PDA

View Full Version : Attaching license plate bracket

taskertown
11-25-2003, 09:17 PM
I bought a front license plate bracket for my 1998 C230 from Caliber Motors in Anaheim. It did not come with any screws. Anyone know what type and size of screw I need to use to attach it to the bumper??

A little nervous about drilling holes in the bumper. Any idea of what the dealer might charge to attach the front license plate bracket??

Thanks

JDoggery
11-25-2003, 09:29 PM
They will prob charge more than it is worth.

Goldeni245
11-25-2003, 10:07 PM
front licesne plates make cars look ugly anyways. I live in SF and SoCalI've never had one and never got hassled by the cops. Eh, whatever.

but if you DO drill holes. Make you sure you won't hit any of the airbag sensors inside the bumper.

taskertown
11-25-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Goldeni245
front licesne plates make cars look ugly anyways. I live in SF and SoCalI've never had one and never got hassled by the cops. Eh, whatever.
I live in Brea in Orange County, Southern California and the place is crawling with cops. Most of them hang around on motorcycles looking for violations. On my other car, I have already been ticketed twice. I would hate to give them a reason to pull me over.

but if you DO drill holes. Make you sure you won't hit any of the airbag sensors inside the bumper. [/B]
Yikes! Thanks for warning me.

714guy
11-26-2003, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Goldeni245
front licesne plates make cars look ugly anyways.

Uerb Nerd is so gay!!!! :D :D

anyways the only way to put a front plate on is to drill, but seriously i' haven't been hassled at all for not have a plate up front, cops usually dont go out of the way to give a ticket for no plate. I've been driving forever with no plate, plus your in a benz cops really dont care. I go to school in fullerton and am always in the brea area also.

Ever been down champan in orange?? Cops are at every light.

c230kompresssed
11-26-2003, 11:38 AM
wtf u guys drive around everywhere I drive around, and I never see any modded c-cklasses...

Wanna talk about asshole cops???

Biggest asshole cops (in numerical order)
1. BREA (ASSJ0LEZ!)
2. FULLERTON
3. LA HABRA
4. BUENA PARK

those r the worst cities to be pulled over in...I've gotten a ticket for not having my front liscense plate in Brea and Fullerton..watch out guys...

Eurosport
11-26-2003, 01:04 PM
most MB dealers do it for free
i took in my mom's car and asked them to put the license plate and the holder in, they were about to put their dealer name frame lol i told em i don't need that shit on the car lol i do know the service people so they were cool but haven't heard of anyone getting charged for making the holes, etc.

Renn 208
11-26-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Eurosport
most MB dealers do it for free

This is true because technically, they're not supposed to let you leave the lot with the car unless it has a front plate bracket. Save yourself the hassle and let them do it. Work on mods instead!:bunny:

josh k
11-26-2003, 03:26 PM
DON'T drill your bumper. No front plate is a fix it ticket and if you DO get pulled over, you can attatch it to your car w/ automotive grade two sided tape for the purposes of getting the ticket signed off.

If you're really stuck on the idea of a front plate, then use the tape. That stuff hold on body kits and is all that's holding my roof wing on - your plate bracket won't go anywhere.

moebiusgold
11-26-2003, 06:37 PM
I just put a stock holder on my virgin frt bumper cover. I drilled the holes, god, I hated to do that. Mr. Officer didn't like it below the bumper, said it wasn't stock. I kept my mouth shut and didn't get a ticket. Maybe my rad. will get a little more air.

jnolte
11-26-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by moebiusgold
I just put a stock holder on my virgin frt bumper cover. I drilled the holes, god, I hated to do that. Mr. Officer didn't like it below the bumper, said it wasn't stock. I kept my mouth shut and didn't get a ticket. Maybe my rad. will get a little more air.

Moeb you had a VIRGIN bumper?? Fine was fucked to shit! i had like 2 nasty holes drilled right in the middle, i was trying to sand them down to get it repainted but never got away with it, i always thought they drilled them at the stealership!

Hank
12-02-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by c230kompresssed
wtf u guys drive around everywhere I drive around, and I never see any modded c-cklasses...

1. BREA (ASSJ0LEZ!)
2. FULLERTON
3. LA HABRA
4. BUENA PARK

those r the worst cities to be pulled over in...I've gotten a ticket for not having my front liscense plate in Brea and Fullerton..watch out guys...

ever venture out of the OC? try cruising around San Gabriel or Alhambra... if you're feeling lucky, drive around the rich areas of San Marino at night.

moebiusgold
12-02-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
Moeb you had a VIRGIN bumper?? Fine was fucked to shit! i had like 2 nasty holes drilled right in the middle, i was trying to sand them down to get it repainted but never got away with it, i always thought they drilled them at the stealership!
My car came from a state where the frt. plates are not required. Just one of many reasons I bought it. Sorry, I tend only to talk about the negatives. I gently drilled 2 perfect small holes and put the smallest sheet metal screws that I thought would work. The urethane is only slightly distorted. You heat it with a hair dryer to move it. Sanding doesn't work very well. I could undo mine with $.25 worth of bondo.

moebiusgold
12-04-2003, 06:40 PM
After thinking about this I think that I should have made the holes in the bumper cover just larger than the screws and smaller in the foam. That way there would be almost no distortion of the cover. 2 Little color matched plugs could be added at a later date if you wanted to deplate holder the front. They would be perfectly symetrical and only a real MB fanatic would notice, if they were closer than 25 feet away.;)

crazy00c230k
12-04-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by c230kompresssed

1. BREA (ASSJ0LEZ!)
2. FULLERTON
3. LA HABRA
4. BUENA PARK

i feel dat.....ive been pulled over by buena park cop for driving a nice car at 3 in da mornin....then he told me i was high on methanfadamines and let me go cuz my record was clean....wattah fukkin wacko....o well....ive never been pulled over for no front license plate though