PDA

View Full Version : HIDs for C36?

W202
11-30-2003, 11:28 PM
anyone have Hid on their C36?
wat company , where did u guys get em?
if so can u plz post some pic plz..
and is it possible to have bi-xenon for W202?

MBenzNL
12-01-2003, 02:42 AM
Factyory mercedes xenon headlights with ballast units on my 1993 C250D. Do it once - and do it right!

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwDhAtcVDiIuNqkoUcJrzClICZmqfQIFJ8oblj39o4EqUtGwB XkboprzQ7FVGAiC7JUOGiOY5e!dsS6i0WekWNyvwfX*ipqlkBF 5zUmOBbY/xenonlight01.jpg?dc=4675404803476143991

greetingz,

pnsji
12-01-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by W202

If you are creative enough and install a motor to deflect the beam, then yes.

J Irwan
12-01-2003, 02:56 PM
anyone have Hid on their C36?
wat company , where did u guys get em?
if so can u plz post some pic plz..

I have Bosch HID (not just a retrofit kit)
it came with Full Housing and proper relector, HID bulb, the ballast, and the kit also came with Bosch Clear corner lense.

It is plugin directy to my 1997 wiring harness, and I didn't have to do any modification at all to make it fit.

The only thing I have to do is change the fuse for the headlight from 7.5 A to 15 A.

And it doesn't thorught the "bulb out" indicator on my dash.

If you want pic, I think I have posted here in the forum.

And please please utilize the "search" function.

This is one of the popular topic that has been discussed many times ;)

Regardz,

Goldeni245
12-01-2003, 06:24 PM
These are aftermarket Philips 6000K Ultinon Xenons on my w202. I bought these from HID-Online.com for 580$.

They were half the price of OEM and look purplish/blue at night. I compared these to the OEM Xenon on my dad's CLK and these 6000K's were sooo much brighter. The OEM's looked like yellow halogens compared to my kit.

http://static.userland.com/images/bluexpinoy/xenon4.jpg

The thing that bothers me THE MOST is the crummy beam pattern of the lights because of the incorrect halogen reflector housing. Instead of having nice cutoffs like OEM, mine aren't very distinct. To me that didn't justify spending an extra 600$ (in total 1200$) for the Bosch OEM xenon housings. Nevertheless the philips kit on my car is still better then halogen. Also, if you are going aftermarket, get 4100K lamps if you want the most amout of light (lumens) projected on the road. 6000k is borderline, it looks better then 4100k, but suffers less light about (but not by much) anything higher then 6000K is a waste of your money. (all show).

http://static.userland.com/images/bluexpinoy/xenonsoncar.jpg
http://static.userland.com/images/bluexpinoy/xenon1.jpg

J Irwan
12-01-2003, 07:33 PM
Keep in mind

when comparing which HID kit you want to put it your W202

never compare with other model such CLK, since their housing and reflector is totally different.

Reflector design will also affect the hue color of the light..

So if you want to compare your Aftermarket kit for W202 the fair/correct comparison would be against W202 OEM xenon

as you can see on MBenzNL car the light is blue.

and here is mine.

(this is after the light turn on for 1hr , its not the first 10-15 sec)
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwDSAm8Tv4cpobQ!3T*KKomTtXNsO9hDIUppawvo9rhtuMy3v 7YzBU88iPKGJ*yVeoYQURlELsh75uezCFDnN89WPByrpvnfsX4 zS!Rsf24/112-1235_IMG.JPG

Also if you want to do it , do it once do it right.. get OEM ;)

Here is the pic when the light is off, as you can see the reflector shape is different (parabolic shape as opposed to square shape on the Halogen housing)
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwCRFmoUuL1HBhK5cj9qxXnlpTWhQB6Tzo1zUGMI!GwFhtgWH x69yEniot17a*Av7DxQNj7kHQgM5W97SJ!1z2E!hdHGZ2kT*m7 k4oIN*Fk/DSC02609.JPG

For more info
thread 1 (http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1623&highlight=Xenon)
thread 2 (http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1225&highlight=Xenon)
thread 3 (http://www.bnzsport.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9552&highlight=Xenon)
thread 4 (http://www.bnzsport.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7247&highlight=Xenon)

Check out more threads on www.bnzsport.com as well regarding OEM Xenon and aftermarket.

to me the only natural purple hue color produce by Xenon is only with Projector type headlight , not open reflector like W202 headlight.

Regardz,

W202
12-01-2003, 09:23 PM
oh
so the one from the bekker's is the only way to go rite?
does the leveling thingy comes with it?

J Irwan
12-01-2003, 09:25 PM
oh
so the one from the bekker's is the only way to go rite?
does the leveling thingy comes with it?

The one from bekker has the vacum motor "built-in" in the headlight unit

but the vacum hose , and the switch you have to buy separate.

I had help from Steve (MBenzNL) as these are not available in US since they were never an option for US market cars ;)

Regardz,

W202
12-01-2003, 10:00 PM
oh
so where can i get the vacum hose , and the switch ??

Goldeni245
12-02-2003, 02:34 PM
there is someone here in the classified section who is selling their w202 OEM Xenon housing/bulbs/ballast for only 600$!! hurry and get a jump on it. I know i would if i didn't have my hid kit arleady

W202
12-02-2003, 03:12 PM
but is that Oem one same as the bekker's one?

J Irwan
12-02-2003, 03:30 PM
but is that Oem one same as the bekker's one?

Yes..

the only different is that OEM have electric servo motor for self-leveling headlight system, and the bekkers one has vacum motor (for manual adjustment like I have).

Other than that, reflector shape, glass lense, HID bulb, and ballst/igniter they're all the same (exact same brakect for the ballast unit as well).

Regardz,

moebiusgold
12-02-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Goldeni245
there is someone here in the classified section who is selling their w202 OEM Xenon housing/bulbs/ballast for only 600$!! hurry and get a jump on it. I know i would if i didn't have my hid kit arleady
Sorry, I snagged it, at least I sent him an Email saying that I wanted them if everything was included (just have to check).

W202
12-02-2003, 07:41 PM
><
damn..but i think i would like the bekker's one more..
cuz it has the manual leveling..lol..i can play with it

J Irwan
12-02-2003, 08:04 PM
me too

I like the vacum adjuster more since I can do adjust it whenever I want.. :D (it works great on highway at night
:D:D:D)

Regardz,

W202
12-02-2003, 08:15 PM
oh ya one more question
wat light will be the day time light?
xenon???cuz i dont reli want xenon on when is not at night

J Irwan
12-02-2003, 08:19 PM
oh ya one more question
wat light will be the day time light?
xenon???cuz i dont reli want xenon on when is not at night

what year is your car.

I am not aware(never heard of) any W202 with daytime running light.

If you do have it, then it will like any oher car, since your low-beam will be Xenon, then your daytime running light will be xenon as well.

Regardz,

W202
12-02-2003, 09:12 PM
my car is 96 C36
u get wat i meant rite?
like those bmw...they can use normal light instead of xenon

J Irwan
12-02-2003, 09:28 PM
my car is 96 C36
u get wat i meant rite?

Are you talking about city light..?

daytime running like is a setting... which mean whenever you start you car the headlight will be on automatically.

city light is the first click when switch on your headlight, on the factory setup meaning the front corner light will light up.

city-light is used in Most asian and European country.In this country the front corner lense server its only purpose as "turn-signal"

But in US there is no citylight in the headlight housing, but the front corner lense server dual purpose as dimmer light a.k.a city-light and turn signal.

when you switch to Bekker Bosdch HID, it has a citylight bulb (5W wedge type bulb) next to the Low Beam (HID) bulb.

(on this Bosch Euro spec HID , one housing will hold 4 bulbs: 1 low beam (HID), 1 high beam H7, 1 driving fog-light , and 1 city light 5 watt bulb)

OR if you prefer you could keep the current setup the clear light will be light up, instead of the city light.

What you see on my car, is I am using city light as I disconnect the corner light, as of now my corner light purpose only for turn-signal..

I guess I am a little unclear by your definition of "daytime running light". I sensed some confussion with the term.

Regardz,

moebiusgold
12-02-2003, 10:03 PM
my car is 96 C36
u get wat i meant rite?
Now I think that you have both J Irwin and me confused. I thought only newer cars than yours had to have daylight running lights by law. Was yours converted to daylight running or do you mean the integral fog lights which are just inside of the high low beams in the headlights? I'm lost :(
Even if they were on all the time I'dont see the harm. A couple of amps of drain maybe but the "We're going to make it so you have to try real hard to hurt yourself people" probably would think it was better to have brighter dailight lights. The DOT, NTSB, or whoever it was that brought us things like 5MPH bumpers, seatbelts, 3rd brake lights.... Some of is definetly good but..

W202
12-02-2003, 10:31 PM
ok..hm if i installed the hid from bekkers ...it will be on when i shift to D rite?
is it possible to replace the integral fog lights to the lights when the car is shift to D .
i meant is it possible for the integral fog lights turn on when i am in D.. and the hid is turned on seperately manually

Sorry for my poor english
:(

J Irwan
12-02-2003, 11:12 PM
ok..hm if i installed the hid from bekkers ...it will be on when i shift to D rite?
is it possible to replace the integral fog lights to the lights when the car is shift to D .
i meant is it possible for the integral fog lights turn on when i am in D.. and the hid is turned on seperately manually

Sorry for my poor english
:(

oh boy

I don't know how you manage to get me confused

Let me ask you this

1. With the headlight switch off, when you start your car and put the gear in D and dis-enggaged the parking brake , what happen to your headlight..?

Just answer with "on" or "off"

If it stay off that means your car doesn't have Daytime running light.

If it switch on that means your car have the Daytime running light

If you want to explain in detail please think first before you actually type (I don't mean no disrespect here) but your question seems to be inconsistent and confusing.

And let's try to use same jargon

First you ask about the HID, then daytime running light now integral foglight (in which I am not sure which one you're reffering too).

C36 has 2 fog-light
1. Driving fog-light (inside the headlight housing) -- you turned this on by pulling the switch once
2. Auxiliary foglight that is located on the front bumper -- you turn this on by pulling the switch twice This by the way willl also turn on the rear-foglight.

And also I need to ask you what happened to the fog-light on the bumper when you flash/hi-beam

Based on Steve feedback a long time ago, the European Model actually wired parallel the bumper fog-light with highbeam light.

Regardz,

BoominVolvo
12-02-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by J Irwan
oh boy

I don't know how you manage to get me confused

Keep in mind that he is from Canada and I believe Daytime Running Lights have been mandantory for some time now up there.

W202
12-02-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by J Irwan

Let me ask you this

1. With the headlight switch off, when you start your car and put the gear in D and dis-enggaged the parking brake , what happen to your headlight..?

Just answer with "on" or "off"

And also I need to ask you what happened to the fog-light on the bumper when you flash/hi-beam

Regardz,

its on when i put gear in D
and nothing happened to the fog-light on the bumper when i flash/hi-beam

J Irwan
12-03-2003, 07:53 AM
its on when i put gear in D
and nothing happened to the fog-light on the bumper when i flash/hi-beam

based on your answer, seems that your daytime running light is using low-beam.

Therefore if you have HID on your car, your daytime running light will be HID as well..

That is the same as some of 2000-2002 that I have seen locally.
They have daytime running light, so they have their Xenon low-beam on everytime.

Regardz,

nokia8860
12-03-2003, 10:34 AM
If you want your lights not to turn on, check with local law, in the engine compartment where most of your computers are located pull out relay 016 545 74 32 that controlls the day time running lamps.

Since day time running lights run at75% power, or something like that, I am unsure the effects/longevity it will have on hid. Hence I posted the relay to pull just in case.

Best of luck.

W202
12-03-2003, 11:09 AM
is possible to change the intergral fog light to be my day time running light rite?

nokia8860
12-03-2003, 11:31 AM
is possible to change the intergral fog light to be my day time running light rite?

Sure you can. You'll just have to figure out how the relay works and how you can interchange the wires so that it turns on your driving lights and when you flip the headlight switch you low beams come on and your driving lights turn off. But that will require you to pull out various relays/headlights/etc... to figure out.

Its probably more trouble than its worth. Here is my take on this situation.

Unplug the relay. Buy the xenon unit from bekkers. Bolt everything up. And test... ah the light.

Now everytime you drive, per you local law just turn on your headlights. :)

W202
12-03-2003, 06:18 PM
oh where can i get the vacum adjuster ?

nokia8860
12-05-2003, 01:55 PM
oh where can i get the vacum adjuster ?

You mean this stuff?

http://www.joeyandmona.com/albums/album20/MVC_756F.jpg

:p

W202
12-05-2003, 07:44 PM