PDA

View Full Version : 36's stock 268hp and 276hp what was the exact...

Eurosport
11-21-2003, 02:07 AM
what was the exact thing that was done to the 97 c36 to have 8 more hp stock?
i don't know if this has been asked before but curious to what was the exact thing they've done

jnolte
11-21-2003, 03:04 AM
I think it was the 5spd tranny with diffrent gear ratios!!!!

its also faster

1995 and 1996 c36 0-60 in 6.4

1997 c36 0-60 in 5.9

:o damn im tired its 4:05 AM Graveyard shift

:o :p :eek: :bored:

J Irwan
11-21-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by jnolte
I think it was the 5spd tranny with diffrent gear ratios!!!!

its also faster

1995 and 1996 c36 0-60 in 6.4

1997 c36 0-60 in 5.9

:o damn im tired its 4:05 AM Graveyard shift

:o :p :eek: :bored:

dude trannmission and gear ratior will not affect HP at crank..

modification to drive train such higher gear ratio will only increase your hp at rear wheel ... (but the main idea of engine hp at crank will remain the same.)

Eurosport, I am not sure myself what did AMG do differently...

Regardz,

2phast
11-21-2003, 09:19 AM
Agree, the trans and gear ratios have nothing to do with it.

As I understand it, the 1997 C36 has more agressive cams, that is all.

Eurosport
11-21-2003, 10:02 AM
must be the cams then
as far as the euro versions that have 280hp at crank
i'm guessing has to do with exhaust not ecu programming

J Irwan
11-21-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Eurosport
must be the cams then
as far as the euro versions that have 280hp at crank
i'm guessing has to do with exhaust not ecu programming

the way I understand it, the Euro has 280 hp vs US 276 hp is because of the unit measurement different..

Regardz,

Denlasoul
11-21-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by J Irwan
the way I understand it, the Euro has 280 hp vs US 276 hp is because of the unit measurement different..

Regardz,

Also, the cats are more restrictive for the US. That could make up the 8hp difference.

I would think more aggressive cams would result in more than 8hp.

J Irwan
11-21-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
Also, the cats are more restrictive for the US. That could make up the 8hp difference.

I would think more aggressive cams would result in more than 8hp.

I am not sure if that is the case

you could check for yourself

as earlier C36 in Euro rated 272hp vs US 268hp

same applies all C43 Euro rated 306hp vs US 302hp ;)

Keep mind all my Euro catalog always listed power rating in Kw (kilowatt) and NM for torque...

I think the conversion mutilplier (to convert Kw --> hp) Euro use and US are different , that's why I said the Unit measurement differences. ;)

Regardz

Denlasoul
11-21-2003, 10:39 AM
Damn Euros. LOL ;)

Eurosport
11-21-2003, 11:58 AM
lol
good point on the conversion, almost all euro cars for the us have lower spec hp than over there, but i don't think it can be it since all car magazines always show the difference in us and euro spec
it's gotta be the cat restriction

Eurosport
11-21-2003, 12:32 PM
here's a cool review lol
With Mercedes indiscriminately slapping AMG badges throughout its lineup these days, it's easy to forget that these factory hot rods once personified the term Q-ship.

The precursor to the present plethora of AMG-badged Mercedes is this issue's sample: the C36.

The C Class-based C36 was the first corporate offspring of the Teutonic marriage between the Mercedes head office and their long-affiliated racing partner AMG. No longer independent, and certainly no longer exclusive, AMG, a DaimlerChrysler AG subsidiary since 1999, pooped out 18,500 vehicles in 2001. Miami Vice fans will recognize AMG cars as the choice for '80s south Florida pimps. Remember when a white, monochromatic S Class was it? (I do! - Ed.)

Regarded by Mercedes fans as one of the last "true" Mercedes, you know, when Mercedes were Mercedes and the sheep were nervous, the chiseled-from-granite Bruno Sacco-designed C36 eschews the current Pontiac-inspired look of today's Benz lineup. Visual mods to the base C Class were restrained in true Q-ship fashion. The lowered suspension and low profile tires on 17-inch "monoblock" wheels embodied a meaner stance, and the discreet lower-body spoilers were there for improved high-speed stability, not looks.

And what about that "high speed"?

Heh, heh, those wacky kids at AMG crammed an inherently smooth hand-built, 3.6-liter straight-six engine under the three-pointed-star-badged hood, with 276-hp providing assistance in getting the C36 to 60 mph in 6.2 seconds. The standard German gentlemen's agreement limiting top speed to 155-mph holds true here, also. Seemingly inspired from '60s American muscle cars, AMG's approach to ride and handling was to tighten the suspension to within an inch of its life. Dentists love the C36 too. Not to own, but from the patients they get with loose fillings caused from the taut ride.

The interior was what we all think a Mercedes interior was, plus firm and deeply contoured sport bucket seats, covered in perforated leather. The only jarring bits were the AMG-added light gray accents to the small, thick steering wheel and around the instruments. Definitely a hangover from the Miami Vice days.

Despite being an automatic, the five-speed transmission was okay. It recognized whether you were out for bagels, or out for BMWs, and shifted accordingly. For those concerned with their rears - both flesh and metal - a winter package consisting of traction control, heated seats and headlamp washers was a $2,000 option.

Inevitably, you had to run the C36 against its natural rival from Bavaria, the M3 Sedan. The slushbox, unrefined ride and handling, and the additional $10,000 asking price prevented the C36 from outgunning the M3. However, it eats up the road in true German fashion, and with only 700 examples in North America, and the inherent Q-ship qualities of any C Class, we would recommend the C36 for the shy and shiftless.

kameraguy
11-21-2003, 04:07 PM
Euro, where was that review taken from? Never read that one before. Were there photos as well?

One of the more entertaining of the rare C36 reviews IMHO.

walden
11-21-2003, 04:52 PM
i have an article on my other harddrive where C&D compared:

1995 Mercedes C36
1995 BMW 540i sport 6 spd
Volvo 5TR turbo
and i think an jag (who cares 'bout jag? :) )

in this review, i believe by Car & Driver back in 1995, said the C36 did 0-60 in 5.8 sec and the 6 speed 540i in 5.7 sec.

i get so many different stats....wonder which one is right...

Eurosport
11-21-2003, 05:06 PM
http://www.straight-six.com/q-ship/qship_14.html

that article has some great lines lol
and us as 202 guys all we gotta say to the new "amg's" is

No longer independent, and certainly no longer exclusive, AMG, a DaimlerChrysler AG subsidiary since 1999, pooped out 18,500 vehicles in 2001.

:D

a lot of people still think amg cars are very exclusive :D

kameraguy
11-21-2003, 05:51 PM
Cool website! I'm checking it out now.

nokia8860
11-21-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Eurosport
However, it eats up the road in true German fashion, and with only 700 examples in North America.

That article needs a re-write to 699 thanks to mr nolte :p

I kid, I only kid.

Eurosport
11-21-2003, 11:07 PM
lol

i love the reviews on that site lol
"ANTI-SUVS
For the 95% of the time that most SUVs spend slogging through city traffic jams, or whisking down the highway, a spacious wagon beats most of the Explorers and Escalades out there. You'll lose the fear of tipping over in turns and still fetch the bags of fertilizer from Home Depot. Trust us."

2phast
11-22-2003, 05:55 PM
The article is accurate but it should be specific when stating the "first joint venture between AMG and Mercedes FOR THE USA" That is, the C36 was the first joint effort between AMG and Mercedes for the USA, the very first joint venture between AMG and Mercedes was the 190E 3.2l vehicle, which could be purchased through the MB dealers in the UK beginning in the 1991 model year.

moebiusgold
11-22-2003, 06:53 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by J Irwan
[B]the way I understand it, the Euro has 280 hp vs US 276 hp is because of the unit measurement different..

J Irwan is refering to the differences bewtween SAE and DIN measurment. The difference used to be how many engine accesories were actually being run. At one point I think DIN didn't even include a water pump. It has changed since the last time I saw a printed copy ( I worked for GM for a while - I also had the only MOPAR in a parking lot of thousands of cars!). I thought that I saw an article in Autoweek or something about the '96 C36 and they mentioned that there were some differences in Engine hardware - smog stuff I think. I never thought that I could be possibly owning one in the future.;) :) :)

Fantasmweb
11-22-2003, 10:52 PM
but still no answer for 1995-6 268hp and 1997 276hp .....:(

Brabus
11-26-2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by nokia8860
That article needs a re-write to 699 thanks to mr nolte :p

I kid, I only kid.
Hahahah :) But I chopped one up too!