PDA

View Full Version : Brake rubbing or something else?

GDawgC220
11-26-2003, 06:39 PM
Hey all,
Sometimes when I'm going slow, say puttering up to a red light, and I begin to slow down, I hear this rubbing sound from the right front tire when braking. From a loud rubbing noise down to nothing when stopped. It only happens once in a while...anyone know what this is or could be? Thanks.

-G-

jnolte
11-26-2003, 07:05 PM
man you have so many problems with your car! time for a new one! havent you spent like 9gs in fixing it

GDawgC220
11-26-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
man you have so many problems with your car! time for a new one! havent you spent like 9gs in fixing it

Yea...8g's in two years. But I love the car so much :D Minor things i don't mind, but major...then it's time for major thinking through :p

But if it's something minor like brakes, then I don't really mind as I kinda do need the brakes to stop the car, lol.

Any idea what this could be? It's only once in a while...i may have the dealer check it out when i get my oil changed in about a month.

-G-

Denlasoul
11-26-2003, 07:26 PM
Is your car lowered or do you have 18+ inch wheels?

It kinda sounds like your brake pads are low.....are there any indicator lights going off in your cluster? Low brake pads almost have a grinding sound when really bad. Does it sound like a metal rub or a rubber/plastic rub?

jnolte
11-26-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Denlasoul

It kinda sounds like your brake pads are low.....are there any indicator lights going off in your cluster? Low brake pads almost have a grinding sound when really bad. Does it sound like a metal rub or a rubber/plastic rub?

If that is the case then dont wait a month to get it checked out, it will destroy your rotors!

GDawgC220
11-26-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Denlasoul

Nope, stock 15" wheels and tires. No pad indicator lights on the cluster. It is like a rubber/plastic rubbing sound, no grinding noises. Only on right side. What is the plastic/rubber mean? I know grinding is definately something bad :p

-G-

Denlasoul
11-26-2003, 07:50 PM
Maybe the plastic wheel well cover is loose or cracked. I would pop off the wheel and look for wear inside the wheel well. Also check if your breaklines are ok.

GDawgC220
11-27-2003, 04:48 PM
Just thought of this...could it be low tire pressure? My front looks kinda low. Didn't think of this before, but it's rubber rubbing sounds...thought this maybe?

-G-

moebiusgold
11-27-2003, 05:16 PM
Sounds to me like you better take the RF off. You just don't fool around when you have brake or steering issues. Look in the wheel well, look at the brakes (maybe the indicator sensor is disconnected or has a big groove in it). If somthing is really rubbing , you'll be able to see it. Tires with soft sidewalls can make weird noises as the bead area flexes against the rim. Tireses can interact with the pavement and make some bizzar noises especially under hard braking. Noises in the C are Bizzar. I have this droning door pillar wind noise that comes from the right when you sit in the drivers seat and from the left when you sit in the passenger seat. Take a ride in your car as a passenger. Its fun to notice things from a different perspective.:)
I flew to LA cuz a good friends M5 was making "bizzar gear like noises" on hard braking. He was scared stiff and was going to sell it. Braking for the first corner I told him to get differet tires. He almost didn't but did and kept it for another 137K! I cann't remember what Yoko's they were.

GDawgC220
12-01-2003, 05:03 AM
I figured out something strange. This morning it was acting up again...my tires are low on pressure, down to about 22 PSI for both fronts. When I filled them up, the rubbing noise was gone from the front right. Low pressure have anything to do with it? I looked at the brakes and rim...nothing rubbing together and the sounds are rubber, so would this be logical?

Same thing last time, I filled up the tires and the rubbing was gone.

I think the cold and warm weather are causing my two fronts to loose air?

-G-

moebiusgold
12-01-2003, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by GDawgC220
I figured out something strange. This morning it was acting up again...my tires are low on pressure, down to about 22 PSI for both fronts. When I filled them up, the rubbing noise was gone from the front right. Low pressure have anything to do with it? I looked at the brakes and rim...nothing rubbing together and the sounds are rubber, so would this be logical?

Same thing last time, I filled up the tires and the rubbing was gone.

I think the cold and warm weather are causing my two fronts to loose air?

-G-
Fact. Tires loose air. Some more than others. The high perf thin sidewalls, soft rubber ones loose it the fastest.
I said this in my previous post."Tires with soft sidewalls can make weird noises as the bead area flexes against the rim". This is magnified with low air pressure. The noise is way worse with steel rims.
Finally, what the are you doing with 22 psi in any modern street car tire? I feel guilty when mine get down 2 PSI. I can easily feel 4. I would never have less than 35 psi (assuming that you have tires that are rated for at least this). I'm running 41 in the front and 45 in the back. My C 36 likes to push, so, I pump up the fronts. Just don't exceed the manufacturers recommendations (by much). Cold and Winter means you can put a couple more pounds.
I go by 2 factors. Tire wear and handeling. You usually need more pressure for best handling which is fine as long as the wear is not excesssive (in the center), nice and even from inside to out. this keeps the tire from leaning over on the rim under cornering forces. Camber, toe, and driving habits can muddy this a bit. Low pressure can be very dangerous. Not only to handeling but to building up excessive heat in the rubber from too much flexing. Remember those Firestone SUV tires? You don't want to have that happen. I air at the least once a month, and that is only after I know the leak rates.:)
Buy a nice tire gauge and have fun!:D

GDawgC220
12-01-2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by moebiusgold
Fact. Tires loose air. Some more than others. The high perf thin sidewalls, soft rubber ones loose it the fastest.
I said this in my previous post."Tires with soft sidewalls can make weird noises as the bead area flexes against the rim". This is magnified with low air pressure. The noise is way worse with steel rims.
Finally, what the are you doing with 22 psi in any modern street car tire? I feel guilty when mine get down 2 PSI. I can easily feel 4. I would never have less than 35 psi (assuming that you have tires that are rated for at least this). I'm running 41 in the front and 45 in the back. My C 36 likes to push, so, I pump up the fronts. Just don't exceed the manufacturers recommendations (by much). Cold and Winter means you can put a couple more pounds.
I go by 2 factors. Tire wear and handeling. You usually need more pressure for best handling which is fine as long as the wear is not excesssive (in the center), nice and even from inside to out. this keeps the tire from leaning over on the rim under cornering forces. Camber, toe, and driving habits can muddy this a bit. Low pressure can be very dangerous. Not only to handeling but to building up excessive heat in the rubber from too much flexing. Remember those Firestone SUV tires? You don't want to have that happen. I air at the least once a month, and that is only after I know the leak rates.:)
Buy a nice tire gauge and have fun!:D

Hey man,
Thanks for your tip. So, should I go with Conti's recommended or my gas tank's flap...28 up front, 32 rear...I think 28 a lil too low. I have Conti's CH95....what do you think are good PSI's? No wonder when I take sharper turns, the car doesn't feel too connected with the road :p

I think I will pick up a tire gauge today. But so strange that my front's only leak air, not the rears. I had this problem last late fall/winter season as well... Thanks man.

And the 22 PSI...it drops down to that level, lol. I don't run that on purpose. ;)
-G-