PDA

View Full Version : C32 front brakes on a W202?

SLK Boy
02-20-2003, 08:00 AM
Will a W203 front brakes fit on a W202...a C32 front brake conversion is looking mighty tempting.. :)

714guy
02-22-2003, 09:08 AM
I think you can, mark cummings said it could be done .

J Irwan
02-28-2003, 12:32 PM
Yes it will fit

since C32 caliper fit on W210
so It will fit W208 and W202 as well..

Regardz,

J Irwan

nokia8860
02-28-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by ExSLKBoy
Will a W203 front brakes fit on a W202...a C32 front brake conversion is looking mighty tempting.. :)

hahahha youre thinking about it cuz it cost around 700 bucks from the dealer :p

nokia8860
03-01-2003, 02:12 PM
203 421 09 12 Brake Disk

002 420 19 83 Caliper Left

002 420 20 83 Caliper Right

003 420 42 20 Brake pads

220 421 01 71 Screw for brake disk

124 214 04 71 Screw for calipers

220 540 07 17 Brake pad indicator

I think those are the part numbers.... i think

The reason why I say is I was always under the impression that AMG parts always began with HWA but these didnt just your normal A.

I dont drive to hard so my brakes are still pretty much ok. Maybe when it comes time to redoing my brakes I'll do this set up. It is like 800 and change not bad.

Incase you wanted E55 brakes

HWA 210 421 01 98 Caliper Left

HWA 210 421 02 98 Caliper Right

210 421 18 12 Disk Left

210 214 19 12 Disk Right

J Irwan
03-02-2003, 11:36 AM
Anyone

has a snapshot of Original E55 front caliper..?

As I recall their looks just like a regular caliper... no fancy AMG label/logo on them..?

Regardz,

J Irwan

nokia8860
05-22-2003, 09:31 PM
bump for the people needing the part numbers for whatever they need it for.

Luwin1026
05-23-2003, 11:02 PM
I hear that it won't fit right, as you have to fit the caliper on the opposite side -

Given that the calipers have sequential pistons, the order of them would be reversed, decreasing the effectiveness of braking.

Also, note that the rotor/disc will only come unidirectional, so it will be reversed on the other side, further reducing effectiveness, especially in cooling.

I wouldn't do the C32 "upgrade" personally.

Denlasoul
05-24-2003, 12:53 AM
Are E55 (up to 02) brakes 4 piston or 2?

Edit: I read that the 2000-2002 have 4 piston calipers.

Do you think that the E55 brake calipers can direct bolt on to the W202? They already have the same size rotors. Basically, I would like to step up to 4 piston.

Any insights?

Denlasoul
05-25-2003, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by J Irwan
Anyone

has a snapshot of Original E55 front caliper..?

As I recall their looks just like a regular caliper... no fancy AMG label/logo on them..?

Regardz,

J Irwan

Here you go:http://www.e55amg.homestead.com/files/blue_caliper_6.jpg

speedybenz
05-25-2003, 09:12 PM
Denlasoul,

The C43 has the same brakes as the E55, W210, not the W211 or the new one.

I was told to check into the brakes off the SL600 Final Edition. They are 4 piston, aluminum Brembo's with 13.7" rotors.

I hear they bolt right up and have the correct caliper orientation, etc.

But If you wait a week or so I will have my new brakes that are of better quality than the Mercedes AMG stuff, and are much lighter and will have more braking force.

Cost is about half of Aftermarket Brembo Setup.

Jeff

J Irwan
05-25-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by speedybenz
Denlasoul,

The C43 has the same brakes as the E55, W210, not the W211 or the new one.

I was told to check into the brakes off the SL600 Final Edition. They are 4 piston, aluminum Brembo's with 13.7" rotors.

I hear they bolt right up and have the correct caliper orientation, etc.

But If you wait a week or so I will have my new brakes that are of better quality than the Mercedes AMG stuff, and are much lighter and will have more braking force.

Cost is about half of Aftermarket Brembo Setup.

Jeff

Jeff,

When you said "... they bolt right up and have the correct caliper orientation, etc."..

which one do you mean and to which it will bolt right up..??

Also keep us posted with the custom brake for you C43

Please let us know ;)

Regardz,

J Irwan

Denlasoul
05-25-2003, 09:34 PM
Jeff:

I thought the C43 was a 2 piston caliper and the E55 was a 4 piston. If that is so, I would be interested in upping to a 4 piston. I, too will look into the SL600.

I havent fully evaluated my braking needs and requirements. I plan on s/c my car, and would like to have at least a 4 piston caliper setup. If, the C43 is indeed 4 piston then I will leave them alone. Unless, of course, I feel the need to upgrade. Are the C43 2 or 4 piston?

I remember reading about your brake system setup. Weight saving would be ideal, and maybe someting to go after in the future.

Regardsless, keep us posted.

DLS

Edit: Ok, where did the 98 C43 get its brakes? E55 first arrived in 99, and on mbusa the 2000-2002 are 4 piston, not sure about the 99. The 99 and 2000 C43 probably did get its brakes form the E55. I gotta pop off my wheel and see for myself. Maybe I do have a 2 piston and the 99/00 has a 4 piston.

Eurosport
05-25-2003, 10:11 PM
C36 brakes are 4 pistons
i see no reason why C43 wouldn't be same

60-0 in about 106-107ft ;p
not bad for a 4 door auto

J Irwan
05-25-2003, 10:27 PM
Denlasoul...

C36 has 4 pot caliper with 12.6" rotor (by ATE)

C43 , CLK55 (w208) and E55 (W210) has 2 pot caliper and 13.1" 2 piece rotor (by ATE)

now C32, CLK55 (w209) has 4 pot caliper and 13.6" rotor (by brembo)

the W211 E55 has larger brake I forgot the spec but they are the same as SL55. I think they 8 pot caliper brake and about 14" rotor..

I hope this clear up some confussion

Regardz,

J Irwan

Henry47
09-29-2003, 10:36 AM
anyone know the disc size for a stock 2000 c280?

J Irwan
11-12-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by SLK Boy

hey man,

are you still looking....

I am selling mine never used ...
check out the classifieds ;)

Regardz,

DougandhisC280
11-13-2003, 09:40 AM
I hear that it won't fit right, as you have to fit the caliper on the opposite side -

Given that the calipers have sequential pistons, the order of them would be reversed, decreasing the effectiveness of braking.

Also, note that the rotor/disc will only come unidirectional, so it will be reversed on the other side, further reducing effectiveness, especially in cooling.

^Posted by Luwin

This is correct. They bolt right up but they will not work as effectively as they do for the C32 they are designed for. I almost did this conversion too but backed out because of this dilema.

J Irwan
11-13-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by DougandhisC280

^Posted by Luwin

This is correct. They bolt right up but they will not work as effectively as they do for the C32 they are designed for. I almost did this conversion too but backed out because of this dilema.

I will say it again it will be bolt-on straight up

Since the mounting position on the C32/W203 as trailing caliper you would have to reverse it on W202/W208/W210 as a leading caliper.
But it will work.

I however found out a way to install it correctly on W202/W208/W210 a.k.a not in the reversed way (like most people who had done this convertion).

check this thread (http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1786) out.

I am also aware of the one directional vented rotor part.
However, if you do this brake convertion it shouldn't be worse than C32.
Although to get the maximum brake is not achieved here with the rotor being one side (directionally vented) obviously Mercedes thought that this should be fine for street use.

But if you want to Autocross, or track the car you GOTTA pay the premium buy the best brake you could buy i.e MOV-IT, Brembo, StopTech, APRacing, WilWood, etc..

but for the money it is no brainer it cost 1/5 of brembo and 1/4 of Stoptech and MOV-IT, and 1/3 APRacing .. you get the idea.

But in short you get what you paid for.

But for the money it is worth it. (better than stock Non AMG car's brakes for sure) ;)

Regardz,

MBATF
11-14-2003, 12:32 PM
AS far as will E55 Brakes fit on W202?

I believe its a "YES", Cuz not long ago Jack "TP" had put them on his car about a yera ago.

Renn 208
11-14-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by MBATF
AS far as will E55 Brakes fit on W202?

I believe its a "YES", Cuz not long ago Jack "TP" had put them on his car about a yera ago.

210 E55;)

36SlaMMed
11-27-2003, 03:10 PM
Now to sum up everything, first of all is it worth replacing the original c36 braking system with the c32 one and why. And wether the answer be yes or no, which braking system upgrade would be recommended to replace the c36 braking system without having to pay lots of money. For example, would the SL600 braking system be an imporvement over the amg c36's, if so why ?

Thanks to whoever than can accurately answer these questions.

P.S. I need new rotors anyway, mine is cracked so i was thinking of upgrading the whole brake system itself.

J Irwan
11-27-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by 36SlaMMed
Now to sum up everything, first of all is it worth replacing the original c36 braking system with the c32 one and why. And wether the answer be yes or no, which braking system upgrade would be recommended to replace the c36 braking system without having to pay lots of money. For example, would the SL600 braking system be an imporvement over the amg c36's, if so why ?

Thanks to whoever than can accurately answer these questions.

P.S. I need new rotors anyway, mine is cracked so i was thinking of upgrading the whole brake system itself.

SL600 which model R230 chassis or R129 chassis

If you talking about R129 SL600 then the answer is no.
Since it using the same rotor and pad as C36.

The only possible upgradeof other model I can see for W202 chassis including W208 CLK and W210 is:
1.C43 brake upgrade which has 2 piece 13.1" rotor with 2 piston floating caliper (a.k.a sliding caliper).
2.CLK55(W208)/E55(W210) the same setup as C43 the same caliper and same rotor, but different piston bore (I got this from someone at other forum)
3.CLK32 AMG 1 piece 13.6 rotor with Brembo 4 piston fixed caliper.
4.Premium big brake kit with 2 pc floating rotor in 13",14" or even 15" with 4 piston fixed caliper such STOPTECH, BREMBO, AP RACING, ALCON, BAER, WILWOOD, MOV-IT, etc which cost at least 4x of C32 brake

PS:C43, CLK55(W208) and E55(W210) has exatcly the same physical appreance, and the caliper made by ATE.

The reason for C43/CLK55/E55 brake upgrade is not worth it is because part alone (caliper, rotor, pad and sensor) will set you pocket back around $1100-1200 (parts only)

So by looking at this fact C32 brake is the most bang for the buck upgrade.
Then off course the performance of C32 brake is still no better that those premium big brake kits. But you'd get what you paid for : )

I hope this answer your question.
Also on another just in case someone ask about W124 500E/E500 brake upgrade it's not worth it why.

95 C36 AMG has 320mm front rotor
96-97 C36 AMG has 316mm front rotor
all year W124 500E/E500 has 300mm front rotor (the are some difference in caliper setup between the earier 500E (Brembo aluminum caliper) and later E500 (ATE caliper).

Regardz,

36SlaMMed
11-28-2003, 12:21 PM
J mad props to you man Thanx a lot.

I have one last question for you..in your opinion if i were just gonna change my rotor, which rotor would be the best for my c36 thats bigger in size and is cross drilled without having to pay lots a money, if you can give me a link maybe someone you know, i really need rotors right away.

Again thanks a bunch

J Irwan
11-28-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by 36SlaMMed
J mad props to you man Thanx a lot.

I have one last question for you..in your opinion if i were just gonna change my rotor, which rotor would be the best for my c36 thats bigger in size and is cross drilled without having to pay lots a money, if you can give me a link maybe someone you know, i really need rotors right away.

Again thanks a bunch

What year is your C36 again..?

you can upgrade your rotor and pad, but there is no way you can upgrade to bigger rotor without upgrading the caliper as well.

I have been having a hard time finding my 97 for OE-size aftermarket rotor.

I have been searching for Crossdrilled or slotted, and no one has anything like that for 96-97.
The only aftermarket OE size rotor is plain 316mm vented rotor.(Brembo via Tirerack or stick with Stock rotor (ATE))

Although I was thinking of getting crossdrilled and frozen or possible slotted and frozen rotor from www.frozenrotors.com or http://www.porterfield-brakes.com

PS:I meant frozen as cryogenic treatment a.k.a cryo treatment

But at the end the cost of each rotor would be around $195 each plus shipping .

Plus from what I have been hearing the best pad upgrade so far for street driving is porterfields R4S (90% low dust compare to OE pad) which cost about $98 for the front set. That's why I decided to give them a try. We have a groupbuy going on at mercedesshop if you interested.

So you see the C32 was my best option , except it wouldn't fit my 18" monoblok wheel. :(, and that's the reason I decided to put it up for sale instead of keep it.

and if you have a 95 C36, good luck finding aftermarket.
Since the rotor is 320mm and have HWA - AMG specific part number (HWA 202 specific part number) the only available rotor replacement is only stock.

(PS: if you decide to go for C32, look no further I am selling mine and it is ready to bolt on and you don't have to anything special, since I have done all the works ;) )

Regardz,

moebiusgold
11-28-2003, 05:10 PM
I don't have data on brake rotor material but I can tell you that on properly heated tool steels it does absolutly nothing. If it is a cast wrought, rolled or forged or whatever matrial you have, what you want in a situation like this is low residual stress and toughness with just enough hardness that surface seizures or galling won't happen. After 1 thermal cycle above the annealing temp of any part of the rotor any possible claimed benifit would be erased. At temp way below melting temp most metals start creeping and trying to relieve the stresses present, applied or residual. M-7 tool steel has half its room temp strength at 500 something Degree F! It is considered a high hot strength tool steel. Brake rotors get like 3X this on the surface of the friction zone. The problem happens whenever the metal cools down from these temperatures. It is impossible to make every portion cool at the same rate. This causes zones of tension and compresion. Compression on the surface of things is usually good because that is where there is usually the highest concentration of defedts and stress risers. Cracks can't form under comprression. Compression shot peening vibro peening and coldworking all do this by mechanically modifying the surface. Brake rotors have all sorts of cross sectional variation and heating and cooling rates. This is where residual stress builds and even chemical changes happen in the material.
By rotors of the best material and hope that there is as much as possible geometric and residule stress symmetry. Oh yeah, and after making you brakes glow all sorts of colors don,t come to a complete stop. This is the best way to get things going out of round no matter what the material. Got the idea why I think cryo treating is a waist.

J Irwan
11-28-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by moebiusgold
I don't have data on brake rotor material but I can tell you that on properly heated tool steels it does absolutly nothing. If it is a cast wrought, rolled or forged or whatever matrial you have, what you want in a situation like this is low residual stress and toughness with just enough hardness that surface seizures or galling won't happen. After 1 thermal cycle above the annealing temp of any part of the rotor any possible claimed benifit would be erased. At temp way below melting temp most metals start creeping and trying to relieve the stresses present, applied or residual. M-7 tool steel has half its room temp strength at 500 something Degree F! It is considered a high hot strength tool steel. Brake rotors get like 3X this on the surface of the friction zone. The problem happens whenever the metal cools down from these temperatures. It is impossible to make every portion cool at the same rate. This causes zones of tension and compresion. Compression on the surface of things is usually good because that is where there is usually the highest concentration of defedts and stress risers. Cracks can't form under comprression. Compression shot peening vibro peening and coldworking all do this by mechanically modifying the surface. Brake rotors have all sorts of cross sectional variation and heating and cooling rates. This is where residual stress builds and even chemical changes happen in the material.
By rotors of the best material and hope that there is as much as possible geometric and residule stress symmetry. Oh yeah, and after making you brakes glow all sorts of colors don,t come to a complete stop. This is the best way to get things going out of round no matter what the material. Got the idea why I think cryo treating is a waist.

intersting .. :)

Although I have never own a cryo-treated rotor I have been hearing a good feedback from people who track often. (mercedesshop, mbworld and bmw forums)
Thats another reason I was thinking of giving these a try :)

Although your point does make sense, and I am under the impression that the cryo-treatment is minimizing and stabilized the material mass molecules/particle structure.

That way when it get abused (change in temperatue, extreme heat, uneven cool down, all the structure will remain as much as possible.)

But hey I am curious and learning as how effective this process can do to preserve the brake rotor :D

Regardz,

moebiusgold
11-28-2003, 06:27 PM
I have allways learned best with data. If you know of reputable people saying it works for whatever reason the answer is try them, for sure! It didn't come out enough in my post but I was implying that if you don't have the best material to start with there coulld be something in it. If it worked on everything it would be all over our and everyone's cars. Rods springs .... In my industry I have seen clains for performace gains in metal materials from ion implantation to sub micron carbides. Some of it works, some doesn't. Its weird to see the stuff that doen't make rounds from one industry to another over the course of years making all sorts of claims. Claims are claims but if you have data.... I live for data (when I'm not having "fun") and if it's invovled with the only other real passion of my life, I'm happy. :) Thanks for sharing, I'll just sit back and wait for you to find out. I just hope that's before my rotors are shot.:) I like to run them to the end cuz i think that they are the lightest, so you have the less moment of inertia effect, just like wheels, tires, flywheels,.. I wish we could get ceramic rotors ...:(
I had willwood superlite 4 on the LF and RR(birdcage) with aluminum rotors on my sprint car. They worked well but wore fast. When I was starting and missed setups by embarrasing amounts I blew the brkes off the car in 25 laps of a 3/10 (Skajit Speedway) I had spectators come down afterwards talking about flames with sparks shooting back 6 or more feet! Glad I couldn't see it! I had my hands full without any more input. I took over 1/4 " off the cast iron main rotor. It was only $35 + tax. The complete rear end with a steel lower shaft, not a Ti one is only 2K. Renntech wants 2500$ for a posi. Waa:( These C's can be kindy spendy at times. Its trying to suck me in.;)

Denlasoul
11-06-2004, 10:00 AM
Can someone explain the difference between a floating piston and fixed piston? Also, how it effects the brake system, and pros and cons of them?

Found a definition in case you are interseted (http://www.ceramicbrakes.com/whitepapers/glossary/c.htm)

SLAMMED_C
11-21-2004, 07:49 PM
Can the C55 brakes be used at all??.. will they fit on the W202 like the C32 brakes do?
are the C55 brakes any larger than the C32's??

J Irwan
11-21-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
Can the C55 brakes be used at all??.. will they fit on the W202 like the C32 brakes do?
are the C55 brakes any larger than the C32's??

The current C55 brake are exactly the same as C32's.

The SLK55 (R171) and 2005 CLK55 (W209) has the newer brakes
6 pot front caliper and bigger rotor diameter..

Regardz,

SLAMMED_C
11-22-2004, 06:42 PM
So.. do the R171 or W209 front brakes work on a W202??
6 pot is better than 4!!

714guy
11-30-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by J Irwan
The current C55 brake are exactly the same as C32's.

The SLK55 (R171) and 2005 CLK55 (W209) has the newer brakes
6 pot front caliper and bigger rotor diameter..

Regardz,

J Irwan

would you by any chance have the part # for the SLK 55 and Clk55 brake parts. I an thinking of upgrading soon.

Thanks

Jason

Ashkan's C280
12-02-2004, 04:23 PM
so jeff that breaks you are getting are thye the best that can be done for w202?

J Irwan
12-02-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by 714guy
J Irwan

would you by any chance have the part # for the SLK 55 and Clk55 brake parts. I an thinking of upgrading soon.

Thanks

Jason

Jason,

Unfortunately I don't have that yet.
If you happend to have that before I can obtain them, please share it with me ;)

I'll let you know as soon as I got them..

Regardz,

Astamir
08-28-2016, 09:28 AM
I will say it again it will be bolt-on straight up

Since the mounting position on the C32/W203 as trailing caliper you would have to reverse it on W202/W208/W210 as a leading caliper.
But it will work.

I however found out a way to install it correctly on W202/W208/W210 a.k.a not in the reversed way (like most people who had done this convertion).

check this thread (http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1786) out.

I am also aware of the one directional vented rotor part.
However, if you do this brake convertion it shouldn't be worse than C32.
Although to get the maximum brake is not achieved here with the rotor being one side (directionally vented) obviously Mercedes thought that this should be fine for street use.

But if you want to Autocross, or track the car you GOTTA pay the premium buy the best brake you could buy i.e MOV-IT, Brembo, StopTech, APRacing, WilWood, etc..

but for the money it is no brainer it cost 1/5 of brembo and 1/4 of Stoptech and MOV-IT, and 1/3 APRacing .. you get the idea.

But in short you get what you paid for.

But for the money it is worth it. (better than stock Non AMG car's brakes for sure) ;)

Regardz,
Hi guys
Can access the thread as I'm a newbie here can you please give more info about fitting the 4 pot calipers to w208 without changing the sides?
Cheers

Vetruck
08-28-2016, 02:36 PM
Hi guys
Can access the thread as I'm a newbie here can you please give more info about fitting the 4 pot calipers to w208 without changing the sides?
Cheers
There is really nothing relevant on the link. Just three posts them talking about moderator privileges and nothing to do with brakes.

Vetruck
08-28-2016, 02:41 PM
What I can share with you is a company that does have applications for a w202 Mercedes in the way of performance brakes.

Ceika

http://ceikaperformance.com/

Denlasoul
08-30-2016, 09:31 AM
There is really nothing relevant on the link. Just three posts them talking about moderator privileges and nothing to do with brakes.
Unfortunately, when we changed the site over, many links were broken. :(

808SPEEDFREAK
07-16-2018, 04:53 PM
I know this is an old thread but I'm upgrading my 1999 C230 Kompressor to Bigger rotors and Calipers

What I am using:
2000-2 CL500/S430 Calipers ($100 ebay pair)
2002 SLK32AMG Rotors 330x32mm (amazon $36 each)

problems I encountered is I had to space the calipers 10mm and use 45mm long M10 caliper mounting bolts
this is due to the rotor offset. I found some GLK rotors that move the rotor back 8mm but have not found some to play with yet.

found some longer brake lines that would work from a 64 VW Bug 19" long (about 490mm) ($10 each)

Trying to find some used SLK32 backing plates ($200 pr NEW). Ordered some for a E430 4Matic ($40 pr NEW) but it uses the wrong mounting since its AWD.

Has anyone done the same conversion??

My 95 C36 I am going to go to E55 Brakes. Since the rims on that car is 18" already

paste
12-15-2019, 02:31 PM
I have.