PDA

View Full Version : making a '97 C36 antenna-less

walden
11-28-2003, 09:24 PM
hello...

is it possible to make the '97 C36 antenna-less with the modern day little permanent antenna on the top of the rear glass?

thanks!

J Irwan
11-28-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by walden
hello...

is it possible to make the '97 C36 antenna-less with the modern day little permanent antenna on the top of the rear glass?

thanks!

Mine has been antenna-less a month after I bought my car.

I am using Bosch Wire antenna that is mounted on the front windshield.

I can get some pic while time permits :)

So basically I have disconnected my rear antenna. so it doesn't do anything now, just sitting there.

Regardz,

walden
11-28-2003, 10:18 PM
thanks J!

that is great news...
thats what i am gonna do for sure then.

get rid of that antenna! :)

Eurosport
11-29-2003, 05:29 AM
J,
where you disconnect the antenna at? the trunk?
because we have another MB that antenna is not going up when you start the radio, so i wanna fix it lol, wanna know what to look for :)
tyty

1SIKBNZ
11-29-2003, 10:39 AM
how bout on a 99'? any way to boost the reception>? it sucks balls! and everytime i turn on the rear defrost it fuzzez out. who designed this crap? gessshhh.... thanx!

J Irwan
11-29-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Eurosport
J,
where you disconnect the antenna at? the trunk?
because we have another MB that antenna is not going up when you start the radio, so i wanna fix it lol, wanna know what to look for :)
tyty

Yes I basically unplug the connector to the antenna, since I am using aftermarket antenna, I connect that aftermarket antenna to my Headunit directly (not using factory radio harness)

Just pull the lining on the left side, and you might need to peek on the upper rear quarter panel (basically just beneath the antenna location) and there is power source connector that I just unplugged and that's it, the antenna is no lonher use :)

Regardz,

J Irwan
11-30-2003, 09:44 PM
Here a picture of my Bosch Internal wire antenna

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UwD1Aj4ZazD6uTKvwUS*d19soxDoMaiqCSI*5szHxiXTdW97C w6d4K19G0bb6IL5CIrJi0mY0Iv9*Ma*0PH26EJ3vjcRTx8S4Y! Oaf7E8v9*Vae9LlMAwauUIQ2SGY2q/bosch%20radio%20antenna1.jpg

Regardz,

1SIKBNZ
01-24-2004, 12:52 PM
Hey J.do you know? would this bosch wire antenna give me better reception than the built in one on a 99'? and is it avail at the parts counter....? part number? thanks!

cian36n
01-26-2004, 08:56 PM
After you get rid of the antenna, have you given any thought to shaving it? I havent seen it done, except on doorhandles and such, but I think it might look pretty nice.

J Irwan
01-27-2004, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by 1SIKBNZ
Hey J.do you know? would this bosch wire antenna give me better reception than the built in one on a 99'? and is it avail at the parts counter....? part number? thanks!

I am not sure if the reception is better than 99 OEM one.

Although the reception just a little beat weaker than my OEM setup, but most of the time the radio reception is pretty clear.

Beside the older setup antena has pretty strong reception to begin with.

And this Bosch antenna is aftermarket so it will not be available at dealership's part counter.

Cian36,
I had thought about it along time ago, but decided not to mess with the paintjob at all. I just want to keep everything is original as possible. Hence, when I sell this car and the new buyer want everything like where it was when new, then I can still do so.

Regardz,

pnsji
01-27-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by cian36n
After you get rid of the antenna, have you given any thought to shaving it? I havent seen it done, except on doorhandles and such, but I think it might look pretty nice.

I believe 714guy already did this to his '97 c class

cian36n
01-27-2004, 06:02 PM
pnsji,
Do you have any pics, or know of any on the forum...I tried the search but came up empty.

EDIT:
Irwan,
you make a good point, and thats one of the reasons why I am thinking of keeping my wheels.

Ian

Brabus
01-29-2004, 02:31 PM
Hmm, I have some issues with my antenna so this could be the answer to my problems!!

714guy
01-29-2004, 05:52 PM
i had my antenna shaved it looks like it was never there.

J Irwan where did you get your bocsh anntenna??? how much was it??

cian36n
01-30-2004, 09:52 PM
Do you have any pics? I am really curious to see how it turned out. Im sure it looks badass!

J Irwan
01-31-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by 714guy
i had my antenna shaved it looks like it was never there.

J Irwan where did you get your bocsh anntenna??? how much was it??

Jason I bought the Antenna when I was in Asia.

At one times (couple yearss ago ) it was a very popular replacement antenna for BMW E30 and Mercedes Benz (with motorized antenna). In Asia many owners they don't like the motorized antenna and go with this antenna.

I wish I still have the packaging for this so that I can tell you the model number..

But I did a search on the web along time ago, actually there are some other brand out there as well :)

Regardz,

714guy
02-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by J Irwan
Jason I bought the Antenna when I was in Asia.

At one times (couple yearss ago ) it was a very popular replacement antenna for BMW E30 and Mercedes Benz (with motorized antenna). In Asia many owners they don't like the motorized antenna and go with this antenna.

I wish I still have the packaging for this so that I can tell you the model number..

But I did a search on the web along time ago, actually there are some other brand out there as well :)

Regardz,

thanks alot i'll check it out.

714guy
02-01-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by cian36n
Do you have any pics? I am really curious to see how it turned out. Im sure it looks badass!

looks like the other side of the car. i also have some pics in the gallery.