PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Talk

scchen
12-01-2003, 07:40 AM
Recently, when I was working on my C230 Kompressor I saw how the exhaust looks under this car. I was amazed with all those restrictions it can still output those sweet HP numbers. Does anyone on this forum know why I should leave that setup alone? At least I know one reason why they have those mufflers. Noise reduction. Does it really need 4 muffler/resonators? It is very ineffiecient for the car from the fuel economy point of view.
Is this like the airbox for the C230 K where you can't modified it because you will lose HP? Is that true?

Your feedabcks is greatly appreciated.

scchen
12-01-2003, 07:53 AM
I forgot to include the year of my C230K. It is a 99 C230 K sedan. Thx.

CKlasse
12-01-2003, 08:05 AM
check out the C43 SYSTEM we did for TUMP43
LINK (http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1711)

scchen
12-01-2003, 09:14 AM
Thanks for that link. The pics. cleared a lot of things up for me. That exhaust is nicely done. Great taste no matter which exhaust tip you choose.

The images helped me understood the system. I assume the 2 canisters up front are cat. converter. The x-pipe is definitely hot. Thanks for the feedback.

CKlasse
12-01-2003, 01:42 PM
I am glad it helps you! Let me know if you need anything :)

Roger
12-17-2003, 04:27 PM
I have modified the exhaust on my 99 c230 Kompressor with a dyno verified gain of 15 hp at the rear wheels. I removed the resonator and installed a 3" cat back exhaust toped off with a Kleeman rear muffler. I should mention that the car is equipped with a Kleeman pulley kit and a dyno tuned absolute chip. With each modification we dyno the car to measure the impact in horsepower at the rear wheels. Since we are pushing more air we benefited from less restriction in the exhaust. We were able to maximize the benefit by tuning the chip. The car is louder than stock. The Kleeman muffler alone increased the growl but removing the resonator increased the volume considerably. At high speed the vehicle definatley sounds modified. Of course it runs like a scalded cat! I use my wife as my trip wire on noise and she has not admonished me about waking people up so it can not be to bad.

JDoggery
12-17-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Roger
I have modified the exhaust on my 99 c230 Kompressor with a dyno verified gain of 15 hp at the rear wheels. I removed the resonator and installed a 3" cat back exhaust toped off with a Kleeman rear muffler. I should mention that the car is equipped with a Kleeman pulley kit and a dyno tuned absolute chip. With each modification we dyno the car to measure the impact in horsepower at the rear wheels. Since we are pushing more air we benefited from less restriction in the exhaust. We were able to maximize the benefit by tuning the chip. The car is louder than stock. The Kleeman muffler alone increased the growl but removing the resonator increased the volume considerably. At high speed the vehicle definatley sounds modified. Of course it runs like a scalded cat! I use my wife as my trip wire on noise and she has not admonished me about waking people up so it can not be to bad.

Do you have any pics of this? What was the cost?

DougandhisC280
12-17-2003, 10:00 PM
With the pully and the chip it is good to have a lot of free flowing air out of the engine. But if you just remove these mufflers on a non modified engine you will lose backpressure which will also cause a loss in torque and horsepower.

CKlasse
12-18-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by DougandhisC280
With the pully and the chip it is good to have a lot of free flowing air out of the engine. But if you just remove these mufflers on a non modified engine you will lose backpressure which will also cause a loss in torque and horsepower.

Incorrect. He has a highflow cat installed after the pre-cat. Pre-cat should give you a good 1psi back pressure. :)

nudymeyer6
12-18-2003, 03:21 PM
why do you need backpressure in the exhaust?