PDA

View Full Version : to by pass bulb out feature

11-26-2003, 05:39 AM
Planning to install relay for front low beam, I've seen other guy with a W124 that modified control unit of this devise, by simply interrumpt the dedicated track welding! Does someone know principle of bulb out control unit?

Fortunately high beam seems to be not controllod by this device!

Hi:)

vas2vas
11-26-2003, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by 1998K
Planning to install relay for front low beam, I've seen other guy with a W124 that modified control unit of this devise, by simply interrumpt the dedicated track welding! Does someone know principle of bulb out control unit?

Fortunately high beam seems to be not controllod by this device!

hmm a high beam burn out will also trigger the bulb out light, the light comes on from circuit interruption.... probably triggered by the circuit voltage and or resistance change caused by the burned out bulb...

omegabenz
11-26-2003, 05:04 PM
If you have a 202, you should just upgrade to the Xenon C43 headlights.

If you have a w124 you should upgrade to 500E euro headlights or just 300E euro headlights. A 65/55 W bulb in a euro reflector is far better than a US headlight. Since you are from italy, I would assume that you already have euro headlights.

Maybe try a higher wattage bulb, sometimes the connectors can melt though, that is why people install relays with really good connectors and wires.

I think the bulb out feature senses the resistance on the system and reports if a light is out or not. I know in america that if you dont use nickel plated bases with the various bulbs, they will show that you have a bulb out (having a gold color plated base on a bulb) will cause the problem.

I was thinking of doing relays and everything, but I just decided to put in higher wattage bulbs, and I havent had problems yet (fingers crossed), but I couldnt figure out how to trick the system. I think that you would have to figure out what ohm load the mercedes bulbs generate, and what the new ones with the relays do, and somehow wire it up so that it has the right ohm load.

I think it would be a good question at mercedesshop.com

11-27-2003, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the answer Guys. Mine is a W202 and after read other experience (see other threads) I'm convinced to do not utilize bigger wattage bulbs without increase cable section and relay. This is why I came in this problem with bulb-out feature!

:)

omegabenz
11-27-2003, 09:33 AM
I think that ALL 202s had European reflectors, even the US cars.

I think that adding some driving lights on the bumper might be a better solution. There are these little remote control relay kits that come with a remote control and the relays necessary for auxiliary lighting so that you don’t have to drill holes into your firewall of your car to put a switch inside.

The Sylvania xenarc auxiliary lighting comes with everything needed to install.

http://www.sylvania.com/xenarc/x1010.htm

Hella Makes very good aftermarket driving lights, if you are willing to wire up the relay and remote that would be a good option as well.

Hope this helps.

Austin

11-27-2003, 10:45 PM
omegabenz thanks a lot for your help I appreciate al lot. As you said Xenon lights is the best way to go. But not possible because of not so cheap.

Considering that I'd like to maintain stock look, I'm not considered installation of additional lights, so I prefer to work on standard set up. I'm quite convinced to install relay plus gauge10 cable for front and low beam (I tested it and light is really stronger!). Blow out feature is a problem so, or I utilize suggestion from nokia8810 (other tread) or I take out bul from dash (this has to be deciced). now my question is:

I want to increase also internal headlamp wire (stock are very small in diameter). Is it possible to dismount headlight assembly?
Need some expert member to confirm. Do I have to utilize same particular cable performed for hight temperature? I have standard cable utilized for amplifier.

Thaks a lot again and for any further help.

omegabenz
11-27-2003, 10:49 PM
Over 12 inches of wire (.3m) the voltage drop is hardly noticible, however long the stock wires are from the connector to the headlight bulb.

I am sure relays would help. You may want to see if your car has relays already for the headlights.

If you take the "bulb out" bulb out then if your tail light went out you wouldnt notice and you could get a ticket from a policeman.

It would be great to figure out how to trick the mercedes system using relays so that it still knows if even a headlight is out.

11-27-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by omegabenz
Over 12 inches of wire (.3m) the voltage drop is hardly noticible, however long the stock wires are from the connector to the headlight bulb.

I am sure relays would help. You may want to see if your car has relays already for the headlights.

If you take the "bulb out" bulb out then if your tail light went out you wouldnt notice and you could get a ticket from a policeman.

It would be great to figure out how to trick the mercedes system using relays so that it still knows if even a headlight is out.

Please do you intend BELOW not UNDER? Sorry for my bad english, do you intend that due to short lenght the internal standard cable are not necessary to modify? Please confirm considering that I'd like to utilize 100W for high beam.

W202 do not have relay.

I understand well the downside of taking out "bulb-out" bulb infact in the other tread there is a solution to keep this feature, but it need, if I'm not wrong additional relay for each line!

omegabenz
11-28-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by 1998K
] do you intend that due to short lenght the internal standard cable are not necessary to modify?

This statement that you made is Correct (right).

You could if you wanted, but such a short distance does not matter very much.

Send me an email, I know of a guy that is better at lights than I am. I am sure he can help you.

11-30-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by omegabenz
This statement that you made is Correct (right).

You could if you wanted, but such a short distance does not matter very much.

Send me an email, I know of a guy that is better at lights than I am. I am sure he can help you.

Thanks omegabenz, I'll send e-mail as soon today.

:)