PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if Wiring harness has been changed?

BoominVolvo
12-02-2003, 11:00 PM
I'm probably going to check out a few C280s this weekend and I'm familiar with the wiring harness problems. Is there any way to tell without repair records whether or not a wiring harness has been changed?

What about a head gasket?

Thanks

Martin Kosonen

J Irwan
12-02-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by BoominVolvo
I'm probably going to check out a few C280s this weekend and I'm familiar with the wiring harness problems. Is there any way to tell without repair records whether or not a wiring harness has been changed?

What about a head gasket?

Thanks

Martin Kosonen

Are we talking about 94-97 C280 (I-6) not the V-6..?

I am afraid there is really no telling.
Unless it was very recently been replaced, the easy way to spot it ,in my opinion it to remove the cover for the fuel rail.
If you look the back of each fuel injector is has wiring harness attach to it, those are part of the whole engine wiring harness

but if it was replaced a year ago and then it got dirty then it will be a lot harder to tell whether the engine wiring harness has been replaced or not.

as for head gasket, I would check the oil leak around the head gasket are.

Off course service history record would be great.

Regardz,

jnolte
12-02-2003, 11:56 PM
Yes very hard to tell unless it was just done! head gasket is easier to check.

moebiusgold
12-03-2003, 06:10 AM
This is one time I give MB:) . If your car had work done anywhere in the US by a MB dealer it will show up when they run a history of your VIN No. Mine was replaced out of warrantee by a dealer for free. They were lazy and cut off a couple grounds lugs and left them on the posts, then put the new harness over them!:( But now I know what dealer did it!:) Lots of info to be had there. From the sunds of it these I6 eat head gaskets:( My old 280 at 490 k still has the orig.!! one.:)

Brabus
12-03-2003, 02:44 PM
Service records are going to be your best bet