PDA

View Full Version : How to change front brake pads.....

JRE320
11-23-2003, 09:18 PM
Here I'm again asking your help. Can anyone show me how to change the front brake pads of my C280 95? :confused: :dead:
I asked this question over at MBworld and it became a flaming tread, LOL!!! TP against Henry47.

jnolte
11-23-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by JRE320
I asked this question over at MBworld and it became a flaming tread, LOL!!! TP against Henry47.

LOL! i saw that, this is y i try not posting on mbworld you wont get anything too informative back:D

Eurosport
11-23-2003, 10:00 PM
i don't know how your brakes look like
but should be very close to this
http://www.mercedesshop.com/e_class_brakejob.htm

i have changed rotors and pads on a 210, it was cake
just make sure you have 2 french wrenches to compress the brake pistons makes it lot easier

lemme know if that doesn't help
i'll try to explain with my words

Recaro18
11-24-2003, 07:24 AM
Jun..i'll try to help you....i need to change mine too...we can do it together...its pretty easy.....let me know when you have time....give me a call....

CKlasse
11-24-2003, 07:30 AM
You'll need...
Metric sockets
c clamp
and a hanger/wire

If this is your first time, take off both front wheels, but start to work on one side a time. Use the other side as a cheater!

1. Take off the wheels
2. follow your caliper to the back of the wheel hub. You'll note two metric bolts. Unbolt these to release the caliper.
3. Once the caliper is released the pads should be loose. Ply them out if you must. Remember to unplug the 'brake sensor.'
4. Once off, inspect the caliper. The piston, seals, brake sensor, and so on. If you use brake cleaner, do not spray it at the rubber seals. (Do not let the caliper hang on the brake line. Use a hanger or wire instead!)
5. Go to your master cylinder and uncap your brake fluid reservoir.
6. Use the C-CLAMP to push the piston back into the caliper, so you can fit the new pads. Remember to re-plug the brake sensor, then install the new pads.
7. Slide the caliper back onto the disc and bolt it down!
8. Do the other side
9. Cap the brake fluid reservoir
10. Key on (dont start), feel your brake pedal 'til the power brake is back on, and test the brake.
11. Go around the block, and test the brake further. For the first few miles, do not slam on the brake etc.

It was 6 mo ago when I did the brake on the C. It's pretty much like any other car. Have fun!

JRE320
11-24-2003, 11:26 AM
Look's pretty easy. I think I can do it without any problem. Thank you guys for all the input. What can I do without you guys..... ;) :cool:

And Ricky yes come on over on Saturday morning and we can do it at same time.
Do you like the steering wheel I left at AutoPlus? :cool:

Recaro18
11-24-2003, 12:06 PM
i haven't dropped by autoplus just yet...i'll see if i have time today to check it out..

i'll see if i can come by your place on saturday, i still have to get my parts...:D

JRE320
11-24-2003, 03:59 PM
O'k let me know... ;)

MBATF
11-26-2003, 09:23 PM
Jun!, do u need help with changing teh pads? i might able to come down pay u a visit! what day?!

JRE320
11-26-2003, 10:46 PM
Nah... don't bother but thanks a lot. ;) :)

JRE320
11-30-2003, 10:58 PM
Damn! I broke the sensor on one of the pads.... :( now I got to buy new one... :(

Eurosport
12-01-2003, 06:47 AM
i think they are the same for all pads
they look pretty standard
between 1 and 2 bucks each :(

C280 JR
12-01-2003, 08:55 AM
changing pads is easy, i just changed my rotors and pads with my friend..

ELvir

tpliquid
07-18-2005, 03:44 PM
yes we try to keep people off that fourm. that fourm sux anyways. so we like to give out non informative posts

alboogiee
07-18-2005, 06:39 PM
do you need to "bleed" the brakes when you change pads? actualy what is "bleeding" the brakes? i can figure out how to swap out pads but i get discouraged when i hear about bleeding brakes... wtf!!

i hate blood!!:D

jnenad16
07-18-2005, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by alboogiee
do you need to "bleed" the brakes when you change pads? actualy what is "bleeding" the brakes? i can figure out how to swap out pads but i get discouraged when i hear about bleeding brakes... wtf!!

i hate blood!!:D
you dont need to bleed the brakes after the pad/rotor replacement. the only times you need to bleed brakes are after fluid replacement or if your brake pedal has a spongy or bubbly feeling to it.

nenad

unHookt
08-05-2005, 09:05 AM
bleeding takes air out of the system to ensure that hydraulic pressure is consistent and so that stepping on the pedal means the brakes get applied properly. o/w you might need to hit the brakes while sliding around a 15 mph turn on hwy 46 and suddenly find out you're f*cked.

alboogiee
08-05-2005, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by unHookt
bleeding takes air out of the system to ensure that hydraulic pressure is consistent and so that stepping on the pedal means the brakes get applied properly. o/w you might need to hit the brakes while sliding around a 15 mph turn on hwy 46 and suddenly find out you're f*cked.

or just not braking at all! *cough *cough

thanks for the info!