PDA

View Full Version : got diagnostics test, hav question

ryhi
11-28-2003, 11:52 AM
i got my codes pulled and there were 2 errors. one was the MAF sensor, and the other one was 02 sensor. the mechanic said it might only be the MAF sensor, but it is giving a bad signal to the 02 sensor. does anyone know if this is true? those of u who had MAF sensor problems, when u pulled the codes, did it give u a 02 sensor error too??

jnolte
11-28-2003, 01:02 PM
it can do that....

ryhi
11-28-2003, 01:09 PM
damnit!! today when i was driving it feels like my car is about to stall!!!!!!!!!! WTF... when i give it more gas i can hear my car going *put-put-put*! is this due to my MAF sensor? i havent replaced it yet because i was told that it would only affect my gas mileage, and i didnt really care because i dont drive very far..

jnolte
11-28-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by ryhi
damnit!! today when i was driving it feels like my car is about to stall!!!!!!!!!! WTF... when i give it more gas i can hear my car going *put-put-put*! is this due to my MAF sensor? i havent replaced it yet because i was told that it would only affect my gas mileage, and i didnt really care because i dont drive very far..

SOunds like MAF to me!

ryhi
11-28-2003, 01:14 PM
yea....but it only happened like today....i kinda noticed it last night driving home from dinner... my CEL has been on for like 2 weeks

jnolte
11-28-2003, 01:52 PM
just buy a new MAF from Importec.com

CKlasse
11-28-2003, 02:12 PM
Check your air filter.. if it's good, then your MAF/P is sending out of range signals. This causes misfires and in turn set off your O2 sensor.

It looks like your engine went into limp mode due to the misfires too. A new MAF will set you back a good $200-250. Installation is extremely easy!

ryhi
11-29-2003, 10:00 PM
does a faulty MAF sensor cause the car to stall?!?!

BoominVolvo
11-29-2003, 10:57 PM
does a faulty MAF sensor cause the car to stall?!?!

Yes! MAF Sensors will throw off your entire car, including causing it not to start, not idling correctly, stalling while driving, lurching,..etc

ryhi
12-03-2003, 06:44 PM
forgot to add...the mechanic told me if u constantly run ur car at high RPMs or redline it, the maf sensor will go bad. is this true? if it is, this is probably what happened to me.....i checked the wire and it doesnt seem dirty at all.

moebiusgold
12-03-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by BoominVolvo
Yes! MAF Sensors will throw off your entire car, including causing it not to start, not idling correctly, stalling while driving, lurching,..etc
Yes but nnot quite. In the frst couple seconds after start up the FI system is open loop and I think it ignores O2 and MAF and only looks at throttle position sensor and water temp. Please someone correct me if I am wrong cuz I'm just guessing. My point is should start fine but want to stall after its off high idle, say a min after going closed loop and building some temp. If things were real bad it would stall as soon as it went closed loop. Please tell us as many symptoms a you can think of.:)

C280 JR
12-03-2003, 09:16 PM
My car idels non stop, but its not a lot, i think my MAF is going bad...i dont mind it cause its pritty minimal..hopefully its not something i will have to do any time soon

Elvir

moebiusgold
12-03-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by C280 JR
My car idels non stop, but its not a lot, i think my MAF is going bad...i dont mind it cause its pritty minimal..hopefully its not something i will have to do any time soon

Elvir
How many RPM in drive and in neutral when all warmed up?

Eurosport
12-03-2003, 10:26 PM
i would try changing the 02 sensor first
also it's less than half the price of a MAS so not much to lose

714guy
12-03-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by ryhi
i got my codes pulled and there were 2 errors. one was the MAF sensor, and the other one was 02 sensor. the mechanic said it might only be the MAF sensor, but it is giving a bad signal to the 02 sensor. does anyone know if this is true? those of u who had MAF sensor problems, when u pulled the codes, did it give u a 02 sensor error too??

after my test i got some fuel malfunction bank 1 error, it said to check for vacumm leaks which i saw none. Any ways everybody i talked to said its the MAS, but the car ran fine. the only thing i was having a problem with was poping noise in the precats, my firend said that its because my MAS is feeding to much fuel and isn't burning it fast enough so it combusts in the precats.

So anyways before buying a new MAS, i took it out and cleaned it the way Speeybenz did and so far no more poping noise which happend at least a few times a day especially when i gun it. I still have to erase the code and run it for at least a week to know for sure if i solved the problem thou.

C280 JR
12-04-2003, 12:23 PM
in drive its about 700(+,-), at park its about 1K

ryhi
12-04-2003, 02:34 PM
-when i try to give my car a little more gas, it starts to do the put-put-put thing

-when im making kinda sharp turns, the car feels like its about to stall and starts to jerk

-sometimes when i stop, the car stalls and i have to restart

i ordered a new MAF sensor, since the codes did say i had a bad MAF sensor. i hope this is all tho....and i hope i dont need to replace the 02 sensor (which was another code)