy bring all the parts and take you out for a nice lunch afterwards if someone wants to install any of this stuff for me....

Ashkan's C280
01-03-2005, 08:58 PM
also as for the part number given by slammed c, is that for rear also? I don't need rear if its not el, I would only want fron, and what is the item of the part number you listed for, what is it?

Ashkan's C280
02-08-2005, 01:49 PM
well b6 698 3813 is not in us part data base, its a german part only so being dtm you should be able to get it, and by the way, what is this part?