PDA

View Full Version : What is fair price?

jnolte
11-24-2003, 08:57 PM
Hey guys

There was this guy on Bnzsport.com and he was selling a 1998 Black C43. His name is Faizal idk if any one knows him. But any ways its black with 2 tone leather. It has a Salvage title, i guess someone stole the car and blew up the engine. So now it has a new RennTech short block and new AMG componets and runs fine. It has 38k on the body and 15 k on the engine. I dident know what to offer him,he said its worth like 20k is this true?

thanks in advance

regards

Jnolte

JRE320
11-24-2003, 09:19 PM
No!! It's bullshit!!! It a salvage title for crying out loud. Forget it and look some where else. ;) :)

Eurosport
11-24-2003, 09:19 PM
i wouldn't pay more than 14k for it
resale value if you were to sell it would be gay
also, with the current economy, such low interest rates, people that finance a car go for new cars, tough to sell used cars
another thing to keep in mind is, no bank will ever finance salvage title, only rare credit unions so again hits resale, plus people are afraid of buying salvage and they have a right to be, most of the times not everything is revealed, unless you inspect it yourself and know what to look for :)

jnolte
11-24-2003, 09:20 PM
the guys name is MOFLO on bnzsport.com does anybody personally know this guy?

Denlasoul
11-24-2003, 09:21 PM
I would never buy a salvage title....especially if it were an AMG.

jnolte
11-24-2003, 09:23 PM
Well i dont really car about the title, i just want a car that runs good. And if its fine mechanicaly then its all good with me. Im just gonna modd the hell outta this next w202 i get anyways!

Eurosport
11-24-2003, 09:26 PM
you do understand there's a lot more to a car than mechanical
it can have a brand new engine but if it was a front hit and frame damaged, you slam on the breaks and it'll pull to one side and you'll end up in the ditch

jnolte
11-24-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Eurosport
you do understand there's a lot more to a car than mechanical
it can have a brand new engine but if it was a front hit and frame damaged, you slam on the breaks and it'll pull to one side and you'll end up in the ditch

LOL that wouldent be good! but thats y u get it checkd out and stuffs.... anybody know this MOFLO character on bnzsport.com?

J Irwan
11-24-2003, 10:14 PM
i wouldn't pay more than 14k for it
resale value if you were to sell it would be gay
also, with the current economy, such low interest rates, people that finance a car go for new cars, tough to sell used cars
another thing to keep in mind is, no bank will ever finance salvage title, only rare credit unions so again hits resale, plus people are afraid of buying salvage and they have a right to be, most of the times not everything is revealed, unless you inspect it yourself and know what to look for :)

Yupe personally

I'd never buy a salvage title..

Regardz,

jnolte
11-24-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by J Irwan
Yupe personally

I'd never buy a salvage title..

Regardz,

J I, do you know a MOFLO from bnzsport? And do you think its worth 14k also?

Eurosport
11-24-2003, 10:21 PM
if you think it's worth 14k
don't give him more than 10k ;)

jnolte
11-24-2003, 10:24 PM
if you think it's worth 14k
don't give him more than 10k ;)

Well im not trying to lowball him and piss him off, if the car is mechanically and frame straight it would be a great buy. I would keep it for ever and just modd it to hell. What is a RennTech short block? Is it better than the AMG block? he wants 20k oviously too much but i would pay 13k or 14 k

Eurosport
11-24-2003, 10:30 PM
who cares about offering him something really low, he should expect that, it's called negotiation, he did put it up for sale so you can make any offer you please, never offer high right off the bat
just 2 pennies

jnolte
11-24-2003, 10:31 PM
who cares about offering him something really low, he should expect that, it's called negotiation, he did put it up for sale so you can make any offer you please, never offer high right off the bat
just 2 pennies

yeah but i dont see how he thinks its worth 20k damn thats alot

J Irwan
11-24-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
J I, do you know a MOFLO from bnzsport? And do you think its worth 14k also?

well put it this way, regardless how much you can get the for ..

unless maybe you can get a 1998 C43 for $9000 then I'd blindly close my eyes and close the deal otherwise look for other cars..

By any mean its not that I am suggesting you it's only worth $9000

What I am saying is unless you never plan on selling it, a.k.a drive it like 200.000 miles like MBenzNL did to his C250D then don't buy a salvage title car..

by the time you'd try to sell the car, people will be lowballing you...

Especially if this is an AMG, most people just trying to stay away just because it has "salvaged" title.

(If it is regular C you might have better chance selling it later with "salvaged" title, since it will be just a regular commuter car or something, but how many % of buyer that are in the market for AMG, and how percentages of those would likely to buy an AMG with "salvaged" title.)

To my knowledge there no aftermarket company that would cover warranty.

Initially it might seems to be a good deal for you, but when it start having a lot problem it will become a nightmare for you, because everywhere you turn, people will be trying to make "salvaged" excuses... (that's my $0.02 anyway :) )

Just take your time and shop around.
Also if you find one that is not local, but in good condition and price, maybe you oughta fly and check it out yourself.

Don't buy car because it's close (unless the condition checks out and everything)

Regardz,

jnolte
11-24-2003, 10:56 PM
thanks for the info everyone!

Luwin1026
11-25-2003, 09:12 AM
jnolte - you have email

jnolte
11-25-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Luwin1026
jnolte - you have email

Thanks for the heads up Lu:D

11-25-2003, 01:54 PM
different standards for different folks

....I would never touch a salvaged title car or motorcycle as a matter of safety (I enjoy very enthusiastic use not to mentinon also that my standards are too high):)

I've observed as a matter of curiousity several salvaged MBs: 500e, R129 SL500's, CLK 55 Cabrio, W124 Cabrio, E55's, and other European high line cars, various motocycles.... you can always tell something isn't kosher about the machine- - including that it falls short of factory spec. on many levels.

I had a friend crack himself up quite badly on a rebuilt Super Bike that was put together after an accident (non-salvaged title)- -looked better than new and rode OK within lawful speed limits. Upon a higher speed run, the bike danced a violent and uncontrolable speed wobble at 140mph and continued on deceleration...tapping the brakes did not solve the wobble- - only crashing stopped the wobble.

fwiw

sorbo
11-25-2003, 05:50 PM
buying a salvage title is the wannabe Russian mobbster thing to.(Don't get it messed up I have nothing against Russians) if a title is poor or rebuilt it's bad news, you might get hit and the car splits in half or with a rebuilt title you could find a kilo of meth in some radom compartment, both have happened.

jnolte
11-25-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by sorbo
buying a salvage title is the wannabe Russian mobbster thing to.(Don't get it messed up I have nothing against Russians) if a title is poor or rebuilt it's bad news, you might get hit and the car splits in half or with a rebuilt title you could find a kilo of meth in some radom compartment, both have happened.

ahh, my russian freinds do do that lol. But theres nothing wrong with finding drugs in the car, it just give you more money!

moebiusgold
11-25-2003, 06:42 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 5.52
[B]different standards for different folks

....I would never touch a salvaged title car or motorcycle as a matter of safety (I enjoy very enthusiastic use not to mentinon also that my standards are too high):)

Very well put. After looking for months, I lowered my standards a notch. I will allways regret that. It was properly fixable. :( but took $2000 more than I estimated to get it there. Its hard to say "its only money":rolleyes: .

MBenzNL
11-29-2003, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by jnolte
do you know a MOFLO from bnzsport?
I know him...I installed a comand in his E430 a while ago...

greetingz,